Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Is there anyway to use your minutes to access the internet versus buying a data plan? If so, how?
    Quote Originally Posted by PruSucks
    Is there anyway to use your minutes to access the internet versus buying a data plan? If so, how?
    ...I don't think so. They will charge you "casual usage" data charges, which, for example, with Sprint are $.02 a kilobyte. It will not have any effect on your minutes one way or another.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Who is your carrier?

With Verizon, you should be able to access using only minutes if you set up a new connection to a dial-up ISP, though the speeds will be around 14.4 .
    yes AND no
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    Who is your carrier?

With Verizon, you should be able to access using only minutes if you set up a new connection to a dial-up ISP, though the speeds will be around 14.4 .
    Agreed. Once you establish a dial connection, your use of it is not visible to the carrier. What is more, they do not much care. However, be careful if roaming off your plan. Once in Singapore, because the default roaming carrier did not offer GPRS, I used a dial connection to access e-mail and browse. Given roaming charges and trans-oceanic toll charges, I spent a lot of money.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Carrier ir Verizon.
    Dutch, thanks for your insight!
    Carrier ir Verizon.
    Dutch, thanks for your insight!
    What am I? Chopped liver?
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Doom, can u tell me where to go to setup minutes only?
    Sytem>Preferences>new>Service=yourdialupisp>connection=wireless dialup>username=yourIDw/yourdialupISP>password=yourpasswordwyourisp>phone=anydial numberforyourdialupisp>done.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Is there an extra charge for bandwidth when i use my minutes?
    Not if it is set up properly.

I am using Verizon and have the pay-as-you-go plan for data. I connect to my Roadrunner ISP via dialup from my Treo. It uses minutes only and does not cost me any bandwidth at all. Ever. Not even once.

Here is my setup....I have been using it flawlessly for months without an issue (if you don't have Roadrunner, the first set of instructions won't apply to you. You need to find your own dial-up ISP number.)

DIAL UP FROM TREO 650 USING VERIZON SERVICE AND ROADRUNNER
    1. Register for Dial Access http://dialaccess.rr.com using your Road Runner master email account and password.
    2. Click on “Download” to install either the Windows or Mac compatible Dial Access dialers on your computer.
    3. Click on “Access Number” to find local calling numbers for your travel destination. Road Runner offers hundreds
    of numbers in all 50 states and Washington, DC. (Rochester NY 585 957-7000)

Go to Preferences->Network
    Pulldown menu -> Service ->New
    Enter a name for Service, eg "Roadrunner Dialup"
    Connection: Select Virtual Modem
    User Name: This is your ISP login name, for Roadrunner it is the master email account, WITH your local domain name, eg "<username>@rochester.rr.com".
    Password: your password
    Phone number: Your local access number (mine in Rochester is 585-957-7000)
    Tap Details->
    Idle Timeout: I use "3 minutes" but since snappermail autodisconnects it doesn't really matter for me.
    Advanced -->
    IP Address= checked automatic
    Query DNS= checked

->Script
    Modify the script commands to read exactly like this:
    Send CR:
    Send: aolnet/ent. <- INCLUDE THE PERIOD!
    Send CR:
    Send User ID:
    Send CR:
    Send CR:
    Send Password:
    Send CR:
    Send CR:
    Send: PPP
    Send CR:
    End

OK->OK-> back to network screen
    Tap Connect to test. If you end up seeing the Established message, you're okay.

As long as you leave this Service as the selected one, it will be used for all data connections (email, web, etc). If you ever need/want to use the higher speed net, just go back into Prefs->Network and select the original one. Just remember you'll be paying data charges for the higher speed.

For me, I do limited email and web searches. I let Snappermail pull my e-mail every morning at 5:30am (free nights and weekends ends at 6:00am) and I do manual pulls more frequently on weekends and after 9pm. During the day, I manually check just one e-mail account that gets the most important items so I can get on and off in one or two minutes. I would prefer to have the unlimited data plan but there is no way I will pay Verizon $45 for it!
    Not for bandwidth. You are simply using minutes that you have already paid for.

However, you must also pay for a dial-up ISP.

For example, I am a Cingular subscriber and an Earthlink subscriber. I pay Cingular for 1000 minutes per month. I pay Earthlink for unlimited use. Until I hit 1000 minutes, can be done for data, there is no "extra charge" for me to use Cingular to connect my Treo to Earthlink.
    am i the only one that can not change my network prefs? my treo650 with verizon service will not let me change the prefs. it's locked. any ideas on how to get around this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeuel
    am i the only one that can not change my network prefs? my treo650 with verizon service will not let me change the prefs. it's locked. any ideas on how to get around this.
    Create a "new" connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeuel
    Probably a dumb question but did you try pressing the pull down menu key, going to the Service menu and selecting "new"?
    how about you diffirent ISP like SBC how to set the script to make it work?
    Thanks
    ...ummmmmm
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Sytem>Preferences>new>Service=yourdialupisp>connection=wireless dialup>username=yourIDw/yourdialupISP>password=yourpasswordwyourisp>phone=anydial numberforyourdialupisp>done.
    ...what THAT guy said.
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ...what THAT guy said.
    To brett3333,
    I flollow your script and get ppp timeout error x 1232 . I went to the roadrun to register I am not a member, can not register. My ISP is SBC, I don't undestand is "Send: aolnet/ent. <- INCLUDE THE PERIOD! " How do I Send using SBC dialup?
    Thanks
    If you do not have roadrunner, this will not work as your dialup. You need to get some other dialup account to use. Chances are, the script you need will differ as well.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast