1.    #1  
    Problem: After a reboot, screen won't come back on. Have to reboot again to do anything with it. Probably the worst thing ever since I use this phone constantly.

Solution: A refurbished Treo 650. I also had to do this with the Treo 600 and got another piece. Why can't they have new phones?

Best part: They handed me back my messed up phone and said, we'll have a replacement by Thursday hopefully..... Thanks for the broken phone Sprint, let me make/get all those important calls I get. Oh wait, I can't because my phone doesn't work. At least give me a loaner phone or something that actually works or let me get a totally different phone. I'm not pleased in the least.....
    Bummer.

I don't think I could go two days without my Treo, of course, I consider it a PDA first and a phone, second. A loner would have been nice but I really do believe that they are set up to deliver a replacement right away and just happened to be out of the one (or two) that they keep in stock for such swaps - - - so there is normally no need for a Sprint location to have a loaner process set up. My swap (as I found out later was unnecessary) took all of 10 minutes.

Hang in there for two days!

Cheers, Perry.
  3.    #3  
    You honestly don't realize how much you use this little sucker until you can't really use it at all. Amazing. I'm just not pleased with getting a refurbed phone again, that's not a good way to do business in my opinion. Of course it would cost the company more money but i cringe at the thought of a used phone.....
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemethod
    You honestly don't realize how much you use this little sucker until you can't really use it at all. Amazing. I'm just not pleased with getting a refurbed phone again, that's not a good way to do business in my opinion. Of course it would cost the company more money but i cringe at the thought of a used phone.....
    I felt the same way, especially after finding out that I really did not have to give up my original one! But the refurb has worked great. Looked brand new to me, you wouldn't know -- accept they are telling you it is a refurb. And, until your post here, I had forgotten it was a refurb!

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I "found" a sprint store, actually one of those mall boutique booth thingies, that didn't have any refurbished in stock... so they gave me a new phone. If I'd have gone to a regular sprint store, its likely I would have gotten refurbed. Just a thought...
  6.    #6  
    Do they even have "Tech's" at those booths? To my knowledge, you have to have your phone looked at by those "Tech's" (wait at least 30 minutes for them to tell you what you already know) to get a replacement under warrenty. How'd you bypass that tidbit that I can never seem to get away from? I like where your heads at though, nice work.
    Do they even have "Tech's" at those booths? To my knowledge, you have to have your phone looked at by those "Tech's" (wait at least 30 minutes for them to tell you what you already know) to get a replacement under warrenty. How'd you bypass that tidbit that I can never seem to get away from? I like where your heads at though, nice work.
    I had problems w/constant resets. Then lost all my sounds and took it to the store. keep in mind that this was the 3rd replacement within a month. They offered me a refurb but they said I needed to wait 4-5 days. I demanded to speak to the store manager and after speaking w/him he replaced my phone w/ a brand new one out of the box. I told him that it was for business and I was not taking a refurb. 1st he told me that they(refubs) were brand new. So with the help of this forum I was able to do a ##RTN and showed him that this phone was once used. It baffled him that I knew the code. He then gladly opened a new box for me and switched out my phone.
  8.    #8  
    They know my phone is for my business yet they don't really care to give me a replacement. Yes, I'm just annoyed by that and will continue to be. I think I pay quite a bit out a month to have cell phones and I believe if their product sucks, I shouldn't have to deal with it. I'll try and pull that card on Thursday but I'm sure they'll all giggle at me like little girls. Then I'll proceed to kick them in the teeth. I can't back that up.
  9.    #9  
    Just a little update..... Last night my phone actually turned off completely. Tried taking the battery out 100 times and it finally came back on. I NEED A NEW PHONE NOW! I'm calling them today to demand a brand new phone today! WOW!
    "...I NEED A NEW PHONE NOW!..."

Open a new account and get one. Foward your "current number" to the new phone. You have 14 days to try it out which should ne long enough for the repair...
    Sprints phone customer service is HORRIBLE.I have a chronoligically ordered series of phone calls recorded that I was hung up on 8 times in row.Three calls in which I advised the reps I have been hung up on numerous times previously.One lady hung up on me when I asked her name at the BEGINNING of the convo(nervous?)!! The in-store techs are easier to deal with but they'll lie to your face until you make them realize you know what you're talking about. You MUST speak with a manager and demand a new phone. Advise him/her that you use your phone for business and that you cannot do without. Problems with the actual unit has nothin to do with you(if its not damaged) b/c you paid your $500+ for a WORKING Treo 650. You don't sign a disclaimer at the time of purchase saying your paying for a "sometimes working" Treo 650. I have been through 3 for various reasons and I ALWAYS demand a new one per their defects were at no fault of mine.They just take one look at the notes to see that I mean business about payin that penalty for breaking my contract(sometimes the death stare works too) and its smooth sailing from there. I also have an account with Verizon too and they have excellent customer service so I won't stand for anything less.Go up that corporate letter if you have to.

Sweet Chi-Town Music!

300 > 600 > 650

CURRENT EQUIPMENT

TREO 650

Alternate Phone- Motorola Razr V3 (silver)
  12.    #12  
    After being shuffled from person to person in customer service, I asked to speak with a manager. I explained my story for the 7th time and I was depending I get a new phone that day because I need a phone. He said that he'll put a note on my account saying to exchange with a new phone. I go to the Sprint store and they give me trouble because it says in the disclaimer that they can only do warrenty stuff with refurb. I explain that I spoke with a CS manager and he said I could get a brand new one. They say they don't even have any new Treo 650's and then I asked if they would call other stores. They come back and say they don't have any either. I then call the other Sprint store close by and they say yes we have them. I asked if they could check my account for the note and they said they can't do exchanges there. This is the last straw. I'm not happy.
    FWIW, the support in the Sprint stores is horrible. I tried for weeks to get them to move my company sponsored Treo to my wife's existing account only to be told they couldn't do that. I finally used my company's rep to get in touch with someone on the retail side and they got it worked out by converting my phone to an employee liable account then adding my wife's phones to that. I have no faith in the stores past actually selling you a phone but I do like the support I got when I called in. The rep I got even mentioned the Vision pricing loophole when we told them we only wanted to keep the vision on the Treo.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Along with my 23% sprint discount I usually get about 77% the service...good trade off when everything is going smoothly. I've been through billing HELL anytime I make changes to my plan, but I usually come out on the good end after 10-20 phone calls.
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    It seems like you're so unhappy with Sprint. Aside from elder shawn, why didn't you switch to a different carrier?
    Okay, rather than start a new thread I thought I'd ask this here since everyone is mentioning refurbished phones. How can you tell a refurbished phone from a new one? I have had three phones, all shipped directly from Verizon. I, like Perry, realize that I never needed one replaced in the first place. I couldn't tell any difference in any of the phones by packaging or anything. Actually, it might have been too soon for Verizon to have refurbs as all three were gotten within two weeks of Verizon starting sales of the 650.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    All I can remember is that there is a thread that talks about identifying defective treo 600s by a range of serial numbers, and that if you got a replacement phone whose serial falls within range, you got a refurbished. I don't know if that holds true with the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG
    Okay, rather than start a new thread I thought I'd ask this here since everyone is mentioning refurbished phones. How can you tell a refurbished phone from a new one?
    1) open the Phone application (dialpad)

2) enter the appropriate prefix then the code number below (For CDMA models you should enter ## before number the code, and for GSM models you have to enter #*) then dial

code=786 This the Phone Information Page. It tells you how many minutes the unit has on it, how much data has transpired, the warranty date, software versions, etc.

In other words, for Sprint CDMA (and I assume also Verizon CDMA) you open the phone app and dial "##786" then hit "dial" and it will tell you more than you want to know about your phone, including the "refurb status," hardware revision, PRL, etc.

It's educational.

BTW- I gleaned this code from the Treocentral forums a while back, there are a series of them. You can find more by searching for "hash codes," but this is basically the only one I find useful.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Great code to have, i filed it away for future use!
    Sprint tech support is a joke. P1 tells me to call Sprint Support after they say ear jack is broken for sure. I get the woman on the phone and she tells me that my phone is not under warranty but wants to transfer me to SPrint business so they can make final call on what to do. Click I am hung up on--what in the world. I guess I will go directly to the store but also will only accept a new phone with B not a Phone A! What a waste of an afternoon dealing with this issue.