1.    #1  
    Are you happy with your voice/data service in the NY Metro area? I'm loooking to move on from Verizon -- they have become far too expensive for me.

I plan on beginning a Cingular trial period but wanted to get some thougths from all of you in advance of that.

Thanks!
    I use my Treo650 almost exclusively in Manhattan area apart from vacations, and I have no issue with the reception or call quality at all. One or twice a month I get issue with call not connecting due to crappy towers but that is far and few between.
    I'm on Long Island and switched in June from Verizon. I've been happy with the service, but the data is not Edge its GPRS for the Treo 650. Definitely slower than EVDO and Edge, but it gets the job done.
    I still wouldn't switch back!

DrB
    AT&T Treo 750 (Unlocked) WM6

DrB
  4.    #4  
    Where in Long Island? My folks live on the north shore (oyster bay area).

Quote Originally Posted by DrBwell
    I'm on Long Island and switched in June from Verizon. I've been happy with the service, but the data is not Edge its GPRS for the Treo 650. Definitely slower than EVDO and Edge, but it gets the job done.
    I still wouldn't switch back!

DrB
    Due south in Nassau county, South Shore
    AT&T Treo 750 (Unlocked) WM6

DrB
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I have Cingular in Manhattan. I'm on the Upper West Side (above 96th) near Riverside Dr. My phone reception is great in my apartment --- if I sit on the left side of my couch. The EDGE speed is also pretty good (>100 kbps). Calls have been dropped right in front of my apartment building. One time I was walking toward Central Park and I looked at my phone and it said "T-Mobile." Call reception and EDGE speeds at work (50th & 7th Ave.) aren't that great. I would judge the overall Cingular service in Manhattan as "pretty good." I've also been with Sprint and Verizon, and I think that their reception is much better, but you're stuck with their phones and can't switch around like GSM.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada
    I have Cingular in Manhattan. I'm on the Upper West Side (above 96th) near Riverside Dr. My phone reception is great in my apartment --- if I sit on the left side of my couch. The EDGE speed is also pretty good (>100 kbps). Calls have been dropped right in front of my apartment building. One time I was walking toward Central Park and I looked at my phone and it said "T-Mobile." Call reception and EDGE speeds at work (50th & 7th Ave.) aren't that great. I would judge the overall Cingular service in Manhattan as "pretty good." I've also been with Sprint and Verizon, and I think that their reception is much better, but you're stuck with their phones and can't switch around like GSM.
    I switched from Nextel to Cingular just recently and I'm happy to say that I can finally use my cellphone again. The reception is great in my area (upper West Side and Riverside). Nextel didn't really give me much options to stay with their network that's why I was determined to stick with Cingular (my mom uses it too and she hasn't had any problems since she got it 2 years ago) and I thought that paying $70/month with Nextel was just a waste. I can't even use my service knowing the fact that I signed up for it because of their "Free Incoming" plan. So far so good with my new network. I hope this stays the way it is cuz I'm tired of switching carriers and getting new phones.
    Sony Clie N610C Sony Clie N710C Sony Clie UX50 Palm Tungsten T|5 Locked Cingular Treo 650 Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
    I live in the glen cove/sea cliff area. I had to leave verizon because of the poor service/reception. Cingular works great in and out of my apartment and I have yet to drop a call. I am using the V3 razr and keeping my vzw treo 650 now for palm/mp3 functions only. I am sure that the treo 650 from cingular will work equally well but I am not 100% because I have not used that phone in this area. Hope this helps