Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello lady's and gents ..

So i came accross your website and saw alot of questions about treo's and cingular. So i figured i would post.

Name is Mike
    I work for cingular- ANS(Advance Data Support/data support) I'm the Guy you call when u cant connect to the internet or have issues tethering your device to your computer. PC cards-Blackberry's-treo's-reugular phones.. If you cant connect to the internet. I deal with it. I have a Treo 650 and i can build the damn thing with my eyes close. Why am i here? well 1 cause i'm bored and 2 why not.
    Over the phone there is alot that we cannot tell you..cause well they record the calls. So if you have any questions... private msg me on these forums or send a email. But i'll be around to give me 2cents.

I think the biggest question alot of people ask me is
    "can you unlock my treo "

Yes i can... will i? maybe not...lol depends
    Cingular doesnt want u to get a treo for the price of a 2 year contract unlocked..then u cancel the account and go to tmobile.
    everyone in cingular will 90% tell you they cant unlock the device... or give you the... "sure we can do it... but it will take 5days..then they will email you back with the code" *cough* *cough* lol BULL****.

btw Happy Bird day
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    welcome - there's lots of good discussion here and I'm sure you'll be able to shed some light on a bunch of topics.
    Datamaster - glad to see you here and trust you will add value.

1) Pls email me (playcentric@gmail.com) how to unlock my ATT Treo 650 so I can use Taiwan SIM when over there. I've been w ATT/CNG 4 YEARS w great family plan.

2) I wasn't able to WEB 3weeks ago w default Network setting (GPRS w no APN). CNG Support told me the Network were down & to set APN= public. While it works I am not able to mMode page (default Proxy checked or not makes no difference.) Please advise the Network settings.

TIA
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    Does Cingular allow the use of Media Works or Media Net with the Treo 650 (with or without tethering)?

A lot of us use it but is that because Cingular doesn't realise that we are using a "smartphone"?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Does Cingular allow the use of Media Works or Media Net with the Treo 650 (with or without tethering)?

A lot of us use it but is that because Cingular doesn't realise that we are using a "smartphone"?
    You could always do that SIM switcheroo, which seems to work for people around here. I've asked the same question to a Cingular CSR on another unrelated forum, he said he's never tried it and doesn't think it will work. However, I've heard plenty of stories on here and other forums talking about how it works like a charm.

However, I want to know if I buy mediaNET unlimited on cingular's website, will it still work properly. I rather not go to the cingular store today, even though I do have a spare V551 I could use to make it happen. But since my dad pays the bill on it currently, it would mean he has to come with me. The point of this is to make it easy as possible.
  6.    #6  
    Playcentric -

I'm not familar with blue(At&t) settings off the top of my head...but something i can look into and post.

As far as unlocking the treo...can i ? yes...will i? i dunno yet..cause that might get back to me and cost me my job.

-aprasad-

Use of Media net unlimited for $19.99 Vs $39.99 PDA UNLIMITED plan
    ALOT of rumors going around about this....now

Whats cingular tells you.

If you have a PDA device you need the $39.99
    which gives you the setting
    user name - ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    password - CINGULAR1
    APN - isp.cingular
    Now u might hear that it will give you the FULL use of the web browser on your treo. Some tech rep's might go even on to say that it will be faster when u have the PDA plan..

My experience
    I have the treo 650 and have the $19.99 media net unlimited package with settings
    user name - WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    password - CINGULAR1
    APN - wap.cingular

And so far i can do everything on my Browser. I have had no problem getting to internet sites.. checking email...using xpressmail....using versamail... No problems. I have also gone far enough to tether the device via bluetooth. with speeds up to 115kb/s. But i have to tell you that..i could only tether the Treo 650 via bluetooth. It didnt work with CM(connection manager) or creating a DUN(Dial up network) For some reason is only worked bluetooth.

now rumor again has it that using ISP for a PDA is faster then using WAP.
    Well i dont see a difference. But You be the judge of that if you have the treo test it out
    Quote Originally Posted by TORR3NT

Use of Media net unlimited for $19.99 Vs $39.99 PDA UNLIMITED plan
    ALOT of rumors going around about this....now
    We have figured the usability part of it by now. I myself use the $19.99/mo plan without any problems.

But, what will Cingular do if they find out? Do they knowingly allow the use of the WAP plan for the Treo? What's their official policy on this?

Thanks.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM

which gives you the setting
    password - CINGULAR1
    APN - isp.cingular
    Now u might hear that it will give you the FULL use of the web browser on your treo. Some tech rep's might go even on to say that it will be faster when u have the PDA plan..

My experience
    I have the treo 650 and have the $19.99 media net unlimited package with settings
    password - CINGULAR1
    APN - wap.cingular
    This is wierd...
    i took a look at my network settings... i have the unlimited data plan...
    i see they set me up with the wap@cingulargprs.com with the
    wap.cingular apn...
    so i change it to the isp.cingulargprs.com and the apn to isp.cingular...
    did a few speed test and it seems if that its a little slower using
    the settings for isp@cingulargprs ...
    What Is The Best Search To Use For Info On Pdanet, T650, Cingular
    I also have the unlimited plan and was set up with wap. I changed it to isp and have noticed little difference in speed - maybe a touch slower. I'll do some more testing in the morning. I'm wondering if there really is any advantage to the isp settings. Thanks to the Datamaster for this interesting thread.
  11.    #11  
    I'm 100% sure that Cingular knows about the $19.99 plan working as well as the $39.99 plan

BUT

lets say u are using Versamail or Xpressmail or even tethering the device and it doesnt work... we will tell you its cause of the WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM/ $19.99 media net

Cingular says that u must have ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM/$39.99 PDA unlimited plan to have the "FULL" internet on your PDA
    So if you have a WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM / Media net browser and you have trouble getting on the internet or tethering..or getting and sending emails...they will tell you its cause you dont have the ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM / $39.99 plan

99% of all account have a WAP@CINGULARGPRS.com
    even if you dont pay for it..they will add
    Internet Pay Per Use
    on the account which will give you WAP.

-BRUCEDEVAUX-
    "What Is The Best Search To Use For Info On Pdanet, T650, Cingular"

What do you mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by pgenneken
    This is wierd...
    i took a look at my network settings... i have the unlimited data plan...
    i see they set me up with the wap@cingulargprs.com with the
    wap.cingular apn...
    so i change it to the isp.cingulargprs.com and the apn to isp.cingular...
    did a few speed test and it seems if that its a little slower using
    the settings for isp@cingulargprs ...
    What do you mean "unlimited plan"? $19.99 or $39.99 / month?

Both are "unlimited" but use different network setups.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  13.    #13  
    Feature Name(s) Purpose
    APN
    Wireless Internet Express

MEdia Net -$19.99 unlimited

Services provisioned with this APN will receive a dynamic private IP addresses at connection.
    This APN does not allow unsolicited mobile terminated data. Data may only be sent to a device in response to a request from the device.
    It is not possible to tether a laptop or PDA to the web using this APN.
    This APN is provisioned with the Wireless Internet eXpress or MEdia Net features, including the pay-per-use features.
    Use the following username/password combination to access this APN:
    Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1
    wap.cingular

Data Connect - $39.99/PDA PLAN -Unlimited
    Services provisioned with this APN will receive a dynamic public IP addresses at connection.
    This APN is provisioned with the mobile internet service, and is required to allow tethering between a handset and a laptop/PDA.
    This APN does not allow unsolicited mobile terminated data. Data may only be sent to a device in response to a request from the device.
    This APN is automatically provisioned with the Data Connect packages.
    Use the following username/password combination to access this APN:
    Username: ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1
    isp.cingular

APN usernames and passwords are case-sensative.
    Last edited by TORR3NT; 11/26/2005 at 08:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    What do you mean "unlimited plan"? $19.99 or $39.99 / month?

Both are "unlimited" but use different network setups.

i have the $40.00 data unlimited plan...
    but they set me up with wap settings.. not the isp settings
    i thought it had to be..

Quote Originally Posted by BRUCEDEVAUX
    What Is The Best Search To Use For Info On Pdanet, T650, Cingular
    pdanet can be found at www.junefabrics.com/pdanet
    [QUOTE=TORR3NT]which gives you the setting
    password - CINGULAR1
    APN - isp.cingular

password - CINGULAR1
    APN - wap.cingular

DataMaster - I tried both the above settings on my Treo 650 and each time the screen shows "Cancelling" immediately following the "Connecting" message. I am in the Houston suburb area.

1) So ... What's wrong with my Treo 650?

However, if I set APN= public with username an password set to blank then I can connect to Web, but won't be able to access mMode.

2) So ... how many available APNs are there?

CNB users - can you also share your settings?
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
  16.    #16  
    Your on the At&t side
    AT&T doesnt use those settings
    Your on the At&t side
    AT&T doesnt use those settings
    TORR3NT - Many thanks for the quick response. That's what I did for the last 9 months, i.e. no settings in the Network. Until 3 weeks ago not able to Web. CNG support told me it's due to CNG Nationwide Network outage, and told me to set the APN to public. As my previous post says, while able to Web, this setting won't get me to mMode. Is there a different APN that I can try?

TIA
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
  18.    #18  
    APN - proxy

WAP PDP Service
    Used when activating any GSM/GPRS/UMTS handset, PDA or PC Card.
    There is no extra charge for this PDP. It is provisioned by default unless otherwise requested by customer.
    This PDP does not allow unsolicited Mobile Terminated data. Data may only be sent to a device in response to a request from the device. For instance, retrieving mail from a POP server or pulling a web page from a web server.
    This PDP type provides a private, dynamic IP address.

APN - Public
    Public IP PDP Service

There is no longer a monthly service charge for this feature.
    This PDP does not allow unsolicited Mobile Terminated data. Data may only be sent to a device in response to a request from the device. For instance, retrieving mail from a POP server or pulling a web page from a web server.
    This PDP type provides a public, dynamic IP address.
    TORR3NT - I changed to proxy and now I can access mMode. Big thanks to you for resolving my problem that lasted 3 weeks. You've added great value and I hope that you will be on the board often.

Just one more thing - how about unlock my phone so I can use the Taiwan and China SIM when I am traveling there? Or the SIM cards will work w/o unlock?
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    Torr3nt,
    I am experiencing Edge connection problems as well. I do pay the $39.99 and Cingular,in the last hour, had me change to the ISP settings...still no connection and then back the the WAP settings...now I have Edge back again. This still does not explain why I dropped Edge in the first place. As well I am paying the DATA Connect price and using the MediaNet settings.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast