Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    -Playcentric-
    Welcome...and again..lol no i wont unlock phones cause it might cost me my Job

-jleadbeater-
    Thats what u have to decide ....the whole $19.99/unlimited media net(wap@cingulargprs.com) VS $39.99 PDA unlimited data connect (isp@cingulargprs.com)

I have given my 2 cents on it...now make ur own judgement on what should be done
    So what do you use for a phone? Treo I assume??
    So either way it doesnt matter same service... as far as we experience
  4.    #24  
    treo 650
    [QUOTE=TORR3NT]-Playcentric-
    Welcome...and again..lol no i wont unlock phones cause it might cost me my Job

TORR3NT - I understand your position and definitely do not want you to lose your job.

Someone on the Forum stated that I can use the Taiwan SIM w/o having the phone unlocked. Can you confirm this?

TIA
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    Yes thank you TORR3NT for just being here and speaking with us.
    I've been paying for the PDA Connect since I've had the 650. In the last week or so (roughly around the time I upgraded to the 1.17 firmware), I noticed that my Cingular GPRS option in network settings is gone and all I have is a MediaNet option (with the various wap info posted above). I tried to create one using ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM etc., but couldn't get it to connect. I'll call Cingular service tomorrow (no 24/7 service ...), but any thoughts on (a) where my old option went, and (b) why the ISP user name etc. doesn't work (I'm 99.99% sure I typed everything in correctly, case sensitive and all). Thanks.
  8.    #28  
    -Playcentric-

Sorry Playcentric i dont know if they will work...i think the department you might want to try to find this out would be IWC( international wireless care) They have a Data support team that might have the answer to that question

-scottharris-
    Network selection function disapeared cause they are getting rid of At&t network...i still have the network option on my phone and when i scan the network...it will say
    cingular
    cingular
    tmobile

I can only pick the 1st cingular cause its Orange cingular....if i was to pick the 2nd one...which is At&t it wont allow me to access the network...

As far as You trying all the setting and still not being able to get on the GPRS network...there is alot more then just gettings that would prevent you from getting on the network...sometimes the towers get hung-up and will keep you register off a tower that u might have passed once.... for example... let say you travel 50miles away from your home...and u place or get a phone call...or even check your email or other data service that tower will do its job...but lets say u travel back home..that tower might never let go of you... even thou u can still make phone calls when u get home the network will say that ur in that spot.. in this case we kick you off the network and have u powercycle..
    other things might be that the GPRS in ur area is down.. or the features on ur account didnt bridge over to the network correctly... and of course if it gets more into it..we send out a field tech to look what the problem is.. so there is alot more then just setting on the backend

and i'm VERY happy that our help desk isnt open 24/7 lol :-)
    I don't think I explained myself very well.

My issue isn't with choosing Cingular or T-Mobile or another network from the Phone screen (something I could do on my T-Mo 600, but never on my Cingular 650, without the network select hack). Instead, my problem is with the GPRS options on the Network preferences screen.

My 650 now says that it is connecting to MediaNet (WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM) etc. But I'm paying for PDA Connect. And, until about a week ago, my network connection used to be called Cingular GPRS (not MediaNet). Can't remember if the connection details were ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM or something else.

I'm connecting fine with MediaNet (and everything -- Web and e-mail -- seems to be working fine). But if I create a new Network connection with the ISP@ etc. login info that you posted in this thread, I can't get a GPRS/EDGE connection.

Bottom line for me is that I'm paying for PDA Connect, not MediaNet. And it ought to at least look like I'm getting something more than MediaNet.

I also just spend 90 mins on hold with Cingular and then got disconnected. Aargh.
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    We have figured the usability part of it by now. I myself use the $19.99/mo plan without any problems.

But, what will Cingular do if they find out? Do they knowingly allow the use of the WAP plan for the Treo? What's their official policy on this?

Thanks.
    I was in that boat. When I bought the blasted TREO650 via the Palm Website, there were two choices: Mediat-net or No Media-net .... I signed up for media net and believed that I was all set for data (all data) - I used it heavily for 6 months when it all of a sudden, stopped working. I called to tech support and was told by the third tier tech person that I had to upgrade to laptop connect to tether ($60 per month) or PDA connect for $39.95 per month.

I was pretty much pinned down. I was stuck half way through the one year contract and I absolutely must have data. So I blew my cellular budget. I will be switching to another carrier when this contract is up due to the way I was treated by C1NGULAR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghiscott
    I was in that boat. When I bought the blasted TREO650 via the Palm Website, there were two choices: Mediat-net or No Media-net .... I signed up for media net and believed that I was all set for data (all data) - I used it heavily for 6 months when it all of a sudden, stopped working. I called to tech support and was told by the third tier tech person that I had to upgrade to laptop connect to tether ($60 per month) or PDA connect for $39.95 per month.

I was pretty much pinned down. I was stuck half way through the one year contract and I absolutely must have data. So I blew my cellular budget. I will be switching to another carrier when this contract is up due to the way I was treated by C1NGULAR.
    ghiscott - I am starting to feel your pain also. I am on original ATTWS unlimit mMode for $24.99/month since 2/2005. Early this month (November) all a sudden I was not able to Web with the Network setup I had since Feburary. CNG tech support told me to set APN=public. Now I am getting a bill 4 times higher than my normal ones. I suspect that has to do with the Network setting and how the original setting won't work.

Not sure if our situation has similarities ...
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    As the cellular telephone industry consolidates to reduce the amount of choice (competition) - they will make their moves to increase revenue from the customers. Before sprint/nextel and cingular/att mergers, there was more choice. Essentially there are two choices for GSM and two choices for CDMA for a total of 4 carriers. Personally, I consider this an oligarchy. A monopoly of an industry by a small number of suppliers.

I guess they are under a lot of pressure to show a higher return on the money invested in building their cellular networks and brand identities.
    I have the $24.99 AT&T plan. It still works for me and Ihave not changed any network settings. I am in Austin, TX.
    Quote Originally Posted by emuyshondt
    I have the $24.99 AT&T plan. It still works for me and Ihave not changed any network settings. I am in Austin, TX.
    emuyshondt - thanks for the info. It's puzzling that my network setting won't work all at a sudden in Austin area. Web connect starts with connecting ... Established ... and then "canceling". Any ideas?

TIA
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    Emuyshondt - what settings do you have in your network connections app? If you provide the settings you are using, then playcentric can compare your settings with the settings in his treo and rule out the "incorrect settings" problem.
    On my phone there's no username or password, connection is GPRS and there's no APN defined. I'm talking about going to the web using the phone.

I tried setting things up for ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM And WAP@CINGULAR.COM and neither one worked for me. It says Connecting, Signing-on and canceling.

I need to clarify, if you are talking about a connection from a laptop, I haven't used that for a while. I think there is something else wrong with my setup since I've upgraded the phone software and it has been so long since I established a DUN connection. Even PDANet hasn't been working for several months but due to laptop connection issues not due to network issues. I had some problems with my laptop Windows 2000 installation some time ago and I never had the time to really go figure out what got broken with the DUN connection over BT and USB. I do Hotsync properly with BT, though, so the serial connection itself is working.
    tks. I had your GPRS setting before & it no longer works - getting 'canceling' - same as yours. I put APN=proxy & it works now. Still don't know why. Hope someone can explain ...
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    Very strange since we're in the same city. I haven't changed anything in the phone regarding the network settings since I purchased the phone from AT&T/Cingular, also in the February timeframe. The GPRS profile is locked and if I make a copy there's nothing in the APN field.
    I have a Cingular Treo 650 with no data plan at all currently (couldn't make myself spend the $40 per month on top of voice plan)

I read over TORR3NT's description of the differences between MediaNet and Data Connect a couple of times, and I have to say - **HUH**???

Can someone break that down into plain English?
    What is the real world use difference in the two?

When I do add a data plan of some kind, I need to be able to do POP3 e-mail (Chatter or Snapper) web browsing, instant messaging (Verichat) and some type of remote desktop client to get into my computer at work (still researching what is available to do this with Microsoft's Remote Desktop / Terminal Services stuff).

Will Media net allow this? --- and, would I be better off adding it from the web site instead of calling customer service to do it, just to be sure I don't get hounded about it not working, needing Data Connect, etc?
    When I do add a data plan of some kind, I need to be able to do POP3 e-mail (Chatter or Snapper) web browsing,
    You will need Media net for this.

instant messaging (Verichat)
    You will need a text messaging plan of some sort for this.

As for the remore desktop I'm sure what you can use for this. But i'm pretty sure media net will cover it.

And the website is a lot faster.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast