Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    I'm curious if once you are using EVDO on a CDMA network, calls that go direct to voice mail occur less often? Given the higher speed of that connection I would assume that data connection can get dropped quicker to allow incoming calls to get through? Does anybody know?
    Basically the rules are no different. But pages will load faster over EVDO than 1xRTT, so the chances are higher that a call will get through if around the time you are web browsing. But rollover to voice mail will still occur if there is active data.

When the next gen EVDO comes next year or two, Voice over IP phones will appear. You'll be able to use voice and data at the same time.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    So far I have surfed on the web more on my 6700 than I have on my old T650. I get the same amount of calls monthly and I yet to get a VM notification due to surfing. On my T650 I would get notifications at times left and right while surfin thru blazer really quick for something. 6700 = So far so good...
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    The rules are NOT the same. EVDO uses an entirely different radio from CDMA/1xRTT. In the 650 (and other 1xRTT phones), data usage hijacks the voice line, and vice versa. However, with and EVDO phone, as long as you are in an EVDO service area (i.e., not stepping down to 1xRTT), you will not have the problem of missed calls because they will be using two separate radios (and frequencies) and not competing for the same resource. This is probably my #1 reason for really wanting an EVDO phone. I can stream to pTunes or MobiTV (or WMP or whatever your OS provides) and have no worries about missing calls (and with the obvious benefit of larger bandwidth providing better quality streams).
    ptyork is correct. An active EVDO connection is interrupted by an incoming voice call. You can choose to take the call or ignore it. You still can't download data and talk at the same time, but at least with EVDO you won't miss calls.
  6. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Yup. On my i730 calls get through on EVDO and do NOT go directly to voicemail.
    My mistake. Good to know.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    This is great to know. Probably the #1 reason I want a evdo plam treo. I would settle for current speeds but no missed calls.
    Just to clarify:
    With Sprint, 1xRTT and EVDO operate at the same frequency - 1.9Ghz. Different radios, channels, etc., yes. Different frequencies, no.

Verizon, I believe, does operate voice and EVDO data at different frequencies, however.
    THIS IS AWESOME..!! I'm really excited about EV-DO. I remember asking the same question months ago and getting replies saying that it will be the same as with 1xRTT. I kind of hated that because it still had that issue, which is really bad. I can tell you that my wife and my dad think my Treo is a crappy phone because they get voicemail more than usual. I can't blame them, I would be pissed too if I needed to talk to someone right away and all I get is voicemail. EV-DO Treo is a MUST-UPGRADE...! It has to be a Palm OS thought...

Al
    for verizon EV-DO is a dato only service, so the calls coming through is true.
    The calls coming through is true, but there is only one radio in the phone (capable of handling both 1XRTT and EVDO). If there were two radios, you would be able to talk on the phone and receive data simultaneously. Still, the current EVDO implementation is pretty nice when you need to surf, but don't want to miss calls.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    This is news to me also and it's VERY good to hear.

Joe
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    I spoke to somebody in sprint that claims to be knowledgeable in this area. They say that if you are moving data you will loose the call.

Quote Originally Posted by vamp07
    I spoke to somebody in sprint that claims to be knowledgeable in this area. They say that if you are moving data you will loose the call.

If your data connection is via 1xRTT, yes. If EVDO -- no you will not lose the call. The phone will ring and you can pause the data pull and take the call. Or you can ignore it.