1.    #1  
    Using a T650 with the Select Network hack on Cingular in Florida. Until this week, there have always been three entries on the Select Network screen. Testing led me to determine the top one was Cingular Orange, the second one was Cingular Blue and the third one was T-Mobile. Cingular Orange is weak and spotty in central Florida so I've always switched over to Blue and received a solid four bars of signal strength no matter where I wandered. Starting a few days ago, there have been only two selections available on the Select Network screen, Orange and T-Mobile.

Is anyone aware of changes at Cingular? Have they taken Blue offline or something? If Blue is no longer available around here, I'd be inclined to switch to another carrier, even if it meant losing quad band.

Thanks for any information.

John
    I recently test drove a Cingular 8125 ( which is a fantastic phone ) and when it was sent to me they advised me I had to migrate to orange since blue was no longer a viable network. Apparenlty they are trying to migrate all over to orange.
  3.    #3  
    I found out they are working on some of the towers in central and north Florida. That's why Blue is down right now. At least that's what the rep on the phone said... but we have all seen cases where they outright lie. Anyway, they may be installing the upgraded tower switching hardware like they did in south Florida last fall. Patience, I suppose.
    I don't know about your particular area, but all of Cingular's markets that have both an orange and a blue network are integrating the two networks into one this year. In fact all the networks are supposed to be integrated by this summer, so if your network wasn't integrated, it should be in the process of integration or about to start. That would be my guess as to what is going on in your neck of the woods, not some kind of tower outage (anything is possible though).
    Treo 650 GSM
  5.    #5  
    I think you're right, helpermonkey. The outtage and poor signal strength cleared up within a couple of days. There are now only two choices available on the Select Network hack, Cingular and the other Cingular-which-is-actually-TMobile. The Cingular signal is back to a solid four bars in this area. Looks like they completed the integration (...that should have been done a long time ago). Thanks for the feedback.
    I know it seems like intergration should have been done a long time ago, but you probably have no idea how much planning, work and money is involved in integrating the two networks. On top of that many markets are working on UMTS as well (or have recently launched the service). Hopefully the end result will be better than what you had to start with.
    Treo 650 GSM
    i am getting a new treo because of it
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=108910
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    I recently test drove a Cingular 8125 ( which is a fantastic phone ) and when it was sent to me they advised me I had to migrate to orange since blue was no longer a viable network. Apparenlty they are trying to migrate all over to orange.
    its not a network issue its a billing issue that you dont see, the older billing systems of older cingular customers and AT&T dont quite go into the new billing systems correctly this benefits the customer in being able to get new phones at discounted priceing well before they would have been eligable. The down side is that the CSR in the store cant see as much from the older billing systems to assist older customers. this is just a compatabuility issue with the older billing systems and thier new system OPUS. The reason for the change streamlines new activation and contract exceptence processes for the CSR and the Customer.
    Will the recent purchase of Bellsouth by ATT make any difference at all with the cellular services?
    Gimme the P-Funk!