Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. jg70124's Avatar
    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
       #1  
    Sorry for the double-post (also posted in GSM-US forum), but I thought this might be of general interest.

    Two different Cingular reps told me today that Cingular no longer offers the equipment protection plan for Treos. One told me I could pay the $6/month, but any claims would not be satisfied with a Treo - instead, I would get a BB or some other "regular phone".

    The Cingular web site confirms that this is so:
    http://www.cingular.com/customer_ser...ction#eligible

    I've had Treos for 4 years, with 2 warrantee replacements and 2 insurance replacements. For me, it's absolutely essential. And since I'm now being forced to switch from Sprint to a GSM carrier, I will not be able to get a new Treo unless I can find insurance for it.

    So - does any one know of third party insurance providers?

    [Edit] BTW, my homeowners won't help, as I have a $500 deductible on electronics and personal items.
  2. #2  
    Did they ever cover it?
  3. #3  
    Cingular customers (and anybody who wants insurance, I suppose) might want to check out this thread. Apparently, a couple of posters have had their Treos insured through State Farm for a lot less than what the carriers charge ($35-40-ish/yr).

    I'm not sure if you need to be a current customer of theirs to take advantage. I've been meaning to call since I'm a State Farm customer myself but haven't gotten around to it yet.
  4. lindros2's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124
    I've had Treos for 4 years, with 2 warrantee replacements and 2 insurance replacements.
    Um, could THIS be the reason why Cingular doesn't offer insurance any more....?
  5. jg70124's Avatar
    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by lindros2
    Um, could THIS be the reason why Cingular doesn't offer insurance any more....?
    Actually, there are about 50 phones on the "ineligible" list, including Treos, IPAQs, blackberries, MOTO RAZRs and a bunch of older stuff.

    So perhaps Cingular is getting out of the Equipment Protection business all together.
  6. #6  
    Actually, they are insuring Razr phones. But you have to get the insurance+ext. warranty for the monthly price of $4.99 as opposed to the $3.99 a month. But as a rule Cingular will not insure a phone over $300 price tag.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124
    Two different Cingular reps told me today that Cingular no longer offers the equipment protection plan for Treos.
    Old news. Cingular has never offered insurance for the Treo.

    Dunc
  8. jg70124's Avatar
    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc
    Old news. Cingular has never offered insurance for the Treo.

    Dunc
    Oh. They told me it was new.

    So what do Cingular subscribers do if they drop/break their Treos?
  9. #9  

    Cry.

    Best to spend the $30 on a bulky aluminum/magnesium case.
  10. #10  
    Folks,

    I am on Cingular with a 650 and just have to say that Cingular sucks. They don't insure them (while Sprint and Verizon in the past always replaced Treo phones that stoped working for me even without insurance).

    Their network is terrible in Boston. And Edge data has never come close to what I had with 1XRTT on Sprint or Verizon (going back for 3 years).

    Every time I see an ad for "More Bars in More Places" while I am dropping calls for no reason, I want to scream. Maybe it is just me, but I drop more calls than I did with cellular service 15 years ago.

    My advice: JUST AVOID CINGULAR.

    And that $39.95 charge for data that allows VPN access is higher priced than Sprint ($10) or Verizon (about $15 after data discounts with a PDA plan). They think they are the leading provider, yet they are rated last in most markets for call quality and service according to Consumer Reports and JD Powers.

    Glenn
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    Folks,

    I am on Cingular with a 650 and just have to say that Cingular sucks. They don't insure them (while Sprint and Verizon in the past always replaced Treo phones that stoped working for me even without insurance).
    If your Cingular Treo is defective, insurance or not, THEY WILL REPLACE IT. Don't troll.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    My advice: JUST AVOID CINGULAR.
    My advice? Stop trolling.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    And that $39.95 charge for data that allows VPN access is higher priced than Sprint ($10) or Verizon (about $15 after data discounts with a PDA plan). They think they are the leading provider, yet they are rated last in most markets for call quality and service according to Consumer Reports and JD Powers.

