Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    After more than a year of Treo lust, I finally got my Treo. What speeds should I be expecting from T-Mobile's EDGE network? When I ran the Broadband Reports mobile speedtest I got 20kbps. Is that as fast as it gets?
    Last edited by temna; 11/28/2005 at 01:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Wow, T-Mobile support sucks when it comes to the Treo. I call in to the mobile data group and the joker I get is clueless. Considering the Treo 650 was tested with T-Mobile, I would have guessed they had some info for the techs. I call and get an ***** who knows NOTHING about Treos. *grumble* And he had the nerve to call a Blackberry or Sidekick a PDA. Guess you get what you pay for with $20 unlimited internet.
    Yup, some of the newbies in that companies are. They are only trained for what product they currently have on support. Tell them that they do support the Treo 600 and get the expert on line for Treo, not some newbie.

For T-Mo on EDGE, your speedtest should get over 100K at least. See this thread: t-mobile EDGE : who's getting it?

<moved>
    Actually, I'm afraid you got what you paid for with your 650. There was a reason -probably many- that T-M decided to not carry the 650. The main one is that it's very costly for carriers to support problem-prone devices. That's why they dropped the HP 6315 which I had for a while (and bugged them about constantly.) But I've had excellent support from T-Mobile through the use of three devices on my $20 unlimited plan. That's one of the reasons I've stayed with them, now two years out of contract. T-M does win the JD Powers customer service award, among others. BTW, if you wanted speed, you should have picked up a Blackberry. My 7100 Mobile speed test readings are: 1042 kbit/sec, 2.964s latency, and 7,482s d/l time. It's not a fancy device, but it's stable and it's fast! And I just use BB's internet service (BIS), not BES. Good luck and be patient with your new Treo.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    You're kidding me.. If I wanted a Blackberry, I would have bought one. I spent the money on a Treo because I wanted one. I have gotten techs at T-Mobile that know the Treo and how to support it. I just got a newby that doesn't know anything. Care to tell me how EDGE for over 1mbit/sec? I think you are out of your mind. It is not very costly to keep a running database of fixes.

You know what, if you can't add to the conversation, keep your thoughts to yourself.
    Sorry, I overreacted in defence of T-M techs who I always find very helpful. But I was responding to your generalized comments about T-M support and the value of the $20 plan, not to any "newby" reference. That was how I read the conversation, but feel free to ignore my comments.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    My post was not a general attack against the techs.. It is against T-Mobile's training practices. It is also against T-Mobile's lack of comunication between techs. They need a blog type way of communicating between each other to make sure everyone is on the same page. I have called T-Mobile a dozen times about a glitch on the my.t-mobile.com pages that they seem unable/unwilling to fix. If you look under internation roaming on the my t-mobile pages and look under North America, you'll only see Mexico listed. Considering the raw logic of what this tells me, it tells me that there are NO ROAMING charges when calling from Canada. Yet call after call, and they will not fix it.

Just because JD Powers says something doesn't make it true. JD Powers gave HP a "best of" award for their support. Yet you cannot get drivers or anything for a lot of their older machines (HP machines, not Compaqs). Also, when I called in aboutthe rebate for my HP iPaq, it took nine calls for a supervisor to finally understand that there was a problem and to fix it. I never got an apology, just a "call back in two weeks". Ever tried calling HP for service? JD Powers. hmph! Consumer Reports has rated HP's customer support as utter crap, but JD Powers says their great. Whatever! </end rant>

Anyways, every other provider out there has the Treo 650.. Alltel, Centennial, Cingular, Sprint and Verizon.. Just because T-Mobile desides the the the lone loser, doesn't mean they can't have some support information for the device. I have talked to a lot of techs at T-Mobile that know the T650 and how to support them. I was just annoyed by the fact that the bonehead I got this time pulled the "we don't sell the device, we won't support it" line. I still want to know how you got over 1mbit/sec over an EDGE connection. As far as my understanding of EDGE, that is impossible.
    OK, I hear you. We obviously have had different experiences with T-M or we have different expectations for, and judgments of, support people. In any event, </end defence>

I can't explain the speed test results. On a prior thread, someone dismissed the numbers saying that my T-M/BB service went through a proxy server so it really didn't count, or something like that. I actually took a picture of my screen at the time with a then-current TC screen in the background in case someone wanted evidence of my claim. BTW, it is easily faster than Blazer was on my Treo, but it's not as blazing as the speed test numbers suggest. Graphics are rendered pretty quickly (ESPN, e.g.), but a heavily scripted site like a shopping site loads quite slowly.