Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    if they take away my Grandfathered Media Works 19.99, I will cancel and pay the ETF and move on to Sprint.
    There will be lots of Ebay'd treo's very quickly if they take away Medianet. I'd most certainly sell mine and get something else. I am NEVER paying more than 20 per month for a dataplan, unless it will do all my homework, take all of my tests, and finish my college credits..
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    I have been fighting with T-Mobile for the last three days about this rate increase.. Any pda/data device is $30 with voice. Err, except for the Crapberry that is $20.. Pretty ****ty, going from $6 for TZones to $30 for Full Internet with HotSpots, with nothing in between..
    Unlocked Treo 650 (Nov 05) BTW: T-Zones sux!
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    I'm supposed to believe there's no collusion when the only two GSM carriers in the US bump up the rates for their data plan one day apart?
    Wo starts these runmors ? Anyone bothering to check web site and see if the plans have actually changed before rehasing this same old stuff. Cingular has NOT changed anything.
    I wonder if they got confused and meant T-Mobile. It certainly looks like T-Mobile increased rates. OR they might have meant Cingular is cracking down on "cheaters". Media Net is still the same price, but you know the Treo isn't supposed to be included. As someone mentioned over on HoFo, just make sure you have a Media Net phone, then switch SIMs. Cingular has told me they really don't care if you switch SIMs among their phones. However, I don't know if they can tell what phone you're using at the time.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I just got my Treo 650, and this is NOT a rumor, just not quite interpreted correctly. The T650 has a "new" data plan exclusively called "PDA Connect," no longer is it part of the media net. See this page on the phone compatibility:

http://www.cingular.com/media/media_phones#Palm

PDA Connect gives you a $9.99 charge for 1MB of data, $19.99 for 5MB data, and unlimited for $40/month. So the plans have definitely changed, I signed up for the 5MB plan (and unchecked "display images in Blazer, big bummer). I occassionally shoot an email every now & then w/ Versamail, but mainly I use Directory Assistant (ALL the time)...so I'm going to have to really watch my limit, 5MB could easily happen in a matter of minutes. Forget downloading applications and attachments in email...

I don't suppose y'all think I have any recourse to get in on y'alls unlimited plan for $20, huh?
    They have had PDA connect for quite some time.

Why don't you use their web site to drop the PDA Connect and enroll in the "MEdia Net Unlimited" for $19.99/mo? The functionality will be the same and it's half the cost for unlimited data.

The rumor was that this MEdia Net Unlimited was going away. But I still see it there on their web site today.
    https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  8. CJD
    I thought the rumor was that Cingular was going to do an "audit" and find those with PDAs and move them to the $40 data plan to w/o telling them?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Wo starts these runmors ? Anyone bothering to check web site and see if the plans have actually changed before rehasing this same old stuff. Cingular has NOT changed anything.

Ok, then my fault. I was just going off what was posted in this thread.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    OR they might have meant Cingular is cracking down on "cheaters". Media Net is still the same price,
    IIRC, Cingular has the most liberal fine print, but it's posted here in the "Fine Print" thread.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=106657

but you know the Treo isn't supposed to be included.
    More rumor and a bit of bad training on Cingular's part. The problem was explained to me by a 2nd level TS peep at Cingular. CSR's are trained to point Treo owners to the PDA plan because they had too manmy problems and service calls from people why were complaing that their e-mail wouldn't work and they were giving the thing back to get a crackberry. So they ask 2nd level TS what to do and tey tell them to tell user to get PDA plan cause they need VPN. No need to lie to CSR's at Coingular, just tell them you have a Treo but don't need VPN so all you need is the MediaNet plan.

Just recently, I called Cingular cause they bumped me up to a $24.99 plan and I asked them to plop it back down to $19.99. I added some SMS messaging to other phones on the family plan and they mistakenly added it to my plan also. So during the conversation I also asked them to unlock the phone. He asked what type of phone I had and I said Treo 650....he then said "Oh you will need a PDA plan for that".....I responded, "No, I don't need VPN so the MediaNet works for me just fine". His response, "OK, you don't need it then"
    Quote Originally Posted by CJD
    I thought the rumor was that Cingular was going to do an "audit" and find those with PDAs and move them to the $40 data plan to w/o telling them?
    Well it's not a rumor, it's policy but you got the wrong carriers. Cingular's policies are the loosest among the major carriers.

"Verizon's agreement notes that it can limit throughput and data transferred or cancel an account without notice whenever they think terms are violated or when a legitimate use affects their network adversely. On discussion forums such as EVDOforums.com, a small number of users have reported being cut off by Verizon Wireless for overusing 3G."

"The closest detail I was able to find described what wasn’t allowed, which wasn’t as restrictive as Verizon or as loose as Cingular. Sprint PCS’s branded Vision plan can’t be used for services, whether “host computer” or “server devices,” can’t replace wireline connections, and can’t drive continuous traffic or ongoing data sessions. Sprint says it can terminate without notice for any violation."

read more in the Fine Print thread referenced in above post.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Ok, then my fault. I was just going off what was posted in this thread.
    Didn't mean you skfny.... but when these threads start I just don't figure why it gets bandied about when the hard data is readily available in a public web site.

Rumor threads are for Treo sightings / announcements and giving Perry gray hair.
    Quote Originally Posted by kilo94
    PDA Connect gives you a $9.99 charge for 1MB of data, $19.99 for 5MB data, and unlimited for $40/month. So the plans have definitely changed, I signed up for the 5MB plan (and unchecked "display images in Blazer, big bummer). I occassionally shoot an email every now & then w/ Versamail, but mainly I use Directory Assistant (ALL the time)...so I'm going to have to really watch my limit, 5MB could easily happen in a matter of minutes. Forget downloading applications and attachments in email...

I don't suppose y'all think I have any recourse to get in on y'alls unlimited plan for $20, huh?

This is NOT a change. This has been the case since day 1 when I picked up the Cingular Treo the day it was released in February.

Alternate A - 650 without VPN = MediaNet = $19.99
    Alternate B - 650 with VPN = PDAConnect = $39.99

These pricing plan has been in effect since the very first day Cingular offered the 650 and these plans remain in effect today . Unless you wanna yank mail of corporate private servers, you don't need VPN. If a CSR says you do, explain that you do NOT need VPN because you do not need to sync with a corporate server and they will give you the MediaNet Unlimited Plan.
    Thanks Jack that really helped!
    The HoFo thread was by Cingular CS employees. So maybe this is something that is coming soon, as it gets rolled out over the next feww weeks.

Always paranoid.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Thanks for setting me straight, guys, I'm calling Cingular now to modify my plan/usage. I'll let you know how it comes out...
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE

Rumor threads are for Treo sightings / announcements and giving Perry gray hair.
    ???

I thought Perry had already gone bald
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovedatreo
    i think we have already had our bouts about the old GSM vs CDMA haven't we. i gotta say if they do this it'll be a good thing for sprint considering they will be the lowest BY FAR. CNG was really the only competitor and with an evdo treo coming and no extra charge for power vision.....i guess we will be seeing a lot more sprint treo users.

EDIT: forgot about T-MO, course they dont officially carry treos, right?
    I have an unlocked Cingular Treo 650 and I got a T-mo service. It works well.

Cingular killed my "media-net $20 per month" data service about 1 year ago. It seems that I use a lot of data and they noticed. Welcome to the party (as he opens the heavy wooden door and steps out of the way for the soon-to-come rush of Shingular subscribers)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghiscott
    I have an unlocked Cingular Treo 650 and I got a T-mo service. It works well.

Cingular killed my "media-net $20 per month" data service about 1 year ago. It seems that I use a lot of data and they noticed. Welcome to the party (as he opens the heavy wooden door and steps out of the way for the soon-to-come rush of Shingular subscribers)
    ATT&Tingular's policy on data usage is actually the "loosest" of the big 3.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=106657

My guess is that carriers use it selectively....in areas where bandwidth is an issue they crack down....in areas where it isn't why bother.
    There must be some secret conference room at the Telecom conventions where the top tier telecom executives gather to discuss policy changes and timing. There is a lot of buzz in the press about tiered DSL now and Quality of Service tiers (QOS) for the content providers (yahoo, myspace and google, for examples).

All the companies seem to kick in pricing changes at nearly the same time. For example verizon lowered their DSL to sub $20 shortly after SBC... er, I meant to write, AT&T dropped their DSL to $15 per month.

The are de-regulated now and their customer service propaganda tells us that we have a choice and that is why they provide excellent service now but just try to get a verizon DSL if you live in an AT&T area! No Way! Is verizon going to dig up the streets in the AT&T regions and bury their own conduits ? No Way!

Their growth activity now is to lobby the government to enact legislation to protect their interests and to make deals with municipalities to gain public right-of-ways to install WIFI hotspots city wide. They will have it covered by either wifi or cellular and leave the wires to rot.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast