1.    #1  
    Read this on some newswire late last night. TMo has decided to offer free WiFi at all its hotspots, on weekends only, to all subscribers (current and new). Can't try this myself, b/c I switched to Cingular. Tmo has no towers nor FCC license in N.C.; I could roam at will without $$ penalty, but couldn't get a local number nor enjoy mobile-to-mobile with hubby. Hence, we finally broke down and switched in January, about a year after moving to N.C.

http://hotspot.t-mobile.com/freeweekends/

<sigh>
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    This is t-mo's way of giving back to the community

Especially since they recently jacked up the price of their data service plans to $50.00 from $20.00

This could be their way of getting ready to compete with verizon sometime next year when they start rolling out UMT service or HSPDA or whatever
    Nice - thanks for the info. I was able to get them to give me the $19.99 Unlimited Internet (no hotspots) plan when they started blocking t-zones access on PDA-phones. I really fought the $29.99 Internet+hotspot plan because I don't have an MDA yet and couldn't justify the extra cost for wi-fi access when my Treo couldn't even accomodate it.

But with free hotspots on weekends I might not need wi-fi in my plan at all when I get my MDA.

Thanks again for the word.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    I think the free hotspot deal is for a limited time only
    Yeah, that's too bad. I'd imagine they'd have to run it for a couple months at least though, just so people would get to use it more than once.
    http://brighthand.com/article/T-Mobi...way_Free_Wi-Fi

"Although T-Mobile has offered Wi-Fi service for years, it charges for it.

Now, however, this company's phone customers can use its Wi-Fi access points for free on Saturdays or Sundays.

This offer is good at any of the 6,500 T-Mobile HotSpot locations around the world. These can be found at coffee shops, hotels, and many other locations.

The company refers to this as a limited-time promotion, but has not announced an end date."
    Can you use the wifi on your laptop, or does it have to be with the phone? By the way, which Treos have wifi??? Does the 700w have it?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    700w has wifi with a wifi card. But its currently for the Verizon network only.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 03/07/2006 at 03:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    By the way, which Treos have wifi???
    That is funny on so many levels.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    That is funny on so many levels.
    Yeah, I thought this would be useless for us, unless it can be used on a laptop. . .
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    <merged> JackNaylorPE, you ain't searching

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Yeah, I thought this would be useless for us, unless it can be used on a laptop. . .
    From what I see on TMo's site, they just need your phone#. To access HotSpot, you either need a wireless card or a handheld with Wifi capability, see below:

6. Do I need to retrieve a new pass code for each Wi-Fi access during the promotion?

Each weekend you will be required to receive a new pass code to access free T-Mobile HotSpot Wi-Fi service. If you're accessing the service multiple times during the same weekend and allow cookies on your laptop or PDA, you will be automatically logged into theT-Mobile HotSpot network by simply clicking the Free Weekends link on the login page. If you don't allow cookies or deleted your cookies, then you'll have to retrieve a new pass code via text message. We use cookies simply to guarantee quick and seamless Internet access during the same weekend period.
    9. Can I access the Free Weekends promotion on my Wi-Fi enabled laptop, PDA, or T-Mobile phone?

Yes. As long as you are a T-Mobile phone subscriber, you can participate in the Free Weekends promotion using any Wi-Fi enabled device.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 03/07/2006 at 07:24 PM.