Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    ... And on that note, could some nice moderator lock this topic?
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    I'm a "Former AT&T" Cingular customer (Cingular Blue?). I've been on the Charter GSM plan ($99 unlimited calling per month) for years, and needless to say, I'll never leave it. But I've been spending another $20 a month for 8mb of Data each month. When I heard about the $19.99 MediaNet Unlimited, I called to switch over. I was told I was not eligible for that because I'm a a "Former AT&T" customer, not a Cingular customer. But I was offered the $25 mMode Unlimited plan, which would give me unlimited data. I took it, so now I am supposedly free to use as much Data as I want...
    Quote Originally Posted by DTS
    I might, if that weren't coming from yourself. (the guy who kept getting all bent out of shape every time a certain poster would bring up the "freezing" issue, or started any post regarding that particular topic)
    He, like you, would keep ranting about the same thing over and over.. So again, get over yourself, sparky.
  4. DTS
    based on many of your replies, you have some serious underlying anger/tension issues. seek some help, or go relieve yourself when your alone some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTS
    based on many of your replies, you have some serious underlying anger/tension issues. seek some help, or go relieve yourself when your alone some time.
    Seriously? Read your own posts.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/se...archid=4121119
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    No, have to stay on GSM.

But this is only for Treos and other PDAs, right? They can't be charging $40/month for simple phones??
    What in hell is with Cingular? Data is data, right? Web surfing is web surfing, right?

Just because a business person uses a combined appliance, he has to pay more? I've been a Cingular (pacbell cellular) customer since 1998. The customer service has slowly deteriorated since then (especially since the ATT merger) and now they have begun to hold everyone, even their best customers, hostage. I.E. the recent increase in the "early nights" feature jacking the price up nearly 30% even for existing users.

I'm sick of it!
    Here's a clue, newb...

$20 = Unlimited data for regular phones, NAT, cannot use VPN.
    $40 = Unlimited data for PDAs, real IP address, everything works including VPN.
    $80 = Laptop data connect, real IP, everything works, high usage expected.
    Don't they have Smartphone Connect now too? They have not updated their site to tell what goes with what phone. They have phones from 2 years ago still listed!!

http://www.cingular.com/media/media_phones
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by tomd4re View Post
    What in hell is with Cingular? Data is data, right? Web surfing is web surfing, right?

Just because a business person uses a combined appliance, he has to pay more? I've been a Cingular (pacbell cellular) customer since 1998. The customer service has slowly deteriorated since then (especially since the ATT merger) and now they have begun to hold everyone, even their best customers, hostage. I.E. the recent increase in the "early nights" feature jacking the price up nearly 30% even for existing users.

I'm sick of it!
    I am going to assume due to the other's person's post that you get more functionality out of PDA Connect. I still use Media Net though. I switch SIMS between phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I am going to assume due to the other's person's post that you get more functionality out of PDA Connect. I still use Media Net though. I switch SIMS between phones.
    Okay, thanks. More functionality? I guess even after nearly four years of TREO use, I still AM a "newbie"...not geeky enough to know what VPN is...virtual private network? And "NAT"?

Why is that useful when using a PDA vs say a Motorola Razor?
    Quote Originally Posted by tomd4re View Post
    Okay, thanks. More functionality? I guess even after nearly four years of TREO use, I still AM a "newbie"...not geeky enough to know what VPN is...virtual private network? And "NAT"?

Why is that useful when using a PDA vs say a Motorola Razor?
    I'm not good with some of this either. Looks like there are restrictions on Media Net, and less on PDA Connect

All I need is to get email and light web surfing. I don't think I need a dedicated IP address(what PDA Connect offers). I don't even like dedicated IP addresses on my computer, I prefer dynamic. But there must be a benefit of some type on a PDA, I just don't know what.

But here's NAT info:

"Short for Network Address Translation, an Internet standard that enables a local-area network (LAN) to use one set of IP addresses for internal traffic and a second set of addresses for external traffic. A NAT box located where the LAN meets the Internet makes all necessary IP address translations.

NAT serves three main purposes:

Provides a type of firewall by hiding internal IP addresses
    Enables a company to use more internal IP addresses. Since they're used internally only, there's no possibility of conflict with IP addresses used by other companies and organizations.
    Allows a company to combine multiple ISDN connections into a single Internet connection."

I going to assume that means on Media Net(the one for regular phones) you will have to use a shared IP address with other users? Or your IP address will keep changing every time you sign on? Or both. Your phone will have no real ID.

Why would you want your PDA to be identified every time(dedicated IP with PDA Connect)? Can someone tell me the benefit, please?

With VPN, you can use it to connect to your home or business network? That may be useful for some, but I have not needed to use it. However I can see how that might be benefit of PDA Connect. Assuming I am correct about connecting to your home or business network. Maybe that's the reason for the dedicated IP, so your networks know who you are when you try to connect.

Perhaps the more experienced users can tell us. I just don't want to pay for something I never use anyway. Media Net seems to be fine, so far.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 10/01/2006 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Too much thinking, LOL!

ARGH. Where do the people who write these documents get their information from!

NAT=Network Address Translation
    Takes ANY addresses on a given subnet and turns "aggregates" them into one address.

Is NOT a "firewall" (but PAT is)

Connections don't have to be ISDN... any IP implementation can be translated

VPN:
    Creates an encrypted, authenticated tunnel to a remote network and causes the client to be seen as a member of that network. Authentication is done by username/password a specific IP is not needed.

Thanks for the info. I copied that from some website.

But I still can't tell what the benefit of having a dedicated IP address on a PDA phone is. Is it to connect to your home or business network so it can identify you?

Looks like I was wrong about VPN. Like I said, I'm not good with this.

I need an example of VPN so I can figure out if I need this or not.

If you don't know what VPN is, you don't need it.. It's one of those things.

VPN is generally used to connect into a private LAN as if you plugged into the LAN directly. IE: At work, I can access all the file and web servers, etc, but they aren't available from home. I connect my VPN client into work from home, and I have access to all those web/file servers. Remote access into the network.

I'm not sure offhand what the advantage to having a real IP on a cellular connection would be. VPN doesn't need it, it just needs the router that does the NAT to handle the passthrough of the data.
    Chatter requires it (on GSM) for push e-mail from Exchange servers.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    If you don't know what VPN is, you don't need it.. It's one of those things.

VPN is generally used to connect into a private LAN as if you plugged into the LAN directly. IE: At work, I can access all the file and web servers, etc, but they aren't available from home. I connect my VPN client into work from home, and I have access to all those web/file servers. Remote access into the network.

I'm not sure offhand what the advantage to having a real IP on a cellular connection would be. VPN doesn't need it, it just needs the router that does the NAT to handle the passthrough of the data.

Thanks! So would I need this to get into my home network? Or do I need to do something else? Although I haven't had the need to access files on my computer while out, you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Chatter requires it (on GSM) for push e-mail from Exchange servers.
    ..unless you convince your IT folks to enable imap on your exchange server ;-)

That'll let you sync your email, just not the rest.
    A question I have might also answer Diva's question.
    I currently use PalmVNC to access my office computer. I use no-ip, and I do have the PDA Connect (39.99) plan. So I was wondering; because I am Not using VPN, will the 19.99 Media Plan work?
    Is there anyone here using VNC with the 19.99 plan?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    A question I have might also answer Diva's question.
    I currently use PalmVNC to access my office computer. I use no-ip, and I do have the PDA Connect (39.99) plan. So I was wondering; because I am Not using VPN, will the 19.99 Media Plan work?
    Is there anyone here using VNC with the 19.99 plan?
    VNC should work fine. I've never tried it. Unless you intentionally changed your PDA's settings, you're probably already using wap.cingular (associated with Media net). You can always connect using wap.cingular and try it for yourself. If it works, then you don't need the PDA connect plan because all it gains you is the option of using isp.cingular..

Here are two former posts of mine that should answer all of your questions as to what the difference is between the two access points on Cingular (wap.cingular and isp.cingular):
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?p=601700
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?p=664589

If it wasn't made clear:
    $20/$30 MediaMax (Media net) plans allow access to ONLY: wap.cingular
    $40 PDA and $60/$80 Laptop connect plans allow access to BOTH: wap.cingular and isp.cingular.
    Rule of thumb;
    $30 and cheaper plans = wap.cingular (only)
    $40 and more expensive plans = wap.cingular AND isp.cingular
    (this rule transcends all data plans.)

Take note that Cingular PDAs all come pre-configured to use wap.cingular. Therefore you only use isp.cingular if you manually enter the settings.

So what's the difference?
    As already explained....

wap.cingular is behind a NAPT router (network address and port translation.) It's like being inside/behind your home router/firewall at home (like a Linksys, netgear, etc.) and lets you do all the same things you would be able to do at home in just such a case.

isp.cingular gives you a real IP address just as if you connected directly in to a cable modem or DSL modem (that doesn't have a bult in router.) This connection is like being in FRONT of your home router/firewally at home. It's actually more like being the uplink of your home firewall router. It affords you nearly the same flexibility as being in front of a firewall/roter.

So what's the advantage of isp.cingular? Well as you know there's very little that you can't do behind your router/firewall at home. The only 1 thing I've identified is PPTP VPN.

PPTP VPN is the type of VPN that WindowsXP uses as it's built in VPN under "Create VPN connection." It's a less secure type of VPN than the other type which is called IPSec. WindowsXP is also capable of doing IPSec, but the VPN set up wizard creates the more simple PPTP type as ISPec can be rather complicated to set up.
    Most corporate VPN solutions are all IPSec. Usually there's a VPN server at the corporate network that accepts incoming connections. You usually run a program on your laptop or home PC that sets up the VPN connection to the corporate VPN server (to simplify setup.)

The software MergicVPN is a PPTP client for connecting to PPTP endpoints. The only software that does IPSec for PalmOS is Antha VPN.
    (WM5 has IPSec capability built in.)

Why does PPTP not work on wap.cingular?
    PPTP uses something called "GRE" packets which some NAPT routers simply don't have the capability of forwarding. Especially older ones. Cingular's is one of those.
    Most IPSec VPN solutions support "IPSec over NAT" which is why it's usually not affected.

So who or why would you need to use isp.cingular? You'd only need to use it for PPTP VPN. IPSec VPN and almost every other thing you'll ever want to do works fine on wap.cingular. I've use wap.cingular for 2 years and never found a thing that didn't work. Even chatter's IMAP push and WM5's direct push work very well over wap.cingular.

Here's a quote from a forum posting by a cingular support person:
    On Cingular Orange we use NAPT (Network Address & Port Translation). This works with some VPN solutions (like IPSec over UDP) but not others (like IPSec ESP). On Cingular Blue (AT&T Wireless), we currently use NAT (no port translation) and all the standard VPN solutions seem to work well (IPSec ESP, IPSec over UDP, PPTP, Checkpoint VPN, GRE, etc.) except IPSec AH (authenticated headers).

If you find a service doesn't working through NAPT or NAT then you can always add an APN that gives you a dynamic public IP address (Orange "isp.cingular" or Blue "internet"). Note that you should protect your laptop using a personal firewall product if you use a pulic IP solution.

Note - I work on the technical side and don't have access to the tools needed to solve individual subscriber account problems.
    I should add that contorary to what some thing, there are no TCP/IP ports blocked on wap.cingular. I've never found evidence of any blocked ports. There may be a few wierd things people have tried to do that doesn't work over NAPT, which might be why some may claim this.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Thanks,
    I really appreciate the detail you put into your post.
    I will changing my plan, it's discouraging how many people they get to sign up for the PDA Connect Plan.
    For 2yrs I've been on PDA Connect.
    Jerks!
    Just call me Berd.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast