Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    2 Hours is acceptable? Not in my book.

Let me clarify. I waited on line 15 minutes to explain the problem. They said to come back in 2 hours for the replacement phone. I went back, waited for less than 2 minutes, and walked out with a replacement phone each time.
    Wow,
    I don't how you kept your calm. I also don't know how you didn't have a coronary. I'm on bp medicine, and I don't think I would have been able to keep my temper down.

Definitely send that off to the Sprint CEO and anyone else in Sprint you can think of, with names.

Actually I found sending that to your Attorney General, will get ALOT of response and action. And while your at why not your local news snoop. In CT, I think each news channel has a "Investigative Consumer Report" team. I'm sure they'd jump on a story like that.

Good luck, let us know how it all pans out.
    Cingular GSM Treo 650, Apple PowerBook G4, iQue 3600, iPod Photo 60GB
    PalmPilot > Palm Vx > Palm M505 > Garmin iQue 3600 > Treo 650

Seek first to understand, then to be Understood
    I have replaced my 650 3 times so far for earphone jack malfunction and had no issue with the sprint store here in Dearborn, MI. and usually the new phone arrive in 3 days. I'll suggest that you file a complaint with Sprint. Go back and get the manager (the person you talked to) and file a complaint. and never visit that store again.
    BTW, I have removed Versamail long time ago, using Shadowmite procedure. Instead I've used Snapper mail, until I tried Chatter mail and that what I'm using now. No Problems.
    I just went through the exact same thing almost. Though my phone sucked so bad that they knew it was hardware. My issue was actually getting a replacement. I finally ended up with a brand new phone but i wouldn't want to put anybody through what I went through. If you pay $600 dollars for a phone, you should get a brand new one the day you bring it in. It's science.
    Quote Originally Posted by netfreedom
    I have been there with Sprint. The best thing to do is pick the "nicest" Sprint store in the "nicest" neighborhood. That is, an area where rich people live. Then (no joke) make sure you are dressed VERY nicely. This is especially important if you are younger. Make sure the store you have selected is a testing location. Have an activity planned while your phone is tested. Explain that you have no landline and that it's imperative you get get a phone. Call this store shortly before your visit to ensure they have 650's in stock, but don't mention your problem.

This concludes your Sprint Store 650 Return Profiling.
    Sadly, this is the truth of most customer service avenues today. First thing I thought of when the OP mentioned his situation was that it was probably a store in not the best area stocked with people that are racially biased against whatever race the OP is.

-WC-
    Quote Originally Posted by WildCard
    Sadly, this is the truth of most customer service avenues today. First thing I thought of when the OP mentioned his situation was that it was probably a store in not the best area stocked with people that are racially biased against whatever race the OP is.

-WC-
    Oh, I wouldn't be so quick to play the race card here. . . just very very stupid.
    Oh, I wouldn't be so quick to play the race card here. . . just very very stupid.
    I agree. I work in downtown Chicago and have dealt with stupidity of all races! The problem is there is at best one tech person at each Sprint store that actually knows anything about Treos. If that person isn't the one who tests your phone, you're screwed. The sales reps don't have a clue about these phones other than how much they cost. And, even if a knowledgeable tech does test your phone, it's still up to the store manager (who probably doesn't know anything about Treos, either) to decide what to do for you. They have the ability to give you a brand new, in the box replacement phone the minute it's established that you need a new phone, but again, it's up to the manager.

Going to stores in more affluent areas works not because of the racial makeup of store employees, but because those stores probably sell more Treos and have more in stock which allows them more leway when issueing replacements.
    Indeed, I'd be more apt to believe that education (or lack thereof) has more to do with the employees' attitudes than their racial bias. It's a shame to say it, but I've been to places of business (both good and bad) and observed that customer service was a direct reflection of the neighborhood (and usual clientele that the employees were used to dealing with).

In some areas, there is a poor attitude because the employees aren't happy with the job in the first place. They don't like customer service-oriented jobs, but they aren't qualified to do anything else, so they take out their frustrations on the customer.

On the other side of the coin, the clientele in some areas comes into the store being abusive, ignorant, rude, and downright nasty. People tend to react based on their past experiences. Therefore, due to the area, the employees may already have their defenses up before even hearing what the problem is.

The key to getting good customer service is to first "disarm" the customer service representative (CSR) by letting them know that you don't blame them personally for the problem that you have. Be polite. Smile. Let them know when you are in a hurry and why. Remain calm.

Sometimes this works... Sometimes not. According to the original poster, it just sounds like this particular store was full of idiots. It's particularly disturbing that the employee didn't know what was a 3rd party application versus an application in ROM (VersaMail).

Oh well... If everyone was intelligent then there would be nothing to distinguish those of us who are.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  9.    #29  
    Okay, some of you have read my post about my frustrating experience with Sprint. I think, to be fair, even more amazing is how it got resolved this morning. First, here's the post:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=96792

So I got home last night and typed up that long narrative, and thought...hmm. You know, the CEO/President of Sprint MUST have an email. I scrambled around the web, found his name (so that everyone doesn't start emailing him I'll respect his privacy) and made a few guesses as to his email. I shot off the email at 10 pm last night, telling him, respectfully, that I was a loyal customer and described what happened.

I apparently guessed right as to his email, because at 7:40 am, this morning, the CEO/President of Sprint personally replied to me, apologized, and told me he was going to direct his staff to work with me to immediately resolve the issue.

About three hours later, I got a call from an assistant to the CEO. He listened for about a minute, apologized profusely, told me that the CEO had told him to resolve the situation, and that they'd be sending me a brand new (NOT refurbished) phone in the mail (which was fine, as there are apparently only refurbished ones in the stores near me).

They also said they were going to immediately review the customer service situation at the store I visited and take steps to correct the situation.

Not a bad ending (assuming I get my phone in the mail within a few days, but I think I probably will since I was dealing with the CEO/President of the company).

Beat that!!!
    Wow, that's awesome. I'll bet they send it overnight.
    c'mon, the CEO of Sprint read your email??!!
  12.    #32  
    I'm dead serious. Swear on my Treo 650's grave. Not only read it, but replied.
    congrats!!
    Should have insisted on the 6700 instead!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    c'mon, the CEO of Sprint read your email??!!
    I'd like to think that too but usually they (CEO's in general) don't have a lot of time to read all the emails they get. Just like any leader in almost any other large organization, they have people they trust 'filtering' their email to them.

However, that's not important here. The fact is that 'someone' read your email, saw how crappy you got treated, and put it in the right hands to get you a phone call and a new treo in the mail. You might avoid that sprint store for a while too...if the CEO or his staff do make a call to the Mgr or sent a letter stating what you told them, they aren't likely to appreciate being called out for their crappy CSR skills (this is just one example of how Sprint gets a bad 'rep' for stuff like this. )
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Congrats. Keep us updated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tone
    I agree. I work in downtown Chicago and have dealt with stupidity of all races! The problem is there is at best one tech person at each Sprint store that actually knows anything about Treos. If that person isn't the one who tests your phone, you're screwed. The sales reps don't have a clue about these phones other than how much they cost. And, even if a knowledgeable tech does test your phone, it's still up to the store manager (who probably doesn't know anything about Treos, either) to decide what to do for you. They have the ability to give you a brand new, in the box replacement phone the minute it's established that you need a new phone, but again, it's up to the manager.

Going to stores in more affluent areas works not because of the racial makeup of store employees, but because those stores probably sell more Treos and have more in stock which allows them more leway when issueing replacements.
    I see your point entirely but I have experienced the racial part of it too.They look at me like I'm crazy when I pull my Treo out. I admittedly fit the "thug" stereotype. I'm college educated but self employed so I have no need to wear suits. When I go into the Sprint store for problems they talk to me like $hit until I prove I have knowledge of my phone and what it can do. One rep even once told me, My 650 is supposed to reset every time I manually get my e-mails. And in the same breath he said 3rd party software voids my warranty! Riiiiight. HAHAHA That must be it!!! Anyways, I can def see how people get treated differently by the reps b/c of race.I get enough harrassment when I'm pulled over for "D5SWB" (driving a 5 series while black) travelling through our north suburbs. **cough cough**SKOKIE!! cough cough** Wilmette **cough cough cough!!** Des Plaines!!! Back on point tho, I know I'm black.But I also know I paid $500 for a WORKING PHONE!
    Also, I have seen the reps tell an older european(russian?) lady that she can't exchange/repair her broken phone(that was only 3 months old) b/c she did not have her original receipt.And she had ins................Another blatant lie. She was leaving the store lookin real confused until a concerned customer that was there disputed it for her.
    Because of that tho, I usually only deal with the Sprint stores in Evanston or Lincolnwood now. It saves the hassle.They have a melting pot of people from all walks of life coming through there daily so I know I will be treated fairly at both those stores once they realize I KNOW MY PHONE.

Sweet Chi-Town Music!

300 > 600 > 650

CURRENT EQUIPMENT

TREO 650

Alternate Phone- Motorola Razr V3 (silver)
    Thats hot! Great ending to a horrible experience if everything works out. Climbing that corporate latter def works. Highest I ever got was a Regional Manager and he resolved it just as quickly. Thanks for the update!

Sweet Chi-Town Music!

300 > 600 > 650

CURRENT EQUIPMENT

TREO 650

Alternate Phone- Motorola Razr V3 (silver)
    2 hours is reasonable to allow them to look at it and determine what the issues could be.

I had a problem with Treo 650 stuck keyboard. I didn't have insurance but it was covered under Palm's 1-year warranty. I was kind of surprised that Sprint handled the Palm warranty for me. I got the replacement phone in 3 days via Sprint instead of having to deal with Palm. They could have done it that day if I had insurance. I've since added insurance.

As far as this board knowing more about Treo than Sprint (or other carrier), of course that is true. Sprint and all carriers are not experts with details of the hundreds of models of phones and different OSs they've had over the years. They should be good at replacement and problem solving of voice issues, account info, but not Palm specific things. You go to Palm for Palm problems.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by netfreedom
    I have been there with Sprint. The best thing to do is pick the "nicest" Sprint store in the "nicest" neighborhood. That is, an area where rich people live.
    Yup. I've also found that of the 2 Sprint stores within (reasonable) driving distance, I routinely receive better service at the store located in a ritzy area.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast