Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Do I have to enter anything special into my phone? Are the Unlimited plans that much faster? I somehow got the VPN plan at $19.99. Just wondering if I switched to MobileWeb if it would slow it down too much. Do I have to to anything to make it go through internet3 (VPN) vs internet2 (reg internet).
    The unlimited internet plan is not slower. Never used VPN. so I cannot help u there.
    Have you done a search yet?
    Ahh, the age old question of packaging services ... no need to enter anything special if your are only availing one of the packages services.

T-MobileWeb is the repackaged or renamed T-Zone services with limited ports. Users has reported success in internet connections but YMMV. I don't believe speed is an issue here either but it is more of port access.

With respect T-Mobile Unlimited Internet and VPN Unlimited Internet, the only difference is that VPN gives you a real IP DHCP address (as pointed out by shneor). Otherwise not much difference in speed or other functionality to connect. VPN is used mostly to give subscribers, clients, and consultants access to corporate resources with security features that can include encryption, authentication, and tunneling.

I converted from T-Mo unlimited to T-Mo VPN Unlimited, the only difference is that it allowed me to use my Treo to connect to my corporate office.

All of these options should be available as pre-set connections on your Treo, these are automatically added when you put in your T-Mo SIM card.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 12/03/2005 at 06:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    I have downgraded to T-MobileWeb.. No difference in speed.. Kmaps causes my Treo to reboot.. FTP will not connect, "no socket".. Guess I have to decide if the extra $14 a month is worth it..
    Last edited by temna; 12/03/2005 at 09:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    T-Zones sucks.. Only email and web.. Anything else causes my Treo to go into convulsions.. *sighs* Maybe it IS worth the extra $14 a month.. Now to convince the wife..
    Quote Originally Posted by temna
    T-Zones sucks.. Only email and web.. Anything else causes my Treo to go into convulsions.. *sighs* Maybe it IS worth the extra $14 a month.. Now to convince the wife..
    I am assuming that all the functions you've tested used to work before you converted to T-Zones?

T-Zones access are port limited other than that I don't know what else are different.

Thanks for posting your findings and experience.
    I am wondering about some of the conventional wisdom expressed here. I have an unlocked Cingular 650 on T-Mobile. When I first moved from a phone with T-Zones (I was paying $4.99/mo) to a Treo 600, I ran into some issues (connecting to websiites and sending Email) that induced me to switch to T-Mobile VPN. On the whole it works fine. On my Treo 600 I was getting 28-32kps (NJ/NYC) and on the Treo 650 I get 68-72kps. Yesterday, I decided to try T-Zones to see how it was doing as I had not been on it in years. Well,....I was quite surprised. First, everything worked, Web, Avantgo, Snappermail and Versamail. Second, it was quite fast.... 115kps! Makes me wonder why I am paying the $19.99...
    You can ditch the $19.99 all you can have internet.

Chances are, some account rep back in T-Mo may not adjust your settings correctly, so you may still have the connections you need ... that is possibly where the disconnect between actual plan versus actual access may be coming from. That is why some users report they still have access. YMMV.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Seems like mail and web work fine.. Nothing else does.. AIM doesn't.. KMaps doesn't.. EzFTP doesn't.. SSH doesn't.. I'm kinda sad that all the cool toys that I downloaded and installed don't work anymore.. Well, atleast I still have Warfare Inc.. Now if I could get past level six without dying..
    Considering that you are saving money $14/mo, you can then afford more games!
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I have tzones and kmaps works, you need to put the tzones proxy in the java connections for kmaps.