Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    The 1.04 firmware available from Palm apparently has some pretty serious memory improvements. After the update I restored everything using Backup Buddy and now have about 12% more memory available. I am sure nothing is missing. I wonder what they did being that they claimed there was no memory issue with the olf firmware.

The upgrade went smoothly, same as 1.03
    I didn't pay too much attention to how much more free space I now have, but I did say to myself.... "I didn't have that much space on there, did I?"

My update went flawlessly as well. Highly recommended update... Good luck updating to all.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p
    Also installed the update and after re-installing everything I went from 8 MB of free memory to 13 MB.
    I did the 1.04 upgrade today and didn't get back as much as others did.
    Hardly any at all.

So far, 1.04 hasn't messed me up but I don't detect any plus about running
    it here.
    be sure to check for java and voice dialing which are not reinstalled after the update.
    As for memory my free memory it is the exact same as before update, 13.8 mb. As for RAM, I never checked it before but fileZ says I have 14426112 free ram with a total size of 17039360. Is that good? I have no idea what that means.

I have noticed that I have no bars at my house now where I had two before. If I dial *18 send, I get four bars.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I gained like .6mb..nothing to jump up and down about..now im curious to see this new multi call UI but I only have 1 friend
    Quote Originally Posted by kenspen
    Also installed the update and after re-installing everything I went from 8 MB of free memory to 13 MB.
    Did you reinstall from your old user profile or just reinstall the applications? I think you reinstalled the applications and of course, you will get a lot more space.
    I installed the update. Forgot to check my memory before I started. But, I did check the memory after a hard reset, before and after the firmware. The memory was the same, 21.8mb of 22.4mb free.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    Did you reinstall from your old user profile or just reinstall the applications? I think you reinstalled the applications and of course, you will get a lot more space.
    Well, ok, my goof. I got so excited that the upgrade went without a hitch that I reported my results too quickly. I did the reinstall from my old profile and didn't discover until last night that a reinstall from the old profile does not reinstall voicedial. Turns out the memory improvement is closer to 3 MB rather than the 5 previously reported. There were a couple of other small programs that also did not reinstall for whatever reason. Anyway, I'm still pretty pleased to have gained anything.
    pics are also not reinstalled
    Everyone assuming that "Optimized memory handling with non-volatile file system improvements" means more memory. I am hoping that it addresses the DBCache issue. I need to reset my 650 twice a day to keep the DBCache free. (I know about DBCache Tool but for me it seems to create problems and nobody seems to agree on how it should be configured.) Perhaps the NVFS DBCaching was "optimized" to free memory faster.
    Treo 650 Verizon 1.04
    http://www.rgps.com
    It freed up 300K for me. Big whoop.
    I am starting to think Optimized means faster. My Treo seems faster to me now. Anyone else ?

(Why can't they be more specific in there release change notes !!!)
    Treo 650 Verizon 1.04
    http://www.rgps.com
    Although I was fairly quick to do the last VZW upgrade, which went very smooth, I think I'm going to sit this one out.

There's always a couple of third party apps that need to be re-tweaked after the process, and given that mine has been very solid lately, I'm not seeing enough on the new update to compell me to do it.
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    What does *18 do?

Quote Originally Posted by RickMG
    As for memory my free memory it is the exact same as before update, 13.8 mb. As for RAM, I never checked it before but fileZ says I have 14426112 free ram with a total size of 17039360. Is that good? I have no idea what that means.

I have noticed that I have no bars at my house now where I had two before. If I dial *18 send, I get four bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey
    What does *18 do?
    With Verizon it just makes sure you're on the closest tower to your phone and thus the strongest signal. Usually helps me when I find I have a low signal, but not all the time. I have it on speed dial and always do it at my home because when I first turn on the phone it's usually has a low signal. Once I do it it usually moves up two to three bars.