1.    #1  
    I'm swicthing to Cingular. How is Cingular outsidæ USA? And how is thæ data spææ? (Sorry, my no. onæ button is brokæn)
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Cingular is okay. They seem to have Edge working in most cities, their data plans are a bit high. And Cingular is GSM! are you buying a new phone??? I have never tried Cingular outside of the USA. I have unlocked T650 onT-MO and the data plan is cheaper and I have used it outside of the USA without any problems, I just buy a cheap sim card and put it in and I am up and running.
    I've used my Cingular phone in "international roaming" mode while in Europe (pricey, usually Skype when travelling outside of Europe when I can). The roaming seemed seamless, connections were strong as they should be since Europe is GSM heavy. Voicemail worked fine. I didn't dare use data since international roaming use of data is very expensive. SMS works fine even again, it costs more. Cheaper alternative is to purchase a local SIM, but I need to be available on my US number at all times.
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    1. Cingular is crap. Garbage. Sh-t.
    2. Verizon service is not even close to comparable. Let's put it this way - OnStar uses the Verizon network.
    3. Cingular (orange SIM card "64KB") is LOCKED to the network that they choose. So essentially you lose one great thing about GSM (network select) if you have the orange card. My company still has a Cingular "blue" account (former AT&T Wireless) and I can choose networks world-wide (but am locked to Cingular in the USA of course).

My recommendation:

1. If you only use international roaming a little, get a second GSM phone and purchase pay-as-you-go SIM cards around the world.
    2. If you use it more than a little, then investigate the dual CDMA/GSM phones (Samsung has two - the new one is nearly a full PDA; the older one is just a large flip-phone).
    3. If you use it a LOT, then go with T-Mobile. This would require you to purchase an unlocked Treo 650...
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the advice; I am testing out the treo650 on the cingular network. It seems to work fine so far.
    I hate Cingular. Their customer service sucks. I have been a Cingular Blue customer forever. I'm planning on switching to T-mobile/Verizon soon.
  7.    #7  
    Hi Everyone:

I have just returned from a two week trip to India and passing through the Nederlands on the way back to the US. The Treo that i have from Cingular worked very well. I could get email in most parts that I travelled to. I travelled to some very remote parts and had service most of the time. I could even choose what network i used. I haven't gotten the bill yet, but i am pleased that the phone worked very well.

I was well worth the move from Verizon to Cingular just for the international travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by AddictedToTech
    Cheaper alternative is to purchase a local SIM, but I need to be available on my US number at all times.
    If I purchase a local SIM for my unlocked Cingular phone will I travel internationally, can I access data services using that local SIM?

Thanks!
    Scott
    *bump*
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty321
    If I purchase a local SIM for my unlocked Cingular phone will I travel internationally, can I access data services using that local SIM?

Thanks!
    Scott
    It depends on the SIM and the service. My experience in Ireland 2 years ago was that I couldn't (Vodphone). Other providers allowed it and I'm not sure what the situation is now, but I think you can 'usually' get data services - for a price.
    I have both Cingular and Verizon phones. Despite the boost I get from the "installed in vehicle" phone, the Treo w/ Cingular gets better coverage / reception in my area.

A study quoted in Sunday's local paper said no one has less dropped calls than Cingular in NY Metro area....my guess is that at least one other carrier is only a hair behind or the marketing boys would have worded it much differently.

When I signe dup, Cingular's data plan was $5 more than Sprint's, however Sprint's Voice plans were more than Cingular's....net result for me was Cingular is cheaper.

Sprint is rolling out EVDO, Cingular is rolling out HDSPA3.6 but neither is yet available in my area (eastern Long Island) and neither works on the 650. One advantage for Verizon is if you have an OnStar phone also, you can get it on one bill.

Outside the USA you probaly want to forget about Cingular and pop in a local SIM.

All in all the service in your area has to be the primary consideration. With the price the cutthroat competition for customers and the cut rate pricing rebates, no carrier can afford quality customer servcie. Just "deal with it" wherever you are. I have never had a difficult time with any of the carriers, just I have had to call more than once to get problems solved.

A 650 on Cingular does have the GSM advantage of 50% more battery life and swappable SIM's but again, reception has got to be your primary consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by revhoban
    I'm swicthing to Cingular. How is Cingular outsidæ USA? And how is thæ data spææ? (Sorry, my no. onæ button is brokæn)
    I have never had a problem with Cingular service in the US or internationally. I travel to Europe, Canada, Mexico and Latin America and have never gone into a region where my phone did not work. Internationally roaming can be pricey but since I am traveling on business my company covers this cost. I have never had Verizon so I cannot compare. I had Sprint for many years and my phone was a brick in Latin America.....no coverage at all. ( at least that was how it was a little over a year ago. )
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    I have never had a problem with Cingular service in the US or internationally. I travel to Europe, Canada, Mexico and Latin America and have never gone into a region where my phone did not work. Internationally roaming can be pricey but since I am traveling on business my company covers this cost. I have never had Verizon so I cannot compare. I had Sprint for many years and my phone was a brick in Latin America.....no coverage at all. ( at least that was how it was a little over a year ago. )
    I had Verzion on my Kyocera 7135 (remeber those?) and it was basically unusable in Cozumel, Mexico. I have a Cingular Treo 650 now, I spend about $20 less per month, and now I have the ability to access the internet on my hand held, unlimited data, and have added one more phone to my family plan. The reception seems to be comparable in the Chicago area when I am on the road, in the car. Cingular seems better when I am in downtown Chicago, particularly in office buildings. With Verizon, my phone was basically down when I walked into one of the buildings in "The Loop" as we call the downtown area. My conclusion is that I get more bang for the buck with Cingular.