Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSam
    I have the Sprint Free & Clear America plan, which includes FREE roaming. I almost never Roam off of the Sprint network, but when I do, I'm on a VZW tower. That being said, I have just as much 'coverage' as any VZW customer, but for much less $$$. I'll take Sprint any day.

thats incorrect.

You are correct that you SHOULD be able to roam on any verizon tower. And vice versa.

The reality is that they block each other from certain towers- MOST in fact around where i live. I just recently switch from sprint to verizon. Both have a few dead spots in areas where i frequent. But they are differnt spots. And neither will roam on the other network in those spots even though i know the other carrier has perfect reception in that area.

It cuts both ways. Sprint wont always roam verizon, verizon wont alwaysroam sprint.

I cant figure if it's the phone not allowing it beacuse the carrier we pay wants to keep roaming fees down to the other provider and they assume their coverage is "good enough" or if the tower owner is limiting the roaming so they can have a competitive edge. I guess it might be a little of both.

If that wasn't the case, then verizon would probably go out of business since everyone could just go with sprint and free roaming and save a TON of money.
    I'm VERY happy with Sprint

great prices - solid coverage - great data speeds

go with Sprint and get the roaming package - that way, you can talk on any Verizon tower -- and I bet that the cost will still be significantly cheaper than any plan you might get with Verizon
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    I was with Verizon for 10 years, then left because of their lack of Bluetooth support. Because they crippled the V710 by eliminating OPP and OBEX, the V710 was worthless to me. I switched to Cingular, using an unlocked Treo 650. Cingular's firmware on the 650 was a little buggy for my taste, but when it worked, it was o.k. The main problems I had with Cingular were very poor coverage in my part of the World (Maryland & Delaware), and GSM's inability to penetrate my building. The other problem with Cingular that I had was their totally inaccurate billing. Even though I had unlimited data, I would routinely get bills from them with $1,200.00 data charges. Each time, the Cingular CSR would credit the error, but taking an hour each month to study their bill, then call customer service to have it fixed, got really old.

Finally, I switched to Sprint, with great reservation. To my surprise, Sprint's coverage in my area is as good or better than Verizon, their billing has been dead accurate, and their plans, especially data, are very reasonable. I am totally happy with Sprint, but as everyone has said, get what works for you. Take advantage of each carriers trial period, and test, test, test.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I am amazed by the number of 'cingulair sucked in my neck of the woods posts'. It's amazing to me that combining 2 big networks did little good to the end user. There's a big add for cingulair as you enter New York's Penn Station.

"expanded- now the largest digital voice and date network in america"- so what does that mean?

Just goes to show you that all the numbers and such that the marketing people throw around mean nothing in the real wold- you really need to try the carrier in your area and see if it works for you.
    "...expanded- now the largest digital voice and date network in america"- so what does that mean? ..." Efudd, allow me to join you in the Cynics' Corner.

I coined the term "preemptive advertisement" to describe these.

Never under estimate the gullibility of the vast majority. If you can't do it, just advertise you did. If you don't have it, just advertise you got the best. You will have enough believing you that is worth the $ for the ad. If not, at the very least, you brought time to do something about it.

I recall the business week article about Ford's quality problem many years ago weeks prior to the introduction of the first Tarus. They did nothing other then the ad champaign "Quality is job one" That was all Ford did to address their quality problem then. It was all that was necessary to make people associate quality with Ford. Can't say they lie - Job one. They didn't say they did job one did they?

Now, 10+ year later, who remember what they did or didn't do. Perhaps they did improve the quality, perhaps not. But I bet you remember the ad.

Caddi's SUV ad - best mileage in class (well, if you can find another SUV that is as ineffficient as this one, you got one in that class to compare with...)

Now, if I start on the political ads, I wont finish writing before the 2008 election.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd
    It's amazing to me that combining 2 big networks did little good to the end user.
    I just switched from Cingular to Verizon two days ago in Central KY. It's amazing the difference! My whole job depends on my ability to make phone calls and access the Internet on-the-go. With Cingular I consistently had dropped calls, had to hit the Send button half a dozen times to get the call to go thru, and don't even get me started on how often the signal would degrade to the point of me ending the call. Makes a nice impression with clients.

Anyway, Verizon has been awesome. Even with only one or two bars of signal, I can make clearer calls than I could with 3 or 4 Cingular bars. And even their 1X data service is a little faster than EDGE in my area, although EDGE should be faster.

Verizon may be a little more, but hey..... you get what you pay for.
    Matt Milano
    President
    Praevius, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLaw
    "...expanded- now the largest digital voice and date network in america"- so what does that mean? ..." Efudd, allow me to join you in the Cynics' Corner.

I coined the term "preemptive advertisement" to describe these.

Never under estimate the gullibility of the vast majority. If you can't do it, just advertise you did. If you don't have it, just advertise you got the best. You will have enough believing you that is worth the $ for the ad. If not, at the very least, you brought time to do something about it.

I recall the business week article about Ford's quality problem many years ago weeks prior to the introduction of the first Tarus. They did nothing other then the ad champaign "Quality is job one" That was all Ford did to address their quality problem then. It was all that was necessary to make people associate quality with Ford. Can't say they lie - Job one. They didn't say they did job one did they?

Now, 10+ year later, who remember what they did or didn't do. Perhaps they did improve the quality, perhaps not. But I bet you remember the ad.

Caddi's SUV ad - best mileage in class (well, if you can find another SUV that is as ineffficient as this one, you got one in that class to compare with...)

Now, if I start on the political ads, I wont finish writing before the 2008 election.
    This is totally wrong

The introduction of the Taurus in 1986 (more than 10 years ago!) came shorty after a massive corporate program on Quality was started throughout Ford Motor Company and its subsidiaries. It was not just an "ad campaign", NOT AT ALL. I worked for Ford Aerospace at the time and the "TQC" program (Total Quality Control) rained down on everyone. Among other things, we had to devise metrics to literally measure performance in every aspect of our jobs. Then report on that and results hit your bottom line during raise/review time. Pain in the rear but it worked after time.
    Last edited by ttrundle; 09/30/2005 at 08:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I have been with sprint for the past 5 years and I have been very happy. I like their plans and their prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by odog
    $45 a month is to much to pay for web that I can't use on my laptop as well.
    I don't think that's true - I think you *CAN* use the VZW treo650 as a modem for your laptop. That's the main requirement for whatever phone I upgrade to next month, as I frequenlty require internet access from middle-of-nowhere locations. I'm leaning towards the Treo and, from what I've read, PdaNet will allow you to use your 650 as a modem, as will a "DUN hack" I've read about.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong -- before I make a very expensive mistake.
    I have been with sprint for three years.

I could not be more frusterated when travelling. Coverage outside of where I live sucks.

The whole "all your services work wherever you go on our network" thing is a lie, and even then, their coverage is a joke.

Another huge thing that often bugs me is when i'm roaming i get no data.

prices with spritn just went WAAAYYY up, now it's like 40 bucks for the same package that used to be 10 dollars.

If you're going to go with someone- Verizon's got the best digital coverage in the US. GSM can roam internationally.
    Sprint...can roam on verizon...for calls only.
    I forgot to mention, that in general ,
    Sprint's customer care sucks...and the sales people are often clueless too.

And they have a really hard time of directing your calls. Gosh darn it i hate calling them, and at times i do it more than 20 tiems a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by wackochrisoidun
    And they have a really hard time of directing your calls. Gosh darn it i hate calling them, and at times i do it more than 20 tiems a week.
    20 times a week! I've been with VZW for 5 years, and I haven't had to call them 20 times total.

Sprint =

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    Quote Originally Posted by pheath
    20 times a week! I've been with VZW for 5 years, and I haven't had to call them 20 times total.

Sprint =
    Definately. Sprint is a dork.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd
    thats incorrect.

You are correct that you SHOULD be able to roam on any verizon tower. And vice versa.

The reality is that they block each other from certain towers- MOST in fact around where i live. I just recently switch from sprint to verizon. Both have a few dead spots in areas where i frequent. But they are differnt spots. And neither will roam on the other network in those spots even though i know the other carrier has perfect reception in that area.

It cuts both ways. Sprint wont always roam verizon, verizon wont alwaysroam sprint.

I cant figure if it's the phone not allowing it beacuse the carrier we pay wants to keep roaming fees down to the other provider and they assume their coverage is "good enough" or if the tower owner is limiting the roaming so they can have a competitive edge. I guess it might be a little of both.

If that wasn't the case, then verizon would probably go out of business since everyone could just go with sprint and free roaming and save a TON of money.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I have been with sprint for three years.

I could not be more frusterated when travelling. Coverage outside of where I live sucks.

The whole "all your services work wherever you go on our network" thing is a lie, and even then, their coverage is a joke.

Another huge thing that often bugs me is when i'm roaming i get no data.

prices with spritn just went WAAAYYY up, now it's like 40 bucks for the same package that used to be 10 dollars.

If you're going to go with someone- Verizon's got the best digital coverage in the US. GSM can roam internationally.
    Sprint...can roam on verizon...for calls only.
    ... ...
    It'll be fun.
    Definately. Sprint is a dork.
    ... ...
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ... ...
    Um yeaah. Have you checked their data prices now? To get the same vision package you used to be able to get for 10 bucks, is now 15 dollars for unlimited texting and i think 20-30 dollars for unlimited data using wireless web.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ... ...
    Yes. Sprint, is in fact, a dork.
    I havent had any trouble with sprint. Maybe if you paid your bill, you wouldnt have to call customer service so much. Just MO
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    I havent had any trouble with sprint. Maybe if you paid your bill, you wouldnt have to call customer service so much. Just MO

Ahaha funny! NOT!

I do pay my bill, I'm paying for 5000 mins a month plus vision, plus a bunch of extra crap.

It's usually because of technical questions because their network sucks, and basically likes to throw temper tantrums at the most inconvenient times imaginable.
    Currently using: Sprint Treo 650!!
    Palm Pilot - Palm V- Handspring Visor - Samsung i500 - Treo 600
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast