1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

In Nov 2003 I was in Quito and noticed that if I turned on my Verizon CDMA phone I was able to connect to the local network.

I am returning in a week for business and would like to activate my VZW Treo 600 (probably on a pay as you go type plan).

1) Do I need to unlock my Treo?
    2) How do I do this? I will want to reactivate my phone with Verizon upon my return to the states in in January.
    3) Does anyone know who the providers are in Ecuador? Will I have issues getting my US phone activated (ESN ranges, etc)?
    I have the answer to #1: No. You can't unlock a CDMA phone, that is only for GSM. If you used your Verizon phone down there and it worked, just go with Verizon up in the states and get international calling on it. You may or may not be able to activate the phone with one of their carriers...
  3.    #3  
    I am in Quito now. I have signal here, but when I try to make a call I get a message in Spanish that says my phone is not activated on the local network. Apparently Verizon doesn't operate here (they do in the Dominican Republic, but I digress).

Can I take my phone to a local provider, give them the ESN, and have it activated?
    Quote Originally Posted by maharashii
    I am in Quito now. I have signal here, but when I try to make a call I get a message in Spanish that says my phone is not activated on the local network.
    I had the same problem in Mexico in April. I could receive calls but couldn't call out. When you get the message in spanish it will tell you to press 3 for english or just dial 611 and press 3. They will then connect you with Verizon who will have to register your phone for use there. It should be automatic, but it wasn't for me, and doesn't sound like it is for you. You can dial customer service. From a landline dial: (803) 400-4455 or if you can, from the cell. (803) 400-4455. It should work there, so don't give up. It took me a few hours until I could make a call.
  5.    #5  
    So are you are saying that I have to get Verizon to give me "international" access so that I can "roam" on whatever network exists here in Ecuador? How much is that going to cost me? (it's alot easier for me to ask you than it is to call Verizon at the moment)

Is there any way I could go to one of the local providers (Andinatel, etc) and just buy a prepaid block of minutes? I imagine that would be much cheaper ...
    Quote Originally Posted by maharashii
    So are you are saying that I have to get Verizon to give me "international" access so that I can "roam" on whatever network exists here in Ecuador? How much is that going to cost me? (it's alot easier for me to ask you than it is to call Verizon at the moment)

Is there any way I could go to one of the local providers (Andinatel, etc) and just buy a prepaid block of minutes? I imagine that would be much cheaper ...
    No, Verizon only charges you a per minute charge. What Ecuador adds onto that charge only they know. That's the same with any roaming in foreign countries. What I was saying is that Verizon should've given them permission to roam on their network. You'd think that would be automatic. You also could be right about buying a per minute plan down there. Sorry, I wish I saw this thread before you left the country as that when it would've been easier to arrange the no hassle roaming.