Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    We currently have a Tungsten/Palm based mobile application that we had custom built by a vender. The solution uses an external modem to establish connectivity, via an 800, to our cooperate offices to perform s data/app synchronization.

    We would like to have the application hosted on a Treo 650 and use the virtual modem to establish a network connection.

    In calling our Veriszon rep., we get answers from the data plan will better, to it is not possible, to is might not be supported.

    So my question to you, a third party, is this:

    Can we use the Treo 650 to establish a dial-up network connection so we can do away with external modems?

    If so, any links you can provided to the technology, procedures, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

    Me thinks Verizon is trying to up-sell
    Last edited by FMCNA; 11/14/2005 at 11:32 AM.
    Steve
  2. naivete's Avatar
    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    #2  
    Yes you can. Search for PDANet or go to http://www.junefabrics.com
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    Yes you can. Search for PDANet or go to http://www.junefabrics.com
    Thanks for the reply, but I fail to see how PdaNet for the Treo 650 meets the requirments above. What I read here:

    http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php

    Says:

    Software to drive your Treo smartphone as a Wireless Modem for your PC.
    For clarification:

    Users go out into various customer locations and enter data into our data collection application. The are given access to an analog line at the client location, or have to wait till they get back home, to use an external modem to call an 800 number back to our corporate office . This establishes a connection to our network, which then a 3rd party replication tool, synchronizes the data and application software.

    Our vision is that:

    Users while out in the field, could simply call, provided they have cell coverage, our same 800 using the Treo 650 and the built in virtual modem.

    In contacting Verizon, they did not want to even discuss our thoughts, and insist we go with a data plan.
    Steve
  4. #4  
    winhand, or movian VPN, or there are a couple of other solutions in this search;
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/se...archid=3106190
  5. #5  
    The way I understood your question, you still want to use dial up but do away with the external modem.

    To address your ultimate goal of performing data entry remotely, you can achive that as follows:
    1. Modify or create a UI on your corporate application that will allow your field personnel to enter information via the web through the 650 web access (blazer or other internet browser).
    2. If your field personel has a laptop, PDANet can allow you access to your corporate office application.

    Currently, I use ATT dial up application. It's the only one I was able to use to do dial up on my Treo. It uses my Treo minutes instead of data. Unfortunately I don't know if this will work with CDMA as I use GSM with T-Mobile service.

    Verizon will always insist on using data plan.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    winhand, or movian VPN, or there are a couple of other solutions in this search;
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/se...archid=3106190
    Thanks for the links. When I go here:

    http://www.mergic.com/

    I read:

    Mergic™ VPN allows you to securely access a private network, such as your corporate or home LAN, using a connection to the Internet.
    We will not have the data plan from the vender, and will not have an internet connection.

    What I need to know is how the device with a normal cell plan could (if possible), call our 800 dial up number to then issue, what I presume would be standard AT commands (thinking back to my z-modem days), that would then get us connect to ther would THEN open a VPN...
    Steve
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the post!

    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    The way I understood your question, you still want to use dial up but do away with the external modem.

    To address your ultimate goal of performing data entry remotely, you can achive that as follows:
    1. Modify or create a UI on your corporate application that will allow your field personnel to enter information via the web through the 650 web access (blazer or other internet browser).
    2. If your field personel has a laptop, PDANet can allow you access to your corporate office application.
    We already have the next generation software in the works… but for now we have to address the fact that external modems are an inssue for us.

    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Currently, I use ATT dial up application. It's the only one I was able to use to do dial up on my Treo. It uses my Treo minutes instead of data. Unfortunately I don't know if this will work with CDMA as I use GSM with T-Mobile service.
    I do not think I am articulating myself clearly. Let me try to ask it this way:

    I ‘simply’ want use the virtual modem on the Treo 650 to internalize what the external modem is currently doing.

    Otherwise said:

    How can I use the Treo 650 via it’s cell phone (non-data plan) to dial our modem bank 800 number to establish a connection so that a person can then transmit data from anywhere they have cell coverage?

    We current use external modems:

    Trio 650 >> external modem >> wire to a wall jack >> dial 800 >> connect !

    We want to remove the external modems:

    Trio 650 >> dial 800 (via cell) >> connect !
    Steve
  8. #8  
    Your first post was crystal clear, I'm unsure why you got the wide variety of responses you did.

    You can do this by:
    1) Open Prefs on Treo 650.
    2) Select 'Network' under communication
    3) Use the Menu key on the Treo, select Service-New
    4) Name the service whatever you'd like.
    5) Select the type as "Virtual Modem"
    6) Enter Username/Password/RAS-Pool number
    7) Ensure all other GUI/Dialog options are good to go.

    I believe the clients will handshake at 19,200bps if CDMA and 9600bps if GSM. If your application is network aware, perhaps it will automatically trigger the connect. If it isn't, users must manually go under Prefs->Communication/Network->Select service name you created in step #4, and hit 'Connect'.
  9.    #9  
    This was the direction I was looking for. I'll give it a try. Thanks!
    Steve

Posting Permissions