1.    #1  
    Anyone notice a significant decrease in PCS Vision transfer speeds over the last 5 days or so? I can no longer stream 56K ShoutCast stations using pTunes without frequent buffering. And webpages are taking much longer to load.

I'm still receiving the same 2 bar signal strength and the phone works fine so I don't think it's hardware. I'm located in the Raleigh, NC, USA area.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    i have not noticed any difference.
    goto www.dslreports.com/mspeed and take the 600k test

you should get around 90-135.

mind you, the lesser the bar on sprint, the less the data speed. in my tests, with 1 bar, i get barely over 56k speed. try plugging it into an ac outlet/wall socket and run the test again. that should INCREASE the bars (if it can) because it tries to draw more power for the antenna since it's no longer on battery power.
    Quote Originally Posted by bheckel
    Anyone notice a significant decrease in PCS Vision transfer speeds over the last 5 days or so? I can no longer stream 56K ShoutCast stations using pTunes without frequent buffering. And webpages are taking much longer to load.

I'm still receiving the same 2 bar signal strength and the phone works fine so I don't think it's hardware. I'm located in the Raleigh, NC, USA area.
    No difference here in transfer speed, but I have noticed when loading a page in Blazer that the data triangle next to signal strength will turn from green to grey, and Blazer will stall. After a few seconds, it will go green again, and data transfer will resume.
    Last edited by Coffeeman; 09/18/2005 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling
  4.    #4  
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply.

The test showed a slow 24kb/sec.

I called Sprint and they were surprisingly helpful after transfering me on to a very knowledgeable data services employee. The bad news, for me, is that I probably have hardware trouble (I didn't realize the phone could be ok but not the data).
    Two more things you could try.

- Hard reset the phone. Be sure you have a successful Hotsync before clearing out memory. Hold down red power off button, press reset button, release power off button after Palm splash screen. Try dslreports.com/mspeed (before Hotsyncing a restore back).

- Update the Vision Profile. Dial ##DATA. Menu->Update Vision Profile.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  6.    #6  
    Gave both approaches a try (great ideas, thanks very much xenophonite) but my unit's data transmission is as slow as ever. Couldn't get a reading from dslreports.com, it just gave a dump of characters at the end of the test.

Nice to free up some RAM from the hard reset though, and the unit seems to load apps a bit faster now, at least.
    Yeah, sounds like a hardware problem.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    while it does seem like a hardware problem I also get random days of crappy service as you mnetioned. Every now and then I see a thread here about nthe same thing.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Friday I was having hecka trouble in the morning (Stanford, CA). Wasn't letting me do anything with vision. Later it worked though
  10.    #10  
    Update - the Sprint Store wasn't quite sure what to do, first they said they couldn't do anything, eventually they checked the signal strength and said everything was ok with my Treo. And no reports of bad service in my area.

So I guess I'll cancel the Vision plan. It's been more than a week with sub-dialup speeds (I hit 37kbps today, yipee). Anyway, thanks yet again for everyone's input.