1.    #1  
    Two questions:
    [Cingular locked/branded Treo 650, Firm 1.31 and Soft 1.15-CNG]

1. I took my 32k SIM card from my previous GAIT phone and have been using that in my Treo. Is there any advantage to going to a 64k SIM card?

2. I think I've noticed a significant signal decrease moving from this GAIT phone (TDMA and GSM) over to GSM only Treo, even though Cingular says that this shouldn't be the case. Anyone else experienced this?

(Need to decide if I can keep my Treo in the next 10 days, love the devide, fighting with the service)
    I believe you will lose reception more going from GAIT to stictly GSM. You're losing the TDMA towers. I guess it depends where you travel, but I used to have the old Cingular TDMA network with a Nokia phone and it got much better reception in rural areas. Going from the 32k to 64k card on my Treo did make a large difference because it handled the ATT towers better than my old 32k card. I happen to live in an area with a better ATT signal than Cingular and the old 32k card was always picking up the Cingular tower. Now with the 64k chip it is picking up the strongest signal. Definitely improvement. Hopefully this helps.
    "...Going from the 32k to 64k card on my Treo did make a large difference because it handled the ATT towers better than my old 32k card..."

I wonder why the size of sim makes any difference. I don't think the card plays any role in single management other then access authorization.
  4. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Mer, definitely go get the SIM upgraded. The 64k SIMs contain updated tower info.

I know that before the merger on the AT&T side, all the TDMA towers were upgraded to do both TDMA and GSM. Cingular (pre-merger) may or may not have done this too.

With UMTS now in 16-18 cities in the US, it may be that TDMA tower antennas are being removed so that both GSM and UMTS are supported (instead of GSM and TDMA). Many towers have antennas for multiple carriers, so physical space can be limited. While I haven't heard for sure, that may well be the issue. I'd also have to doublecheck all of the cities currently with UMTS, since I don't remember whether Boston is one of them.

And phattysalz, there's also the question of analog. While not all of the GAIT phones supported analog roaming, many TDMA phones did. Other than GAIT/multi-band phones, GSM phones definitely don't support either TDMA or analog. On the other hand, TDMA and analog phones didn't support data like GSM and UMTS phones do.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    sim size plays a difference because it can hold more info on more towers.
    Sprint 700p
    "...sim size plays a difference because it can hold more info on more towers..."

Thanks, that make sense. But that being the case, I consider it poor design of GSM that the SIM needs to store info about a tower.

Tower come and go. It should be part of the "request to connect" protocol that the tower "reply" to the requestor about who/what it is. The SIM can optionally cache those info for quicker access next time.
    I have tried my Treo with both a 64k and 32k and I prefer the 32k. The 64k has caused problems for some of my customers so from this experience, I have decided to keep my old sim. Plus I have manual network selection so I can choose if I want to be on the Cingular network or the old AT&T network.
    i noticed NO difference when i moved up to the 64. not here in TN and not in Eastern PA
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    I have the old 32 SIM and have no issues.
    I hear that the 650 actually works better when using the 32K SIMs
    I would say the same
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    how do you tell which one you have?
    it says right on the sim
    Switching to the 64K sim in Los Angeles has had a HUGE improvement. I no longer lose data connection and I get better cell service throughout the County including areas where I used to suffer dropped calls.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    That is probably due to better fit......slimmer 32k SIM would lose contact. Fix was either:

Put in thicker 64k SIM

or replace SIM tray with the "fixed" one which Palm gave away.
    I've also heard rumors that if you have a SIM card from before the Cingular/ATT merger that you aren't getting access to all the towers, and that simply getting a newer SIM card will make a big difference.

Cingular isn't advertising this because they don't want to swap all the cards out.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)