    Glenn
    Gee.. Nice spin. Try reality. Sprint's plans are $40 to $80 as well for PDA data connection. $10 is a grandfathered plan that nobody new can get. In fact here's Sprint's data page.

    http://tinyurl.com/8pu93

    And Verizon? Gee, same story. $50 for unlimited data.

    http://tinyurl.com/yr4xp

    Just like you can get unlimited data on Cingular for $20 by 'pretending' you don't have a PDA phone, I'm sure there are similar tricks on Verizon and Sprint. But don't compare their 'tricks' to Cingular's PDA price. Trolling, pure and simple.
  12. jg70124's Avatar
    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Sprint's plans are $40 to $80 as well for PDA data connection. $10 is a grandfathered plan that nobody new can get. In fact here's Sprint's data page.

    http://tinyurl.com/8pu93
    Actually, the Sprint plans you point to are for wireless modem cards for Laptops and PDAs.

    For the Treo, all you need (and all Sprint will sell you) is the Enhanced Vision plan for $15/month, which includes unlimted texting, email, and data transfer.

    http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popu...isionPlus.html
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ColKurtz
    Cingular customers (and anybody who wants insurance, I suppose) might want to check out this thread. Apparently, a couple of posters have had their Treos insured through State Farm for a lot less than what the carriers charge ($35-40-ish/yr).
    Not just a treo, but a ton of stuff. I have my ipod, treo, digi camera, digi vid camera, my wifes razr, etc. on there. Its called a Personal Articles policy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc
    Old news. Cingular has never offered insurance for the Treo.

    Dunc
    Thats what I thought.

    And khaytsus summarized the rest of my thoughts.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124
    Actually, the Sprint plans you point to are for wireless modem cards for Laptops and PDAs.

    For the Treo, all you need (and all Sprint will sell you) is the Enhanced Vision plan for $15/month, which includes unlimted texting, email, and data transfer.

    http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popu...isionPlus.html
    I guess Sprint's plans aren't too clear then, because the Treo is a PDA.
  15. #15  
    I have a Sprint plan that's $30.00 a month and includes:

    500 anytime minutes
    free, unlimited nights and weekends
    free, unlimited text messaging
    free, unlimited Vision service ---> this is their data sevice for PDA's

    free roaming
    free mobile to mobile


    sprint.com/sero


    They have since changed it in that it no longer includes free, unlimited text messaging.
  16. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #16  
    I have cingular, and while I think the different plans are a scam I am very happy with coverage. I tried Sprint, Verizon and Nextel when I purchased previous phones and in my area cingular had the best coverage. Different carriers have better coverage in different areas, that is a known fact. The carriers have a trial period, use it and then determine which service to go with. I use the unlimited data plan with cingular (39.99) and really do not mind paying the extra 15 a month knowing I am not going to get a huge bill once cingular realizes you are using a PDA on the medianet plan.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    I guess Sprint's plans aren't too clear then, because the Treo is a PDA.
    Nah, the Treo is a smartphone. A PDA would be something like a Tungsten with a card that allows access to Sprint's data network.
  18. #18  
    Though this is off topic, kinda...

    Sprint's phone data plans are $10 for basic Vision (unlimited internet). It's $15 for PowerVision (unlimited ev-do). I own both the 650 and 6700 with both plans.

    Text messages are now extra: $5 for 100, $8 for 500, $10 for unlimited.

    No grandfathering involved, anyone can sign up, anytime.

    The plans cited earlier are for laptop data cards.

    Unless your reason for Cingular is coverage (which is a very good reason) I can't see why anyone would pay their "data" fees. But to each is own!
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta
    The plans cited earlier are for laptop data cards.
    The plan I have from sprint.com/sero is not for laptop data cards. It includes free, unlimited vision.
  20. #20  
    I was actually refering to the plans cited by khaytsus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions