1.    #1  
    Back when Palm was dragging their feet about getting us an Update,
    I lacked patience and went ahead and did what a lot of others were doing.
    I flashed back to the Unbranded 1.23 so I could apply the Updated Row fw/sw.
    Never regretted it. From the Posts over at: http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...6&page=1&pp=20
    I see many Cings thinking about making the switch to the New fw1.71 / sw1.20.
    Some have.

So Now, letís talk about the advantages/disadvantages of making the switch.
    And if you made the switch what has been your experience?

And is using cingular firmware on cingular service better?

I stole the following (may not apply) from here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=cingular+row

I would probably use the one from Palm for unlocked phones but one from any GSM carrier should work the same for most purposes.

Keep in mind that GSM is an interoperability standard. No customization should interfere with the ability of a Treo to roam from network to network.

There are several kinds of customization. One is to simplify setup and support on the selling carrier. A second is to support contractual provisions (e.g., locking). A third is to support services that are unique to that carrier, including urls (e.g., Blazer home page), for the carrier's servers. None of this should interfere with with interoperability across carriers, SIMs (except as provided by your contract), or most internet functions.

Oops. Forgot one. There may be some roaming network preferences built in. GSM phones ought to interoperate on any carrier under the standard GSM agreement. However, carriers often have preferential agreements with other carriers. These show up to you as lower rates (and to them as lower costs). Keep in mind that some countries may have six or more GSM carriers. While your phone will work on any of them, you would like for it to default to any one with favorable terms.

I advise you to do a little research on local carriers when visiting a foreign country for more than a day or two. I recall a trip to Singapore where the default carrier did not support GPSR. Connecting to mail and Internet over a dial, rather than GPSR, was more expensive.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 01/20/2006 at 02:04 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
    Since I have the November 1.17 update, which has a lot of fixes (like better NVFS handling), I'll stay put until Cingular releases their official update.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Since I have the November 1.17 update, which has a lot of fixes (like better NVFS handling), I'll stay put until Cingular releases their official update.
    Do you know if one would have better reception, connections for cing?
    or should it make any dif?
    Just call me Berd.
    On the Treo 600 I used both Cingular and ROW versions of software for periods of time. I saw absolutely no difference in reception and carrier performance. Now I know this wasn't on the Treo 650 so something could have changed between the 600 and 650. But I really doubt it. Also I've not ever heard of anything working on the Cingular version that didn't on the generic version.

The main differences are going to be the XPress Mail stubs and a few settings such as home page being pre-installed and pre-configured differently as you said. On Cingular they've also disabled a frew minor things such as call duration in the call log. What an odd feature to disable. At least the added dialup networking back to the Cingular model from the origional release.

I've considered which would be better, Cingular OR generic and I've decided generic is probabally the better way to go. You shouldn't see any worse performance on generic since it should include any carrier specific things that went in to the Cingular version (again not including minor configuration differences) such as ENS for example which I know the generic supports.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G