1.    #1  
    Hello all,

I have a few questions...
    first- I am going to purchase a treo650 soon, probably off of craigslist (SF area), and I would like to be able to keep my current at&t wireless plan. When I called cingular about buying a refurb unit, they said I'd have to switch to a cingular wireless plan, and have to get the data plan as well. They don't have anything near the same plan available as I have now, and since my wife and I share minutes, they said she would have to get a new phone as well.
    Ideally, I would have all of the bells and whistles (email, browsing,etc.), but this is a phone first and foremost, for me. It would be a palm pilot second, and MAYBE i'd check email and such. I'm not in the corporate/tech world, so it's not like my paycheck is dependent on me getting emails,etc.

Basically, what I'd like to find out is if I buy an unlocked treo, and just put my current sim card in it, will at&t/cingular know? Can I add the data plan later, or does the treo 'need' it to operate?

I HATE my current phone (motorola v600), and would like to have an all in one device, but I just can't spend $100+ per month just so I can google something if I want to. I mean, it would be nice, but ...

thanks in advance!
    If you but an unlocked GSM phone, an AT&T card should work in it fine. Although eventually you will have to become a Cinular customer, likely when your AT&T contract expires. Remember, most retailers will allow you to return the phone within a certain time. If you know someone with an unlocked phone try the sim there.
  3.    #3  
    good advice. I'll give it a shot.