1.    #1  
    I have unlimited text messaging on my Sprint Treo 650, which Sprint charges me an extra $5 per month, for a total of $20 per month for flat unlimited data usage.

However, I just found out that when I text message my wife's Sprint cell phone, who does NOT have any text messaging/data plan service on her Samsung flip phone, she is being charged .10 cents for each message received. This charge is for *receiving* text messages, not for sending, which costs another .10 cents per message.

I had no idea there are charges to my wife's Sprint cell phone every time I text message her, regardless whether she replies back or not.

I find this unbelievable. I'm going to stop text messaging her, after I found this out from calling a Sprint rep. Also, I don't find it useful to add text messaging service on her phone for $10 a month, especially when her phone has no keyboard on it.
    i believe thats true. just add unlimited SMS to her account, $10 bucks more. *shrug*
    Hummm....did you even ask your wife if she wants text messaging? It's her phone she should be the one to decide.
    As far as I know all carriers charge for texting if you don't have some text plan. I have a family plan with 3 lines and pay $9.99 per phone each month for unlimited. On a slow month we only text 6,000 messages on a busy month we have gone over 15,000 messages. T-mo charges $.05 per message...you do the math, $30 a month is a steal!!! Also my daughter has a Moto V300 which has no keyboard and I'm sure she can text faster then you with a keyboard...having a phone without a keyboard does not matter. Just my $.02
  4.    #4  
    On a slow month we only text 6,000 messages on a busy month we have gone over 15,000 messages.

Holy moly! 6,000 text messages in a month...for a slow month?! Amazing.

You must have to replace the poor phones from broken buttons often! Hyuck, hyuck.

My wife is pretty much an "analog" person who prefers voice over data. She already objected to paying the extra $10 per month.
    i text around 10000 messages a month, inbound and outbound. i just added my gf onto my account, shes uses verizon, and we maxed out her accounts sms and then sum (overage charges suck)
    Moving to correct forum.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Quote Originally Posted by takmsdsm
    i text around 10000 messages a month, inbound and outbound. i just added my gf onto my account, shes uses verizon, and we maxed out her accounts sms and then sum (overage charges suck)
    Wow! 10,000 messages? I guess I'm older than I feel! I think I've sent two txt messages in my life and I'm not even sure they went through.

BTW, I do think the $.10 for each message received is criminal. If they are going to charge, they should give you the option of rejecting each message. I guess next time I'm feeling devious I'll setup a program on a computer to txt someone I don't like 10,000 times each day.
    luckily, sprint is one of the few carriers that offers unlimited text messaging.
    Hmmm... In Europe and Asia, recieving SMSs is always free. Same goes for incoming calls (except when you're roaming). Former AT&T didn't charge to recieve SMS. Now the only way to send for free is to do it via the web
    What's interesting is that Virgin Mobile has free incoming messages yet they use the Sprint network. It would be nice if Sprint had free incoming. I receive a lot but rarely send so signed up for unlimited.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery