Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am a Sprint user. Data is my biggest thing as I don't travel much and probably use about 1000 minutes/month.

I am debating about switching to a GSM Carrier or staying with Sprint. Any suggestions. I am pretty happy with Sprint, but do not like there lack of phone selections. I would ideally like 2 phones which is why I am considering switching.

Any Advice?

TIA!
    i'd stay and wait till the next treo comes out and do another contract for the discount..sprint supposedly has the best data prices and with evdo just around the corner it'll be great.
    Same here, stay with Sprint. In the long run you'll save money on your data connections, plus you know you want the new Treo
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Please post questions about a carrier to one of the carrier forums.

/moved.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    If data is your highest priority, proabably stick with Sprint as it has the best rates - only $10-$15/month for unlimited net. Sprint will also soon exceed Verizon in coverage/capacity with the Nextel acquisition. Both Sprint/Verizon have 21K towers each but Sprint will be adding new cell sites to 14K Nextel towers, far exceeding Verizon. Cingular might have broader analog voice coverage but does not have broader digital/data coverage from what I hear.

Cingular is also way behind in next gen data. In fact, they are still rolling out last gen data, way behind Sprint/Verizon.

Data is available on 100% of Sprint's network. Edge is only available on a portion of Cingular's....

http://www.extremetech.com/slideshow...91&po=1,00.asp
    Last edited by xenophonite; 08/23/2005 at 01:37 PM.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Better the devil you know than the one you don't. IMHO. If you're happy with Sprint's service, are you really willing to take the risk of getting something worse.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I'd stay with Sprint, but I wouldn't sign a new contract. I've been out of contract with them for about two years.
    Stay with Sprint until the EVDO phone comes out. I'm pretty sure Sprint will still have the best data pricing, but I would wait until then to compare technology/pricing.
    Got Darts?
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tone
    I'd stay with Sprint, but I wouldn't sign a new contract. I've been out of contract with them for about two years.
    How come? You're throwing away free money on phone discounts/rebates.

Joe
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    In case you didn't know, the current Treo doesn't support EVDO. So, you won't be able to use it. As long as Sprint works where you want it to, stick with it.

Joe
  11.    #11  
    Thanks! I think Ill stay!
    Welcome Back!
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by triplespear
    Stay with Sprint until the EVDO phone comes out. I'm pretty sure Sprint will still have the best data pricing, but I would wait until then to compare technology/pricing.
    If I recall, Sprint's EVDO phone data rates are $30/month unlimited. You WILL be able to DUN to laptop on most phones, I'm told.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    How come? You're throwing away free money on phone discounts/rebates.

Joe
    Because the newer plans are more expensive than what I already pay. Look at my post # 33 in this link:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...593#post783593

At $20 a month whatever rebate or discount I would gain would be lost within a year. I'd rather pay full price for my phones or get them off of eBay.
    I thought that you could keep your grandfathered plan so long as you guaranteed them that you'd stay there for another 24 months. You can resign within 18....saving you $150 every year and a half.

I guess since it's a new contract, there might be new prices....but I've never really paid all that much attention. I did change to the fair and flexible plan and recently a rep changed my grandfathered vision to the pictures pack....all I asked for was for the $ per KB charges to be removed from the account since I had unlimited.

Just when I thought Sprint's CS was improving, they had to go and prove me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I thought that you could keep your grandfathered plan so long as you guaranteed them that you'd stay there for another 24 months. You can resign within 18....saving you $150 every year and a half.

I guess since it's a new contract, there might be new prices....but I've never really paid all that much attention. I did change to the fair and flexible plan and recently a rep changed my grandfathered vision to the pictures pack....all I asked for was for the $ per KB charges to be removed from the account since I had unlimited.

Just when I thought Sprint's CS was improving, they had to go and prove me wrong.
    To my knowledge when you sign a new contract it has to be for the currently-offered plans. If that's not the case then it would be a benefit for me to sign contracts. If not, I lose $$$

Perhaps other users could chime in to let us know.....
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    If I recall, Sprint's EVDO phone data rates are $30/month unlimited. You WILL be able to DUN to laptop on most phones, I'm told.
    $30 for "phone data?" Doesn't the "Vision Pack" enable you to have unlimited data anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tone
    To my knowledge when you sign a new contract it has to be for the currently-offered plans. If that's not the case then it would be a benefit for me to sign contracts. If not, I lose $$$

Perhaps other users could chime in to let us know.....
    I'm fairly certain that you're just agreeing not to leave...not RE-negotiate your plan. But I'd definitely like to hear others' sides of this story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist
    $30 for "phone data?" Doesn't the "Vision Pack" enable you to have unlimited data anyway?
    Vision...at least as most people know it today...is not EVDO. His comment was in regards to a network that's 10 times faster than the first revision of 1xRTT.

I do hope that EVDO prices aren't higher than $30.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgnyc11
    I am a Sprint user. Data is my biggest thing as I don't travel much and probably use about 1000 minutes/month.

I am debating about switching to a GSM Carrier or staying with Sprint. Any suggestions. I am pretty happy with Sprint, but do not like there lack of phone selections. I would ideally like 2 phones which is why I am considering switching.

Any Advice?

TIA!
    I think it depends on your needs and provider's coverage. I used to have Sprint and I've never had any complaint with their services and coverage when I was with them (and their internet is so cheap). I switched to Cingular (GSM) because starting this year I might need to stay for several weeks in a southeast asian country in a year, so I need a phone where you can use local sim card. Also I need to have phone that can do international text messaging to several countries, and some of those countries are not listed in Sprint list (Sprint only lists 19 countries).
    I dont choose the other GSM, T-mobile, because my wife had it and the coverage sucks in my area.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast