1.    #1  
    Hi there!
    Just bought a refurbished Treo650 from Cingular's web site.
    I signed up for the 1500 minutes anytime plan (in the US for $50/month).
    Cingular has messed up my order several times (long story)

Anyway, I am considering unlocking my phone (through unlockcellular.com and switching to Tmobile.
    I asked a person at a generic wireless store and they told me that if I do this, I would not be able to use the data plan on Tmobile.

1) Is this true?
    2) Can someone please enlighten me on the differences between Cingular's $40/month unlimited data plan vs Cingular's $20/month media net plan vs Tmobile's $20/month unlimited data plan.

Thank you for your help (I tried doing a search but couldnt get my questions answered)
    If you unlock it yes you can use T-mobiles unlimited data plan. That is what I am using to post this.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

3.    #3  
    Thanks for your reply!
    What about the difference between cingular's media net for $20 vs unlimited data plan for $40
    Thanks!

Regards,
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnyd
    Thanks for your reply!
    What about the difference between cingular's media net for $20 vs unlimited data plan for $40
    Thanks!

Regards,

There is a thread on this but to summarize, the only difference performance-wise is the $40 unlimited plan supports VPN. Speed should be the same on both. The reason they have both is the $20 one is for phones and the $40 is for PDAs because naturally the PDAs will use more data. Also, you're not "allowed" to tether (use your GPRS/EDGE to have your laptop connect to internet) with the $20 plan. It still lets you do it, you're just not supposed to do it.

If you don't need the VPN capability and want to take your chances with the $20 unlimited, go with that. You won't notice a speed difference. The only hitch is the possibility of getting caught - which is probably unlikely unless you use tons of data. You have to add the $20 unlimited plan using your online account management. The Cingular reps won't allow you to add it through them.
    Coverage is king. Make sure you have TMO coverage for where you want to use the phone.

I think TMO has significantly better service (less drop calls). If you are in a TMO area, you should be pleased.

My personal experience: I found Cingular (in NJ) better near major highways - still plenty of drop calls, but with signal. I found TMO have better with in-town coverage (for towns I visited anyhow).

My car floor is full of verbs, nouns, adjectives, so on. All from the calls being drop by Cingular and I keep talking. The words has no where to go and just pilled up on my car floor. Now I use mostly TMO. While coverage is less, but where it has coverage, it is more reliable.