Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I know Blazer is ALWAYS slow, but it seems slower than usual lately.

I've been randomly trying the 100k speed test at http://dslreports.com/mspeed and I'm not getting much above 40 kbit/sec, which seems like GPRS speed, not EDGE speed. (I used to get over 100 kbit/sec with this test a few months ago.)

I'm showing full signal, and I'm smack in the middle of downtown Portland, so reception shouldn't be a problem. I use the isp.cingular APN.

Anyone else having slow data? Could there be a problem with my account provisioning out of the blue?
    It's been seeming very slow to me as well in the last few days...
    I've been testing a Cingular 650 in the Denver area. Speed ranges between 20-40 kb/sec. A Verizon 650, w/ same reception (good) gets between 80-120 kb/sec. Is this the norm for Cingular or is there a known problem?
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    Im in the Wash. DC area, I haven't done a test but mine seems much faster than usual.
    68kb/sec in Los Angeles, using Cingular 650.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Perchance are you in one of the areas currently being upgraded to UTMS ?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Perchance are you in one of the areas currently being upgraded to UTMS ?
    probably more like spliting the network in half to transfer to T-mobile. I have also been experiencing problems on T-mo. I get 180K one min, next min I get 14k
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    my Cing 650 has been slow as well. Middle Tennessee
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Are you using WAP@CINGULAR?
    or ISP@CINGULAR?
    Just call me Berd.
    Central Florida, Cingular 650, running at 108 kbits/sec.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Central NC, 84 kb/sec
    Treo 755P
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    Are you using WAP@CINGULAR?
    or ISP@CINGULAR?
    wap... should it be isp?
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileGuy
    wap... should it be isp?
    There has been speculation that if alot of people are surfin that it might cause a slowdown.
    More and More People are getting Internet capable phones,
    And Cingular might be overloading their towers.
    I have no proof.
    WAP is what most use, ISP & ISPDA is available to Pda Connect customers.
    Less people may use ISP.
    Pure Speculation on my part.
    However; you might notice:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...3&postcount=10
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    There has been speculation that if alot of people are surfin that it might cause a slowdown.
    More and More People are getting Internet capable phones,
    And Cingular might be overloading their towers.
    I have no proof.
    WAP is what most use, ISP & ISPDA is available to Pda Connect customers.
    Less people may use ISP.
    Pure Speculation on my part.
    However; you might notice:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...3&postcount=10
    Thanks for the information.

It be interesting if people reported their network preferences (WAP vs ISP) when they reported their data speeds to see if a difference can be obtained. Even more interesting would be if someone (w/ the $40 data plan) could switch back and forth to see if there is a difference between the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileGuy
    Thanks for the information.

It be interesting if people reported their network preferences (WAP vs ISP) when they reported their data speeds to see if a difference can be obtained. Even more interesting would be if someone (w/ the $40 data plan) could switch back and forth to see if there is a difference between the two.
    I am using t-mo, but on Cingulars network here in Nor cal. I get fast speeds on both Wap and internet logins... just depends on what time of day, network saturation, etc. I once got a 180 via the WAP login and after switching to internet... is was too slow to run a bandwidth test.
  16. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    See this post (#1606) on howard forums about someone who switched from media net to the pda plan. He is now getting 231 kbit/sec on the PDA plan (using the new 8125).

So, is the PDA EDGE service that much faster than MediaNet EDGE?

I have read other posts here on treocentral and there seems to be conflicting reports?

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...page=108&pp=15
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Technically, there should be no difference in data throughput whether on MediaNet or PDA package. Access to GPRS or EDGE should be the only limiting factor. I have experienced a data slowdown on the order of what everone else here has seen. Mine SEEMS to have corresponded to my installing the Cingular 1.17 update. Has anyone considered this as a possible culprit? Could Cingular have intentionally hamstrung our devices to limit surfing? As dubious and unfair as this may sound, lots of people surfing uses TONS of their available bandwidth, so from a business standpoint it would make sense - I just hope that's not the case. Anyone?
    I am having problems connecting to Cingular GPRS today in the bay area. Is there some sort of outage.

I just upgraded to 1.71 and hope it didn't screw my GPRS up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    I am having problems connecting to Cingular GPRS today in the bay area. Is there some sort of outage.

I just upgraded to 1.71 and hope it didn't screw my GPRS up.

Not a problem for me all day...
    Back to normal. That is a relief.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast