1.    #1  
    Like many others here, I hate the reception issues and dropped calls (SF Bay Area) on my 650, even though I do love the PDA functions a lot.

To be fair, I'm coming from a Kyocera 7135 which had a fall back to analog when digital was weak...and I came to that from phones that were digital and analog.

Has anyone here got any experience with Verizon all digital PHONES and can you make comparison comments vis a vis the 650?

I'm so tired of the bad PHONE feature, I'm considering using the 650 as my PDA and getting a real phone for phone calls...sounds nuts, but no worse than a phone and a palm pilot...

thanks,

Tom O'Connell
    i have same problem except i cannot dial out when i am in Manhattan.
    At home 10 miles away is fine!
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    I thought it was going to be a problem for me in western ny. I am coming from a 7135. My wife has a digital only phone and my reception is comparable to hers.
  4. 320
    Tom -- I completely agree -- am planning to go buy the motorola e815 this afternoon and use my 650 as a pda. The 650 either drops or misses lots of calls and it's a real problem. Plus I've tried every type of case for it and none are reliable for wearing the phone on my belt and it's too big for my pocket so I'm going back to a real phone and probably will eventually buy a new palm pda or resurrect my old Tungsten C.
    HATE THE 650 PHONE QUALITIES!!!
    Cindy
  5.    #5  
    Cindy-

This is my first non tri-mode cell phone. I think that is the issue. At the Verizon store they admit that there are a number of plain phones that will perform better as a phone than the Treo as a phone.

My wife and I have had ours for about 2 months and she is going back to the old Motorola phone and Tungsten (or maybe a newer Palm) right now. I will see how well she does with the phone vs. me...I just am really dragging my heels at throwing in the towel since I spent so much time and $ setting up this treo...I guess I should also consider buying a used 7135 on ebay.'

thanks for confirming what I feel...I think we are either a small minority or everyone else is already used to crummy digital service.

cheers,

Tom O'Connell
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Don't go for a used 7135. Verizon will no longer activate them. I had one that quit on me and VZW sent me a 650 free to replace it. They will not activate a 7135 unless you already have one and are replacing it. IMO it is because there are too many ways around their data fees with them. They claim it is due to overwhelming technical issues with the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomoc
    Like many others here, I hate the reception issues and dropped calls (SF Bay Area) on my 650, even though I do love the PDA functions a lot...
    I'm in the same boat. I'm reticent to switch back to a regular phone for two reasons: The overriding reason I got a Treo was to consolidate to a single device; and I spent a good bit of money on accessories and software to get the Treo set up for my needs.

The primary place I have difficulties with reception is my house, where I never had problems earlier with a StarTAC (digital -- it never switched to analog). Not having a landline makes it a very frustrating situation. Does anyone have suggestions or experience with a passive repeater? (A powered repeater is looking prohibitively expensive at this point.)

Cheers.
    Visor Deluxe -> m125 -> Tungsten|T -> Treo 650 (CDMA)
    I've had three Treo650's and all have had terrible reception compared to my previous phone (StartTac 7868W) and all other phones in my building. Whenever I see someone using their phone I ask if they get good reception and no one has problems making calls or receiving calls except me. I'm about to get my 3rd replacement (4th 650 overall) but am not expecting better results.

I too am considering a new phone, maybe a Moto e815 paired up with a Palm T5, but I hate the idea of going back to two devices instead of one. I wish I knew what to tell you...or what to do myself!
    In my quest to get to the bottom of the reception problems with my Treo 650, I found this KB article on Palm's site. Granted, it relates to the T600, but I'm guessing the phone radio is similar or identical.

This got me wondering if the problems might be in part due to low voltage. I did a simple test from my office, where reception is poor (for every cell carrier, not just Verizon): Dialed voicemail and listened to saved messages, and moved my hand around the phone, including covering the antenna while using a BT headset. When on battery (fully charged), audio started to drop out when partially covering the phone with my hand. When the charge/sync cable was plugged in, though, audio was rock solid. (Keep in mind that the Treo battery is 4.2V, whereas a charger or USB cable will deliver 5V.)

Hmmm. This is not conclusive, though I wonder if others would give this a try from places where you have reception problems. I'm going to try this from home with a wired headset to take BT out of the equation, and also measure the battery's voltage.

Cheers.
    Last edited by XJCoupe; 09/08/2005 at 11:29 AM.
    Stop blaming the TREO650... It could be the carrier! I have Sprint and do not have the problems you all are having...
    Quote Originally Posted by XJCoupe
    I'm in the same boat. I'm reticent to switch back to a regular phone for two reasons: The overriding reason I got a Treo was to consolidate to a single device; and I spent a good bit of money on accessories and software to get the Treo set up for my needs.

The primary place I have difficulties with reception is my house, where I never had problems earlier with a StarTAC (digital -- it never switched to analog). Not having a landline makes it a very frustrating situation. Does anyone have suggestions or experience with a passive repeater? (A powered repeater is looking prohibitively expensive at this point.)

Cheers.
    VZW doesn't believe that you can use your phone at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizd4Life
    Stop blaming the TREO650... It could be the carrier! I have Sprint and do not have the problems you all are having...
    I am a long-time VzW customer and have used several phones on their network since the Bell Atlantic Mobile days. Before the T650 I used a StarTAC 7868W and never once dropped a call in my house, nor had any complaints from the other end about voice quality (exception: when in the basement). These are now daily problems for me. I like my Treo overall, but there is an unacceptable problem with reception. I don't yet know whether this is a problem with my specific unit, or lack of development on Palm's part -- or both.

If you reread my last post, you'll note that I'm trying to identify where the problem lies, rather than going on a tirade about what a piece of crap the T650 is. A search for my posts will reinforce that.

Cheers.
    For those experiencing reception problems - are you using a metal case? Numerous threads (and my own experience) indicate that is certainly a contributor to reduced signal strength.
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenorian
    For those experiencing reception problems - are you using a metal case? Numerous threads (and my own experience) indicate that is certainly a contributor to reduced signal strength.
    Good point. I have eGrips instead of a case.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Personally, I think the Treo (GSM & CDMA) has a very good antenna. It always holds up with the best antenna performers that are "regular" phones.

Joe