1.    #1  
    gone
    Last edited by codywalker; 01/07/2006 at 08:45 AM.
    Media net unlimited is for the internet, not for downloading ringtones. Cingular does not like selling Media net for Treo though, but will, but not in the stores usually.
    Don't forget that you get NO SMS or MMS with just the Unlimited plan, so if you want those you do have to buy them separately.

I use 3-4M of traffic a month (if that), so I have the 10M plan (in case I use more) for $15, plus $3 for 20 MMS and $4 for 200 SMS. $5 more I could get unlimited data, but like I said I just don't use it that much. At work I have internet, at home I have bluetooth (and internet).
    Stole this from: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ighlight=ispda

"You should currently be using the "Cingular GPRS" or if you've allowed palm desktop to download new network settings when you installed it, it may now be titled "Media Net" which is the default.

That settings for ("Cingular GPRS" of "Media Net" profile) are:
    Connection: GPRS
    User Name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1 (it'll say 'assigned')
    APN: wap.cingular
    Under Details: Fallback=NONE

You should create a new network profile with these settings:
    Connection: GPRS
    User Name: ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM -or- ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1
    APN: isp.cingular
    (ISPDA user name gives you enhanced data compression, ISP gives you just normal)

Call the new network profile something like "Cingular Data Connect" and I'd set the (Under Details) 'Fallback=Cingular GPRS' so it at least falls back to the WAP network profile if needed.

So there's nothing wrong with keeping the PDA connect plan, especially if you use a LOT of data and especially if you use your Treo as a laptop modem. If you do so, use the ISP gateway. And if you are a PPTP VPN user you have to stay on this plan and use ISP. You're paying more because the Treo is a device that can and does use more data than a phone.
    But if you're a light user and don't need or use the ISP gateway, then you're really just wasting money and I'd switch to the MediaNet $20 plan if you can. The WAP gateway will still support IPSec VPN (Eg Cisco or any IPSec VPN from a laptop through the Treo as a modem) including using Movian VPN. Just not Mergic VPN or the Windows PPTP VPN method."
    Just call me Berd.
    Yeah - I did this. I had media-net. It was offered for a short time with the Treo at the very beginning of 650 availability. 6 months later it suddenly stopped working. I was in a serious bind. I needed to get some work done and my wireless internet connection was down. I called in to cingular and after about 1 hour on the line I was told that I could not have media-net on my treo. They forced me to upgrade my plan to pda-connect for 50% more per month. They look at your usage and if the usage is too high they force you to change. It is in the contract you all accepted upon signing up with Cingular. The contract says they can change any terms with no notice.

Sure - if all you do is read a horoscope and download the lotto numbers, no problem. If you expect to be downloading a lot of stuff and uploading and being connected for hours at a time, then you had better beware.
    Another thread on this? How about at least posting it in the Cingular forum?
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    <moved>
    Quote Originally Posted by codywalker
    gone
    Praytell why?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghiscott
    Yeah - I did this. I had media-net. It was offered for a short time with the Treo at the very beginning of 650 availability. 6 months later it suddenly stopped working. I was in a serious bind. I needed to get some work done and my wireless internet connection was down. I called in to cingular and after about 1 hour on the line I was told that I could not have media-net on my treo. They forced me to upgrade my plan to pda-connect for 50% more per month. They look at your usage and if the usage is too high they force you to change. It is in the contract you all accepted upon signing up with Cingular. The contract says they can change any terms with no notice.

Sure - if all you do is read a horoscope and download the lotto numbers, no problem. If you expect to be downloading a lot of stuff and uploading and being connected for hours at a time, then you had better beware.
    I am about to do exactly this... how much Data did you transfer before they shut you down? were you an internet junkie?
    I don't get all this talk about no Medianet. I've had the $19.99 unlimited data, and SMS/MMS, Medianet plan since Cingular introduced the 650. So has my officemate, for that matter. On an average month we each use about 50 Mb of data, my high water mark came last month when I used 88 Mb! I'm sure Cingular would give everyone unlimited Medianet if they could just summarize their bills... I get about 25 pages of data usage with my bill each month. Of course, the 2kb used on 1/15 at 9:00 pm, listed on the bill is useless information to me - just give me the total usage, save a dozen trees, and pass the savings on to those who (for whatever reason) can't get Medianet.

Dunc
    No reason to have any trouble with this unless perhaps you are in a Cingular store. I didn't have any issues at an "all brands / all carriers" store but elected to take wait and see approach after signing up for "penny a kb" plan. Just do this:

1. Buy your phone w/ voice plan

2. Go home and look at this page

https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase

"Learn more about our MEdia Net options below. Existing subscribers can use the form to add a package to their account, or log in to "My Account"

3. Once your account us accessible on line just add MediaNet Unlimited to it yourself via the My Features tab.