Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 149
  1. #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
    What's the current word on this situation? I currently have MediaNet Unlimited ($19.99) but want to get a new phone. Will they let me grandfather it in?
    I have the same question. Will the same $20 MediaWorks plan I have allow me to use the UMTS/HSDPA data network?
    Off to iPhone land...
  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman View Post
    I have the same question. Will the same $20 MediaWorks plan I have allow me to use the UMTS/HSDPA data network?
    I have the 750v and use the $20 data plan and am able to get UMTS speeds. I have not tried to hack anything to increase to HSDPA.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
  3. #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by sygyzy View Post
    What's the current word on this situation? I currently have MediaNet Unlimited ($19.99) but want to get a new phone. Will they let me grandfather it in?
    If you buy an unlocked phone, there's no reason to even tell them.

    If you buy a new Cingular branded phone, just tell them you replacing an old / broken phone and don't need any changes to your plan.

    If you want to use one of those $200 discount rebates which require both a new $39.99 voice plan AND a $39.99 data plan, then no you won't be able to use the $19.99 plan. Look at it this way that $200 coupon / rebate they gave you is paid for after only 10 months on ya new 24 month plan.
  4. #124  
    so the bottom line is those of us with the $20 media works unlimited data, 1500 sms, 200 mms photos shouldn't change anything or upgrade to anything other than an unlocked phone, correct?
    Off to iPhone land...
  5. #125  
    Yes. Don't inform Cingular that you moved to a phone that may require you to purchase PDA Connect.

    Plus unbranded is often better anyway.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman View Post
    so the bottom line is those of us with the $20 media works unlimited data, 1500 sms, 200 mms photos shouldn't change anything or upgrade to anything other than an unlocked phone, correct?
    1. How would they know ? You don't have to buy the phone from Cingular. You can walk into a brick and mortar, buy a phone and swap SIMS.

    2. The ONLY way you can be forced into a new contract, normally, is if you use a "new customer rebate". In order for Cingular to spring for that $200 credit, they have to have a way to earn it back.

    3. Every cell phone contract contains language saying that they reserve the right to cancel any pland upon contract completion. Never seen / heard of it happening....yet.
  7. #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Y
    Plus unbranded is often better anyway.
    Right. I've got an unbranded 650 right now, and I think that I'll be looking for another unbranded when I upgrade.
    Off to iPhone land...
  8. #128  
    Doh, I guess I'm going to have to dig deep and pay for another unbranded phone...I was actually thinking of the 8525 or a T750. Where is a "good" site/place to consider purchasing from?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
  9. one918's Avatar
    Posts
    229 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    #129  
    Ok, so here's a question. I got a Treo 750 from Ebay. I have the Mediamax 1000 for $20, but I need a new 3G sim card. I've read about people walking into the store and being given a new card and people having to pay for them. Either way, don't they have to program the new card, are they going to ask why I need the card? I have a Treo 650 now, but still show a Moto Razr
  10. #130  
    You could always say you were having reception problems, called CS, and they told you to go to a store to get a new SIM. Definitely play dumb like you don't know if it'll help or not, you were just told to. Having been "told" to get a new SIM kind of puts the store person in a situation where they can't charge you for something you were told to get. Just say "the CS person said the SIM would be free."
    If they try to give you an older non-3G SIM, ask if you can get a new 3G SIM because in a month or so you plan to get a 3G phone and don't want to have to get a new SIM again.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  11. #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF View Post
    Ok, so here's a question. I got a Treo 750 from Ebay. I have the Mediamax 1000 for $20, but I need a new 3G sim card. I've read about people walking into the store and being given a new card and people having to pay for them. Either way, don't they have to program the new card, are they going to ask why I need the card? I have a Treo 650 now, but still show a Moto Razr
    Cingular was recently offering to upgrade the old SIM to a 64 SIM (i am assuming that is the "3G" card) for free. Just go to Cingular and tell them you want the new SIM for the RAZR and then install it in the new TREO. I did this recently when I was notified that the new card would not be compatible with the TREO 600 I owned. I then went and bought the 650.

    T.
  12. #132  
    I just got off the phone with Cingular Customer service after a 45-minute call. I receive my bills via email and rarely pay much attention to them since I don't make any changes. I bought my 650 in Feb 05 and purchased the MediaWorks unlimited plan for $15. My bill this month was for $350!
    I called and was informed that I went into a Cingular store in November and changed my plan! I never did! I asked the rep to look at my usage pattern and tell me why I would ever do that? I asked her if she had a copy of the contract that I allegedly signed and she said she had an electronic copy. I asked her if it had my signature and she said as long as I had the last 4 digits of my SSN that no signature would have been required.
    I asked her to send me a copy of the contract, as well as the name of the sales clerk who performed the change and the store that clerk was working in. She didn't think she would be able to do that.
    I am so frustrated! She said she couldn't reinstate my MediaWorks plan because it no longer exists! I know it is still in existence because I have friends with the plan.
    My account has been credited for the overage this month, thankfully. I don't know what to do now. Should I pay to unlock my phone and move to T-Mobile? What would any of you do?

    Laurie
  13. #133  
    Laurie. It sounds like the store rep "flipped" your feature. That's where they take off the feature you have, then put it back on with thier name so that they get the comission for signing you up.
    To the reps they see "Media Works" and they can't tell if it's the old "unlimited" or the newer "5MB" version of media works. They just see media works. So the rep probabally thought he was doing something that you'd never even notice. This is exactly what happened to me.
    By the way a few months ago they started enforcing this by firing reps for doing it if they caught them.

    Since that plan hasn't been available in a very long time, there really is slim to no chance that they can even find a way to get it back.
    The plan you had should have been $19.99, not $15. I never heard of a $15 unlimited, but there was a $20 unlimited media works.

    You can add "Media Max 200" which is very similar. It's unlimited data (unlmited media net) with 200 "messages". "Messages" is text messages and multimedia messages (they comeout of the same 200 bucket.)

    This isn't as good as the old media works which was unlimited + 1500 text + 200 MMS. But it is unlmiited + 200 Text/mms. For $20.

    I would suggest you call up and insist that since you can't get our old media works unlimited back that they give you "Media Max 200"
    they also have Media Max 1000 which is ($30) and has 1000 text/mms.

    You can also log in to your account online at cingular.com and might be able to add the feature that way. depending on what phone you have, this ability is disabled so you might have to call.

    That's my suggestion.

    Switching to T-Mobile isn't a bad idea. But if you want a 3G Treo in the future (like the 750) then T-Mobile doesn't have 3G yet. Also t-mobile's coverage isn't as good in some areas (just as good in some though.)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  14. #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by lauriefoss View Post
    I just got off the phone with Cingular Customer service after a 45-minute call. I receive my bills via email and rarely pay much attention to them since I don't make any changes. I bought my 650 in Feb 05 and purchased the MediaWorks unlimited plan for $15. My bill this month was for $350!
    I called and was informed that I went into a Cingular store in November and changed my plan! I never did! I asked the rep to look at my usage pattern and tell me why I would ever do that? I asked her if she had a copy of the contract that I allegedly signed and she said she had an electronic copy. I asked her if it had my signature and she said as long as I had the last 4 digits of my SSN that no signature would have been required.
    I asked her to send me a copy of the contract, as well as the name of the sales clerk who performed the change and the store that clerk was working in. She didn't think she would be able to do that.
    I am so frustrated! She said she couldn't reinstate my MediaWorks plan because it no longer exists! I know it is still in existence because I have friends with the plan.
    My account has been credited for the overage this month, thankfully. I don't know what to do now. Should I pay to unlock my phone and move to T-Mobile? What would any of you do?

    Laurie
    taylorh could be right about the existence of your $15.00 plan, and there is an "unlimited" Media Net at 19.99, as described by taylorh. Chances are if you were still being billed $15.00 for Media Net then that plan only includes 5mb and sounds like you're using a lot more data than that.

    As far as the erroneous plan change goes, welcome the wireless customer service! Pardon my French, but it sucks no matter which provider you use. That has been my experience after about 15+ years of wireless subscriptions. It keeps getting worse with all the merges and consolidation.

    Good Luck!
  15. #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomd4re View Post
    taylorh could be right about the existence of your $15.00 plan, and there is an "unlimited" Media Net at 19.99, as described by taylorh. Chances are if you were still being billed $15.00 for Media Net then that plan only includes 5mb and sounds like you're using a lot more data than that.

    As far as the erroneous plan change goes, welcome the wireless customer service! Pardon my French, but it sucks no matter which provider you use. That has been my experience after about 15+ years of wireless subscriptions. It keeps getting worse with all the merges and consolidation.

    Good Luck!
    It has not so much to do with their "service", it's this flip-flopping of bits the employees do for some bizarre reason. I'd scream and yell until I found out exactly who touched my account and raise unholy hell with supervisors to get that person in trouble. You can find out who did it, since you didn't authorize it, you just have to convince them to look. They pretend it doesn't exist.
  16. #136  
    Thanks so much for all of the info. I didn't know about the manipulation by the reps to get commission. That's info I can use! The customer service rep will be calling me back and I hope that armed with this new vocabulary I'll be able to get what I need.
    TreoCentral rocks!
    Laurie
  17. #137  
    Great news. I just got a text message from Cingular Customer service. My $20 MediaWorks plan has been reinstated.
    They must know about the "flipping" too!
    Thanks for all of the advice. I hope it helps someone else in this circumstance.

    Laurie
  18. #138  
    So you flipped 'em the 'owl' and got it back.. Yay..
  19. #139  
    I haven't been in a Cingular store since I bought my first Treo 650 Cingular branded because I got tired of waiting for unbranded Raodshow 650's. My plan just switched and I went through the 45 minute call with a rep to see what happen to my Media Works plan.

    The rep told me I went into a store and changed the plan. I said, "I went into the store to raise the price of my bill without changing any features, that makes sense." He told me he couldn't tell which store... blah blah blah He said he had to escalate the issue to get my plan back. This is like the 6th time this has happen in 6 years.

    I have the Media Works unlimited/1500/200 plan.
  20. #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I haven't been in a Cingular store since I bought my first Treo 650 Cingular branded because I got tired of waiting for unbranded Raodshow 650's. My plan just switched and I went through the 45 minute call with a rep to see what happen to my Media Works plan.

    The rep told me I went into a store and changed the plan. I said, "I went into the store to raise the price of my bill without changing any features, that makes sense." He told me he couldn't tell which store... blah blah blah He said he had to escalate the issue to get my plan back. This is like the 6th time this has happen in 6 years.

    I have the Media Works unlimited/1500/200 plan.
    How many others of you out there have had this problem? If it's widespread, like I think it is, is there some action that should be taken on a corporate level by customers? I would be up for a little corporate shake and bake!
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions