1.    #1  
    Has anyone else had trouble sending mail using a 3rd party SMTP server?

I use a private email hosting provider to pop into my email, and to smtp (send) it out. Just yesterday, I began having authentication problems sending. After going a round with my hosting provider, they suggested I ask Sprint if they're blocking the use of 3rd party SMTP servers (to prevent spam, etc, etc).
    Most likely it's your provider that doesn't allow relaying. I use Cox Communications and they don't allow relaying, just like many providers. You have to be inside their network to have access to SMTP servers. It has nothing to do with Sprint. Just use your Sprint Vision info for outgoing SMTP. Be sure to use authentication.
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    Most likely it's your provider that doesn't allow relaying. I use Cox Communications and they don't allow relaying, just like many providers. You have to be inside their network to have access to SMTP servers. It has nothing to do with Sprint. Just use your Sprint Vision info for outgoing SMTP. Be sure to use authentication.
    Nail........Meet............Head
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    when i had a treo 600 on sprint i could use pop and smtp just fine on snappermail.

But for some reason when i used pdanet to connect my laptop to their network smtp was blocked. PDANET swore up and down it wasn't them but something sprint does.

I was using secure authentication with the exact same settings on the snappermail on the treo and my email client on the laptop.

So apparently they do block smtp under certain conditions.
    It depends on the network you are connecting to. IE, Yahoo will allow using SMTP from outside of their domain. But if you have an email account that is an ISP, they may only allow IP addresses from within the domain to connect... Like JohnH explained.

efudd, what ISP or email provider were you using? When using PDANet, doesn't it make your PC have a local IP subnet.. the 192.168 subnet? The SMTP server may not have liked that.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I am relaying from Sprint with no problems. But you may want to call the level 2 techs and ask.

As for me I have hadn't seen a problem with my email at all.
    Palm V to the Palm 505 to the Palm 515 to the Zire 71 to Treo 600 to the Treo 650 to the Treo 700 to the Treo 755 to the Treo 700w (30 days hated it) to the Treo 755p to the Blackberry World Edition (Hated it) to the PALM PRE!
    I don't think it is Sprint that does not allow relaying. It's your ISP. I have two accounts that have no problem using the SMTP for that service. But, my Cox Communications account gives me a "relaying not allowed" message if I try to use their SMTP. Thus, for those accounts I set the SMTP to smtp.sprintpcs.com.
    I was using it last night and it worked fine.

Tom
    I too use relaying to go through our corporate server. Initially, I would get the message "no relaying allowed", but our internal IT guys fixed it. No problems now.
    iPhone on AT&T, Waiting for the Pre
    Actually, Sprint was blocking SMTP, last night. Since the dates on this thread were from the end of September, I thought that's what people were talking about. Now I see the thread was from September 2005.

This was definitely not a case of an ISP blocking access to the SMTP port, as I run my own mailserver and no blocking is taking place on it (and I could connect to it from other systems). I also tried the SMTP port of a mailserver that I often send mail to, and I couldn't connect to that either. I even tried using a telnet client to confirm it wasn't an issue with VersaMail. It wasn't. Through all this, I was able to connect to smtp.sprintpcs.com just fine. It also wasn't an issue of not being able to reach my server at all, since I could get to port 80 on it fine using Blazer.

I was getting ready to set up my mailserver to accept mail submission over port 587 to avoid the port 25 block, but today it has been lifted, and I can send mail through my own server again.

Hopefully this port 25 blocking was a one-time configuration error (does Sprint run any other networks where they do do port 25 blocking?) and not testing for an upcoming permanent deployment. I don't know if it was only in place last night, or if it started before that, since it's been awhile since I last sent a mail from my Treo.