1.    #1  
    Had it with Sprint Customer Service but love my 650. Thinking about trying Tmobile and switching to a GSM 650. Will this work on the Tmobile network? If so what is the process to get this configuration to work? Also will be doing some international traveling and so the GSM 650 seems like a better option.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Wow, are you seriously asking this question? Ever tried reading a little or trying a search?
    Unlocked Treo 650 (Nov 05) BTW: T-Zones sux!
    What you need is the unlocked GSM 650 from Palm, to use on T-Mobile. The phone should work just by putting in the SIM. I'm not sure of the configurations to get email and web from T-Mobile. They're probably somewhere in this subforum.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Just put in the SIM and phone & web(as long as you get the right plan) will work with no config. Email you will need to config based on you mail server.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I have 650 running on T-Mo and there is no config necessary. I have the unlimited T-mobile vpn for internet/data. All you have to is literally put the sim card in and turn on the phone...it will do a network search and load up 3 settings for the data network: t-mo vpn, t-mo internet, and t-zones. You should go to preferences -> network -> and then from the dropdown list pick the plan you have vpn, t-zones, etc. Whichever one you pick be the default one that gets tried whenever you create a connection. It should take about 3-minutes and you're up.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Sprint uses the "CDMA" protocol where as TMobile/Cingular use GMS protocol. Like FM or AM radio, you can't switch between the two without ripping the radio out and put in another one.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLaw
    ...clip... you can't switch between the two without ripping the radio out and put in another one.
    And what would be wrong w/ that?
    Could you Post a Step-by-Step Guide?
    Just call me Berd.
    Actually, it should be less complex but it is not. AM and FM use different frequency and different encoding. CDMA/GSM use the same frequency. Encoding is entirely different but frequency is the same. So in theory, it should be possible to switch GSM/CDMA by software change with the ASIC or some kind of programmable controller change.

That could get complex. Here's the simplified instruction:
    1. Go to bank
    2. Get $600
    3. Go to hardware store, get hammer $10
    4. Slam hammer on CDMA treo
    5. Now go to store with $590
    6. Get new GSM Treo
    7. Go get some ice cream with whatever $ left over
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Ok, here's my changes:

1. Go to bank
    2. Get $600
    3. Goto Newegg and buy new OEM Treo 650 for $600 w/ three year warranty.
    4. Post CDMA Treo to eBay for $150 +s/h.
    5. Upgrade Treo 650 to Fat32.
    6. Goto NewEgg and buy 2GB SD Card for $100.
    7. Go out for dinner and a movie with whatever $ left over.

Quote Originally Posted by RickLaw
    That could get complex. Here's the simplified instruction:
    1. Go to bank
    2. Get $600
    3. Go to hardware store, get hammer $10
    4. Slam hammer on CDMA treo
    5. Now go to store with $590
    6. Get new GSM Treo
    7. Go get some ice cream with whatever $ left over
    Unlocked Treo 650 (Nov 05) BTW: T-Zones sux!
    Quote Originally Posted by temna
    Ok, here's my changes:

1. Go to bank
    2. Get $600
    3. Goto Newegg and buy new OEM Treo 650 for $600 w/ three year warranty.
    4. Post CDMA Treo to eBay for $150 +s/h.
    5. Upgrade Treo 650 to Fat32.
    6. Goto NewEgg and buy 2GB SD Card for $100.
    7. Go out for dinner and a movie with whatever $ left over.
    go to bank
    get $600
    send to me
    shout out the window when you need to speak to someone.
    892 Posts
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bling300c
    go to bank
    get $600
    send to me
    shout out the window when you need to speak to someone.
    let me save you some time and gas...
    paypal me the $600

see, nice and easy. quick too
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    You have several choices:

1. Sell your Sprint Model and

2. Buy an unlocked Treo 650 used or new.

3. Buy a Cingular 650 from someone who has had it more than 3 months and had it unlocked.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I am thinking about getting a 650 with Tmobile... But I do not want Cingular software, how can I get unbranded software on there???
    1. Buy an unlocked version.

2. Wih a Cingulat purchased model, load the ROM for the Unlocked version.....of course you will have to get the Cingular one unlocked first.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Oh my god!!!! these people want a treo and don't know anything about it.
    How about doing some HOMEWORK...
    C'mon folks...let's not scare aware the newbies! Afterall, we were all noobs once right?

I would personally recommend trying to get a unlocked Cingular branded treo if you can, otherwise you only other option is to directly get an unbranded unlocked GSM version which is costlier...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by json
    Oh my god!!!! these people want a treo and don't know anything about it.
    How about doing some HOMEWORK...
    Who are you talk to???

Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    1. Buy an unlocked version.

2. Wih a Cingulat purchased model, load the ROM for the Unlocked version.....of course you will have to get the Cingular one unlocked first.
    Where would I find the file and maybe a tutorial to do this... I found the updater on the Palm websiteTreo 650 Updater 1.20, is this what I need after my Treo is unlocked? Also, I a pretty familiar with flashing/modding/unlocking phones because I do this with Motorolas... Thank you for your help...
    Last edited by VBP2004EP3; 02/27/2006 at 08:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    I'm the guy who did 2 month's of research before my cingular contract was up and switched to a t-mo plan for my 650 to

1. save money
    2. stay with a hot *** phone.
    3. save money
    4. did i mention to save money