Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hey everybody I was wondering who you would go with currently if you were getting a treo 650. I am currently with VZW and out of contract but I am on a Hawaii only plan but I am leaving for the mainland soon so I need to change plans thus entering a new contract. I also need to use my current phone as a replacement for my company phone. I'm pretty made up on getting a 650 but when I was down at the VZW store I was blown away by the data prices. I know that I will use the data ALOT as I use my slow wap browser on my v710 for info all the time. I really like Verizon and as a former employee I get 20% off of voice service but $45 a month is to much to pay for web that I can't use on my laptop as well.

So my dilema is should I jump ship? From perusing the posts here I gather sprint can give me what I want for much less. But VZW will give me a loyalty credit that puts the 650 @ 300 out the door but with 45 a month data the savings wont last.

If you were to go out and buy a 650 today or tomm who would you sign with?

On a side note on VZW store offered me a treo 600 for $200 or $150 after rebate. Is the 650 $150 better then the 600?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    There's no single "right" answer to your question. A lot of it will depend on where you are going to be and how the coverage for the various carriers is in that area. I have great coverage in DFW with VZW - even in stairwells and elevators. Your best bet on this is to talk to friends/family where you are headed and see what their experience is. If you are headed to an area where Sprint doesn't have good coverage, it won't matter how cheap their data plan is.

Something you could consider is the new Enfora WiFi sled. This is a long thread about it in the Accessories Forum. If you have a wireless router at home, you can top into your network there. WiFi isn't always convenient/available, but it's an option to consider.

As for 600 vs. 650, I faced the same decision. I opted for the 650 because of bluetooth and the better display.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Right, there's no easy answer. Go with the carrier that gives you the best coverage in the places you need the phone to work. If there anre multiple carriers that do that, look at price next. Of those three, Sprint will be the cheapest. Their data plans are super cheap, plus they have the free incoming plans from Nextel now.

Joe
    I have just switched from Cingular to VZW and I could not be happier. I did a lot of reading on this and I get so much clearer less choppy calls on the VZW than on my Cingular phone. I donít really understand it but even with FULL BARS on the gsm I get a poorer call. I called a lot of people and asked a lot of questions during the call. I made sure that I was in great coverage areas too. And I not talking about small market, but in LA. I have read in some forums that CDMA is clearer but I am not that technical.

I donít know if anyone else has tried all of this, but I am getting better coverage and also clearer calls - so for that I gave up $20 unlimited and 7pm nights - so I think you should just try and try and see.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I'm using Sprint.
    $35 Fair and Flexible 300+ mins.
    $10 PCS Vision Package
    $ 5 PCS to PCS
    -----
    $50 / month

I can use DUN and Bluetooth with my Powerbook to use the internet whenever I want. Internet Access is unlimited. Dropped calls has been really low, maybe one a month. As a former VZW user, you will get more signal in more places, but you pay more for it and you pay for the Internet Access. If access to the web is your main concern go Sprint. If excellent signal and supurb coverage is your main convern go Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbdaigo
    I have just switched from Cingular to VZW and I could not be happier. I did a lot of reading on this and I get so much clearer less choppy calls on the VZW than on my Cingular phone. I donít really understand it but even with FULL BARS on the gsm I get a poorer call.
    It has something to do with CDMA having better error correction methods and does not need as much signal strength for error correction compared to GSM. Something like that. Errors can occur even with a high signal strength.

As far as the question at hand, Verizon may have better customer service but high data cost.

Sprint has dirt cheap data, more towers than Verizon, appears to have poorer customer service. I only call customer service once or twice a year but use data daily.

Cingular has the broadest voice coverage but a hodge podge of differing technologies, which is a challenge for data. Cingular also has the highest rate of dropped calls according to JD Power, possibly due to less capable error correction.

http://www.jsonline.com/bym/news/aug05/351363.asp
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I had Verizon (here in Atlanta), but got a great deal on Cingular thru my job. My husband and I switched to Cingular. From the first day the coverage and quality was much poorer that what we had with Verizon. Dropped calls, "Cellular" calls, calls going straight to voice mail without ringing, etc. After 2 months we sucked up the cancellation fees and went back to Verizon. You might check out a new phone and data combined plan - brand new. We both have Treos (450 min for me and 4000 min for my hubby) and this saved us some money.
    I've gone thru them both... Currently I use Sprint mostly due to the fact that they are usually the first provider to release new phones like the Treo. In my experience (I live in the NYC/NJ area) Verizon's cell-coverage is significantly better than Sprint. Sprint's data service seems to be better and their pricing is certainly better than Verizon...
    Quote Originally Posted by themirage
    I'm using Sprint.
    $10 PCS Vision Package
    $ 5 PCS to PCS
    -----
    $50 / month

I can use DUN and Bluetooth with my Powerbook to use the internet whenever I want. Internet Access is unlimited. Dropped calls has been really low, maybe one a month. As a former VZW user, you will get more signal in more places, but you pay more for it and you pay for the Internet Access. If access to the web is your main concern go Sprint. If excellent signal and supurb coverage is your main convern go Verizon.
    and the $10 Vision Pack gives you access to the web via Blazer...not just special Sprint web sites??
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite

As far as the question at hand, Verizon may have better customer service but high data cost.

Sprint has ... more towers than Verizon, ...http://www.jsonline.com/bym/news/aug05/351363.asp
    everyone has made some good points.

But I feel it neceassary to point out that more towers for sprint is nothing but marketing BS. It means absolutley nothing. First off they can have the most towers in the world but if they arent where you plan to use your phone it means nothing. But more importantly, there have been several threads on this subject but sprint's ALL PCS 1900mhz service REQUIRES more towers to get the same coverage as an 800MHZ provider. Verizon and coingulair have a mixture of 800 and 1900mhz spectrum so it will vary by area. 800mhz not only propogates better over distances but also goes through building materials better. So all things being equal an 800mhz network would provide better indoor coverage. Now all things are not equal and in high density areas It's probably irrelevant but it's something to keep in mind for sure. So sprint NEEDS more towers then verizon and cingulair. (EVDO is another story 1900 vs 800 but the current treos cant EVDO)

I think all 3 have their merits. You really cant beat the sprint pricing and I think there coverage is "good enough" at least for me so if the price is way cheaper I didn't mind a couple dead spots. Verizon has slightly better coverage in the philly to NY corridor that i frequent and certianly inside buildings and it sounds like in many areas that's the case (but obviously that isn't a universal fact)- but you pay a bunch extra for their better coverage. Cingulair intrigues me with the gsm, in thoery you can use it anywhere on the planet basically that has a gsm provider, you have the most choices to roam (but that means nothing if the carriers dont allow it and many times they just plain dont allow it), and I actually have always wondered about the sim card and the flexibility you get with that- use your treo during the week, stick the sim card in a tiny phone for the weekends. But I have a friend with ATT now Cingulair and he says the coverage sucks so i dont know about that.
    ^As we've discussed many times, it goes both ways so evens out. 800mhz doesn't have as much voice capacity and lower bandwidth for data so Verizon has to have more 800mhz towers (or mix of 1900) for capacity reasons, Sprint has more towers for coverage.

Overall, Sprint has more towers (24K+) than Verizon (23K+) and Sprint is adding 14K more CDMA sites on Nextel sites.

But it will depend on market too. Verizon may have more towers than Sprint in NYC/NJ area. But probably not for long with the rollout of more CDMA on Nextel sites.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    do you work for sprint marketing? ;-)

Even assuming it cuts both ways- the number of towers means nothing really. They are 2 related but different things one is better at distance the other at capacity so it's very tough to compare raw numbers. If we knew if most towers are placed to cover more area or if its to provide more capacity maybe we could make a better judgement. Also it matters how many slices of the bandwidth you put on each tower. In some places verizon has BOTH 800 and 1900- they could be putting both on the same tower and getting the distance AND capacity. Cingulair is such a hodgepodge they might have 3 or 4 licenses in any one area so they can have 4 slices of the bandwidth on one tower. Cingulair might even have towers where the have both 800 mhz slots (att bough up mcgaw/cellular one/metro one which was the alternate carrier in many 800 mhz markets, cingulair is a combo of 2 rbocs which would have had the primary 800mhz in some of those markets) and 2 1900mhz(both cingulair before the merger and ATT had 1900 mhz licenses) slots- wouldnt that tower with 4 be more valuable then one from sprint with a single 1900mhz license (or even 2 if any of the qwest stuff overlapped)?

But the biggest point is if any of the carriers have 22thousand of their towers in places you'll never travel in life then who the hell cares? If you could show me stats for each provider in a particular geographic area and then tell me if their density between their 800 and 1900mhz assets and then tell me how many of those towers had only 1 license and how many had 2 or 3 or 4) and all the otehr factors involved then towers alone might mean something . But until then it's really tough to say what those numbers mean.

Maybe sprint has really saturated 4 or 5 markets and the rest stink? (i dont thing so at all but with nothing but gross tower numbers you cant prove that wrong)

I think the general consensus is that verizon's coverage is a hair better then sprint- if towers alone were the measure how could that be when sprint has a significant amount more? I think even many of sprints biggest fans (I'm a fan myslef- as I said above the coverage was good enough for me and the price cant generally be beat) wont usually argue that sprint has BETTER coverage then verizon. Economics will tell you Verizon couldnt exist without better coverage- they are priced way higher then sprint- if the coverage was equal then the market forces would move most people to sprint and verizon would die off.
    T-moble.... 1000 min plus free weekends and evenings... $40
    Unlimited Data........................................ $20
    Calls to Mexico for 5 cents a min................ priceless

Sprint has a better data plan and the higher frequency seems to penetrate building better... I would go with them for CDMA. Make sure they have good coverage in your area.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    ...and the higher frequency seems to penetrate building better...
    that's actually opposite of the physics involved. Lower frequencies travel further and go through stuff better (IF ALL THE OTHER VARIABLE ARE THE SAME).

few real world examples-

-satellite communications to submarines uses very low frequencies to reach the subs through all the water above them.
    - tv signals generally go through trees and even walls- higher frequency satellite TV signals dont do nearly as well. There's crazy distances and power levels etc, but a thick cloud or a tree with leaves is usually enough to stop a DBS signal.
    - VHF TV in general goes further with less power then UHF TV

That said- if sprint has it's 1900mhz tower next to your building and the competitors 800mhz tower is 5 miles away sprint Probably does just fine comparetively. So real world you really need to try in the areas where you will be using your phone all the time.
    Will the addition of the Nextel towers greatly improve Sprint's coverage quality?

I have Sprint here in southeast Texas, and I travel a good bit. Sprint sucks in my opinion- I get dropped calls frequently and many dead spots. Granted I may have something wrong with my phone as my wife's phone seems to not have as many issues.

I'm thinking of jumping to Verizon when my contract with Sprint runs out in March, but as I most definitely will jump to a Treo at that time the VZW data pricing has me almost thinking of staying with Sprint. I already pay $90 for cable/broadband, and I definitely don't want to shell out another $50 for something I won't use quite so much on a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon
    Will the addition of the Nextel towers greatly improve Sprint's coverage quality?

I have Sprint here in southeast Texas, and I travel a good bit. Sprint sucks in my opinion- I get dropped calls frequently and many dead spots. Granted I may have something wrong with my phone as my wife's phone seems to not have as many issues.

I'm thinking of jumping to Verizon when my contract with Sprint runs out in March, but as I most definitely will jump to a Treo at that time the VZW data pricing has me almost thinking of staying with Sprint. I already pay $90 for cable/broadband, and I definitely don't want to shell out another $50 for something I won't use quite so much on a phone.
    Go with Verizon. I have plans on both. My Treo is with Sprint tho.
    They have the worst customer service. As soon as my contract is up so am I. Unless you like being hung up on repeatedly, I wouldn't go there. Each time I call them for a concern(which has only been 4 times over almost 2 years) I have to call at least 8 times b/c reps hang up on you if they get confused or don't understand simple english. Verizon tries to keep you as a customer at all times.Sprint could care less.

Sweet Chi-Town Music!

300 > 600 > 650

CURRENT EQUIPMENT

TREO 650

Alternate Phone- Motorola Razr V3 (silver)
    Quote Originally Posted by themirage
    I'm using Sprint.
    $10 PCS Vision Package
    $ 5 PCS to PCS
    -----
    $50 / month
    So you actually pay $75 to $80 after taxes!
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I have the Sprint Free & Clear America plan, which includes FREE roaming. I almost never Roam off of the Sprint network, but when I do, I'm on a VZW tower. That being said, I have just as much 'coverage' as any VZW customer, but for much less $$$. I'll take Sprint any day.
    I'll agree- Sprint service sucks ***. One website I visited a while back had "Because we hate Clair as much as you do." on their site header. Hilarious.

If it means that I won't get nearly as many dropped calls and I won't have to deal with the maze that is Sprint's "customer service", Verizon it is.
    Just for grins, I googled "Sprint sucks" and "Verizon sucks".

"Sprint sucks" returned 962 hits
    "Sprint PCS sucks" returned 3,610 hits
    "Verizon sucks" returned 12,100 hits

Disclaimer: This study is not scientific. :-)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast