Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ghiscott
    I have an unlocked Cingular Treo 650 and I got a T-mo service. It works well.

Cingular killed my "media-net $20 per month" data service about 1 year ago. It seems that I use a lot of data and they noticed. Welcome to the party (as he opens the heavy wooden door and steps out of the way for the soon-to-come rush of Shingular subscribers)
    Did you get a letter, e-mail, phone call? any notice that the change was being made to your plans?

Should I make it a daily habit to login to my Cingular account every day to check?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Did you get a letter, e-mail, phone call? any notice that the change was being made to your plans?

Should I make it a daily habit to login to my Cingular account every day to check?
    That is what ticked me off so much! They just killed the data function and when I called customer service I was passed around many CSRs until I was finally told that it was "disconnected" because I had to get pda connect.

I don't use my treo to stream or for frivilous activities. I use it to access online server resources to support a 24 x 7 datacenter support office. I get called while I am in the field/transit and I am expected to get online to take care of a problem. If the treo is not working, it is a problem for me.

AND I want to say that I had no idea I was doing anything wrong! When I bought the darned thing on the Palm web site, I checked the ONLY data option that was available at the time and proceeded about my merry way.

The point to you is this: If your data service is very important to you, then just convert to pda connect and forget about it. The difference is something like $120 per year and in my case, if my treo gets in the way of my work, it could easily cost me that $120 !

Again- I cannot convey strongly enough how shocking it was for them to treat my case in the manner they did.

The passion I have about this comes from being treated like a grain of sand and yeah, my $130 per month is not a lot to cingular. Their cellular service is supposed to enable me and help me to have a more pleasant life. It is supposed to help me be more productive. That week, they ended up causing a big headache for me and ruffled a lot of feathers of the people I work for. Cingular cannot even acknowledge that and we really have no choice but to accept it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    IIRC, Cingular has the most liberal fine print, but it's posted here in the "Fine Print" thread.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=106657

More rumor and a bit of bad training on Cingular's part. The problem was explained to me by a 2nd level TS peep at Cingular. CSR's are trained to point Treo owners to the PDA plan because they had too manmy problems and service calls from people why were complaing that their e-mail wouldn't work and they were giving the thing back to get a crackberry. So they ask 2nd level TS what to do and tey tell them to tell user to get PDA plan cause they need VPN. No need to lie to CSR's at Coingular, just tell them you have a Treo but don't need VPN so all you need is the MediaNet plan.

Just recently, I called Cingular cause they bumped me up to a $24.99 plan and I asked them to plop it back down to $19.99. I added some SMS messaging to other phones on the family plan and they mistakenly added it to my plan also. So during the conversation I also asked them to unlock the phone. He asked what type of phone I had and I said Treo 650....he then said "Oh you will need a PDA plan for that".....I responded, "No, I don't need VPN so the MediaNet works for me just fine". His response, "OK, you don't need it then"
    Looks what it says on their site chart for the 650. I have heard of inconsistencies from Cingular too. But their site clearly now says PDA Connect and not Media Net for the 650.

https://www.cingular.com/media/media_phones
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    This is NOT a change. This has been the case since day 1 when I picked up the Cingular Treo the day it was released in February.

Alternate A - 650 without VPN = MediaNet = $19.99
    Alternate B - 650 with VPN = PDAConnect = $39.99

These pricing plan has been in effect since the very first day Cingular offered the 650 and these plans remain in effect today . Unless you wanna yank mail of corporate private servers, you don't need VPN. If a CSR says you do, explain that you do NOT need VPN because you do not need to sync with a corporate server and they will give you the MediaNet Unlimited Plan.
    This isn't made clear on the site. Do you get this only when you talk to a rep? That is where all the inconsistencies have come from, reps telling and selling different people different things. Then the customer ends up paying when Cingular finds out they have a 650. I still don't know what to believe.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    No, no, no

The change in data plan will take effect when the Hollywood debuts on cingular on or about #^$%@*$ 1st.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    I just got off the phone with Cingular about this, specifying that my data connection was only for personal use, and never for corporate email or VPN shenanigans. The CSR started with the "MediaNet is not compatible" bit, put me on hold a couple of times, but finally came back to say:

1. The $19.99 MediaNet is fine for non-"corporate email" use
    2. Cingular will not change features without contacting you first

Of course, this is a significant change from calling yesterday, which revealed:

1. Treos must use PDA connect, but not all accounts have been "fixed" yet
    2. Cingular "may" or "should" contact you before changing the data rates

Who knows? Wendell Phillips probably said it best in 1852: "Eternal vigilance is the price of MEdiaNet."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Looks what it says on their site chart for the 650. I have heard of inconsistencies from Cingular too. But their site clearly now says PDA Connect and not Media Net for the 650.

https://www.cingular.com/media/media_phones
    Yes if you order a Treo, there is no MediaNet option on the purchase page. I am of the mindset that 90% of the CSR's at Verizon / Sprint / T-Mobile / Cingular recahed a point in there career where they didn't like coming home smelling like cooking oil and were tired of saying "you wanna supersize that ? The other 10% are great peeps. OTOH, it's not really their fault.

The problem with all of these companies is the same that exists with TechSupport at any computer joint. There's a 16 hour training course and they walk out with a 3 ring binder. The peope who wrote the binder had a mindset that is convinced their hourly paid workers can't understand the intracacies of making an A or B decision so these 3 ring binders are set up like:

1. Ask Customer what phone he has.

2. If he says Palm go to step 27

27. If he ays he wants data, go to step 38

38. Tell him he needs a PDA plan.

The reason they do this is 3 fold:

1. If customer goes for it, they make more money
    2. They don't believe the CSR is capable of interpreting the customers answer and advising him whether he needs a or b.
    3. They want their CSR's off the phone after 2.5 minutes and they don't want them wasting time explaining the difference when 98% of the buying public ain't gonna know what the hell VPN is anyway.

I am always amazed at the buying public's affinity for online shopping and branded stores. (keep in mind tha the folks at newegg and I are on a first name basis and UPS stops here at elast 3 times a week) Us average Joes / Josephines don't have access to all the intracacies of the plans and policies. The on-phone or on-line CSR's know 16 hours worth of stuff more than you do....and all they know is to go from step 27 to 38. The carrier branded stores have self interests at heart and know perhaps slightly more than the others but after 6 months they move on to circuit city or wherever so they can get more play outta their employee discount.

Then we have the brick and mortar all carrier stores:

1. If they don't offer a service above and beyond the on line , telephone and branded stores, they fold.

2. They know the policies of each carrier inside and out.

3. They are owner / operated stores and have more self interest in keeping customers happy.

4. They have access to CSR much higher up on the chain.

5. They will generally undercut any on line price by $50 (in my experience).

6. I have never had one push a 2 year contract in my face.

7. They going to know what works best in the surrounding area cause hey get feedback from all of their customers.

8. They don't care what brand they sell you....same commission either way.

When I got my CNG Treo, the guy told me explained all the options to me....explained all the other carriers pluses and minuses. What he said when I went in is that if I wanted a dataplan, he would set it up under MediaNet since I didn't need VPN...thru it out there w/o me even mentioning it. I opted to just use the phone for a month before adding data so he said three options:

1. Add it it myself via the web site via my features.
    2. Talk to a CSR, tell them I don't need VPN and if they insist just hang up.
    3. call him and he will add it.

I did 2 and the gal who handled my request said that she didn't know if that would work and after putting em on hold said, "I learned something today, you're all set".

If you have a cingular account and are afraid of getting a dumb bunny or cranky franky on the phone, just ad dit yourself via the web site. There's hundreds of CNG users here using the MediaNet plan who have had this confirmed by Cingular reps. If you still are unsure, walk into an all carriers brick and mortar and get it from the horse's mouth. Have him write it on the contract if you want.

Oherwise just go tot he link that's been posted several times and just add it yourself to the account.....many of us have done this too.... did it once after computer booted me out and then called CSR again twice since as computer bumped me up to $24.99 instead of $19.99.....I was always credited the overcharged amounts plus a few bucks for my trouble.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 03/03/2006 at 12:30 PM.
    I tried to change my plan to the 19.99 unlimited on line but that option did not show up
    just the pda 39.99 . So I called and requested the 19.99 and had no trouble the pda plan didn't even come up. Wild! So while I was at it I asked to get unlocked ! She filed a request I'm going to get a call in a few days
    Hey ! What? !! You mean I can't stream radio with this limited unlimited ??#*!!
    Quote Originally Posted by byronchurch
    I tried to change my plan to the 19.99 unlimited on line but that option did not show up just the pda 39.99 . So I called and requested the 19.99 and had no trouble the pda plan didn't even come up. Wild! So while I was at it I asked to get unlocked ! She filed a request I'm going to get a call in a few days
    yes....a lot of things don't show up....mostly the free stuff like caller ID .

But if it doesn't show up on My Features page you can always add it here:

https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Just an FYI... if you are an existing T-Mobile customer, your plans are grandfathered. I have a T-Mobile VPN/TZones data plan, so I can use any pda, laptop, pccard, or WAP Cell phone to access data. The plan is about $22/month, but gives me a ton of flexibility, and it even works with Edge. I think it is reasonable to expect all cell phone carriers to increase their data plans soon as there are some new policies in the works that would force consumers to pay more for internet services when they use large amounts of bandwidth.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    I use my Cingular SIM with multiple GSM phones (e.g if I go hiking in the rain, I switch my Cingular SIM to a cheap old phone which I care less about if it gets dropped or wet). I just call them up on, say, my older Cingular-branded Nokia instead of aTreo 650 when asking about my account. Since the Nokia can't use the PDA plan, they have no reason to switch me.
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    I think it is reasonable to expect all cell phone carriers to increase their data plans soon as there are some new policies in the works that would force consumers to pay more for internet services when they use large amounts of bandwidth.
    I am with you.....I think it should be tiered something like:

1. Internet and SMS Unlimited $20
    2. Add VPN $10
    3. Add tethering $10
    4. Add Streaming TV / radio $15
    5. Add 3G $5
    http://roaminghack.blogspot.com/
    just saw this on dig aaaah justice!
    I just checked my online bill, clicked on My Current Usage->Data Used at this is the following message that was displayed:

U1536: Due to the recent change in your rate plan, we are unable to display usage information until after your next billing cycle begins on 03/16/06.

Seeing that I haven't changed my rate plan, it appears they're changing users automatically.
    Crypto
    m100 -> Tungsten W -> Treo 650 -> Treo 750

"Popeyes is the shizzznit!!!"
    This is like being on the death row!!

I seem to have escaped the debacle today.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptodevice
    I just checked my online bill, clicked on My Current Usage->Data Used at this is the following message that was displayed:

U1536: Due to the recent change in your rate plan, we are unable to display usage information until after your next billing cycle begins on 03/16/06.

Seeing that I haven't changed my rate plan, it appears they're changing users automatically.
    Don't be paranoid, that just means OLAM sucks. Which it does.

About 30% of the time I get on there to check anything it can't pull up data information.
    BTW, I just called Cingular to tell them I was checking OLAM and it showed that error on the Data Usage (the "your rate plan is being changed" from a few messages up) and they said there's an OLAM problem right now for all customers.

So hopefully that's all it is.. If it's not, and people start getting bounced over to the $40 plan without consent, I have one word for you:

RETENSION.

If they argue with you, tell them you need to speak to the retension folks. They are more likely to "work with you".
    Quit being so paranoid. Stop checking Cingular's website every few hours! Don't you know that the majority of these rumors are just that?
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    This is a plausible rumor though.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast