Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000340056454

This is for high speed laptop cards. Sprint is expected to follow. Apparently Sprint will be offering $30/month unlimited for EVDO smartphones and most phones will allow DUN to laptop.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Treo 650 works with EVDO?
    Cingular had better get with it then..
    Verizon EVDO:
    -better coverae area
    -$60/ month for a laptop

Cingular UMTS:
    -smaller area than Verizon
    -$80/ month for laptop connect
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    hmmmmm....

that's getting to the point where i might just pick up a card to play with....
    Don't do it efudd! I regret it every day I have it . . . NOT!
    If only the PDA/Smarthphone Data and Bundle plans would see the same price cuts... It's a little absurd that customers with laptop cards can get EV-DO speeds for $60/month and Treo customers are paying $45/month for a significantly slower service. Furthermore, I still don't see why the PDA Voice/Data Bundles do not include discounts for all price-points ... why should customers using only 450 or 1350 minutes/month get a discount, when those using 900 or 2000 minutes/month still pay full price?

Verizon really does make some interesting marketing/pricing decisions. This is one that continues to baffle me...
    Quote Originally Posted by palminfo4mc
    Verizon really does make some interesting marketing/pricing decisions. This is one that continues to baffle me...
    I just think they want you to buy a PC data card . . . as a supplement to your slower Treo. That's not baffling at all. Their industry-topping customer retention rate and lowest customer churn rate seem to indicate they're doing something right.
  8.    #8  
    We've been using both Sprint/Verizon EVDO laptop cards. It's really great not to have to look for a WiFi hotspot as it's available across an entire metro. It was worth $80/month for those of us mobile depending on net access so $60 is icing on the cake.

BTW, I emailed our Sprint rep and asked if they're going to match. He said a new pricing model is coming Sept 1. Obviously they will have to match it.

A Treo EVDO phone is not coming until next year I'm told.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    What's the coverage like for the VZW EVDO- the maps look pretty full of gaps once you leave the immadiate suburbs?

Do the cards fall back to the 1x data rates seemlessly?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palminfo4mc
    If only the PDA/Smarthphone Data and Bundle plans would see the same price cuts... It's a little absurd that customers with laptop cards can get EV-DO speeds for $60/month and Treo customers are paying $45/month for a significantly slower service. Furthermore, I still don't see why the PDA Voice/Data Bundles do not include discounts for all price-points ... why should customers using only 450 or 1350 minutes/month get a discount, when those using 900 or 2000 minutes/month still pay full price?

it's pretty simple- even daffy duck could figure it out-

Their pricing is based on making then the most money not making the most customers happy...
  11.    #11  
    ^Yes, it falls to 1X if it loses EVDO. I thought it was NOT spec'd to uptick from 1X to EVDO but I've seen it go up as well.

Outer metro coverage probably depends on market. I tried both Verizon/Sprint is exurbs and both worked in some areas (Kansas City) under EVDO. Both will continue to activate more towers outward.

Sprint's EVDO unofficially works in many metros not on the official list. St. Louis is not on the metro-wdie list until October but I got it to work in W County and Downtown. Worked in Tampa too when I was there. But Verizon is officially released in more markets at this time. Both are claiming they will hit 100 largest markets and then Sprint claims they will eventually convert 100% of towers to EVDO as equipment prices drops. Verizon states that 75% of network will eventually go EVDO.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd
    What's the coverage like for the VZW EVDO- the maps look pretty full of gaps once you leave the immadiate suburbs?

Do the cards fall back to the 1x data rates seemlessly?
    In the cities I've visited with EVDO (home base is in DC), the coverage goes out pretty far (see locator at
    this link ). Denver goes from Cherry Creek to the south, nearly Golden in the west, Boulder to the north, and east of the Airport. Dallas covers all of Dallas and Fort Worth and goes NW past Denton (~ 1 hour drive from Dallas). DC goes from Fredericksburg in the south to Annapolis in the east to Baltimore in the NE to about 60 miles west of town. Las Vegas is a bit smaller, but it does go as far SE as Hoover Dam.

In short, it appears that Verizon EVDO coverage, barring any serious terrain limitations (Las Vegas), extends out a 60 mile radius from the centroid of their local EVDO service and blends together when more than one local service runs into others (New York). This coverage goes a bit further along the Interstates.
    Quote Originally Posted by batmon
    Treo 650 works with EVDO?

No, but the 700 probably will...

Anyway, I think $60/month is still to expensive! I'm curious to see how Sprint prices it's 1xEvDo services when it launched nationwide...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    What about for current customers paying the $80? WIll Verizon automatically lower our rates, or do we have to ask? (The optimist view) Or, more likely, or we screwed and stuck at the higher rate? (pessimest view)
    MadSuburbanDad
    Diary of a Mad Suburban Dad
    Selected "Best of MSN" Website
  15.    #15  
    I just saw a comercial this evening for "Verizon Wireless Broadband" (what they're calling EVDO) for $60 a month. They advertise how it's broadband speed everywhere unlike wifi which has hotspots you have to look for, etc, etc, blah blah blah. Good comercial actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd
    hmmmmm....
    that's getting to the point where i might just pick up a card to play with....
    I'm thinking the same thing myself.
    I recently got a Sony Ericsson EDGE PC card and got a line added on to my Cingular family talk plan and added the $20 MediaWorks plan to it. I got this as a dedicated SIM/line for the card so I wouldn't have to swap the SIM from my Treo to the card. Yes I could tether but the point was so I could use the card on the laptop without tying up my phone.
    I'm paying $30 for EDGE, and I'm not even supposed to be using that plan with a laptop card (they want $80 for the laptop plan.)
    I'd be better off playing $60 for EVDO. Better coverage, faster speed.
    If it were $50, I wouldn't hesitate. For some reason being $60 does make me hesitate though.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  17.    #17  
    I read that Verizon will require an active VZW phone account to get the $60/month rate. Sprint will apparently announce their rates/conditions on Thu, Sept 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000340056454

This is for high speed laptop cards. Sprint is expected to follow. Apparently Sprint will be offering $30/month unlimited for EVDO smartphones and most phones will allow DUN to laptop.
    Hmmmm.....

I called a Sprint data rep within the last hour. And according to the rep, Sprint will offer to long time customers in good standing a EVDO card for 219.00 bucks. He also said prices may come down further shortly.

This EVDO card will be in addition to differnt data plans. Currently, they offer a 80.00 dollar a month plan that is, according to the rep, is actually "unlimited". No limit on sucking those bytes in. Currently the Vision speed is at 145 KBS average. The EVDO speed will be at 300 to 500 KBS. Also, according to the rep, EVDO is being test marketed in specific areas right now. Also the EVDO card will work on non EVDO areas. EVDO is somthing to consider, since Vision is "unlimited" only to the phone.

As a side note: The Instep group has a fax program that will work on Treo series phones now. So I downloaded the file and installed the prc files on my 650 and gave it whirl. The recipient of the fax said the quality was outstanding. So I called Sprint and asked if they any charges that would apply to sending fax documents directly from the phone. They said they had no idea, as it never came up before. They also said they weren't sure if the fax was going out on a voice or data connection. I told the rep that the fax number I sent the fax to did not show up on the call log, so it must be going out on the data connection Also I could not send the fax out while on roaming. The conclusion the rep came up with, is if the fax goes out on the data connection, there would be no extra charges. If it goes out on the voice connection, there may be a 39 cent per minute charge.

The rep advised me to keep an eye on my bill to find out for sure.

Chuck
  19.    #19  
    That rep is behind the times. Sprint has officially rolled out EVDO in several markets. I've been using Sprint's EVDO since June. The conservative marketing speed for EVDO is 300-500Kbit/sec but I typically get 800K-1MB and peaks to 1.6MBits/sec. Bandwidth is great but latency is still not all that great, averaging 200-400ms (both Sprint/Verizon EVDO). The next release of EVDO will supposedly improve latency.

Sprint's new standard pricing will supposedly come out Sept 1, according to our rep, who is based out of the HQ.

According to our Verizon rep, $60/month EVDO rate requires a 2-year contract as well as a VZW phone account for consumers. At the business level, everything is negotiable in large contracts for all carriers of course.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Apparently Sprint will be offering $30/month unlimited for EVDO smartphones and most phones will allow DUN to laptop.

where did you hear or see this? i know there are rumors.. but
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast