1.    #1  
    The Earthlink Treo 650??? It can be purchased for $299.00 w/o contract if you look hard enough. This is GREAT, but I want mine to work on Verizon... How come there isn't more talk about how to get these phones converted, or if it's possible. I've searched all over a few different sites and still don't have a clear answer as to whether or not it can be converted or not. Can anybody help? Does anybody care? You all have your Treos so this is worthless info?? Can anybody give me some clear cut info on whether or not you can use an Earthlink phone on Verizon? Thanks
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Can I have a link to get it for 299 w/o contract?
    Thanks.
    http://www.earthlink.net/wireless/treo/pricing/
    Read the fine print at the bottom. It says $600 - $300 instant rebate at purchase. Then there's a $100 credit for activation. Maybe he thinks this means you can get it and just not activate it.
    But read further and it does say "Offer requires a 24-month term commitment, otherwise a $175 early termination fee applies." So at least on the Earthlink site you do have to sign a 2 year contract.

Perhaps Buddha found it for $300 somewhere else?
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk
    Can I have a link to get it for 299 w/o contract?
    Thanks.
    You can buy it for $300 out the door from OfficeMax. Get a $100 rebate when signing up with Earhlink. Cheaper data rates than Verizon. Competitive voice rates. Only requires one year contract. I bought it but am not worried about converting to Verizon. Earthlink gives me more for less.
    Hell, even $475 ($300 + $175 ETF) brand new isn't bad. But Earthlink is CDMA so it's no use to a bunch of us.
  6.    #6  
    Yeah officmax... So do we know if it's possible to get it to work on Verizon?
  7.    #7  
    It is definitely CDMA only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    It is definitely CDMA only.
    It's Sprint. Earthlink leases Sprint service....then rebrands it as their own.
  9.    #9  
    I read they also use verizon and depending on where you are your primary service provider will either be sprint or verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    I read they also use verizon and depending on where you are your primary service provider will either be sprint or verizon.
    Hmm, interesting. I'd like to see a source for that (not that I doubt you, but I'm curious). I'm with Sprint presently, but if I could get an Earthlink 650 with the low pricing and Verizon coverage, I might jump ship (been out of contract with Sprint for over a year).
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    Hmm, interesting. I'd like to see a source for that (not that I doubt you, but I'm curious).
    This has been discussed various times on the board.
    Earthlink has contracts with Sprint and Verizon. The Treo650's are set up on the Sprint network and roam (though roaming is free) on the Verizon network.
    Most of the talk on this is in the CDMA area:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=87973

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by pheath
    Most of the talk on this is in the CDMA area:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=87973
    That thread doesn't really give me a concrete answer. I know there are a couple of gurus here that can give a definitive answer whether or not these phones can be converted.
    CDMA treo's have been converted - I have read this on this board. However the phones have ESN's that are embedded in the phone. So even if you "convert" the phone by changing its firmware and software the carriers may refuse to allow it on their plan. For example sprint never allows a phone that was not purchased as a "sprint" phone to be registered on its network. Virgin moble phones are on the sprint network, yet if you buy one you cannot use it with a sprint plan.

Verizon has on occasion allowed other phones on its plans. I would suspect that if they have agreements with earthlink that they won't allow use of earthlink ESN's on their plans.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrenner
    CDMA treo's have been converted - I have read this on this board. However the phones have ESN's that are embedded in the phone. So even if you "convert" the phone by changing its firmware and software the carriers may refuse to allow it on their plan. For example sprint never allows a phone that was not purchased as a "sprint" phone to be registered on its network. Virgin moble phones are on the sprint network, yet if you buy one you cannot use it with a sprint plan.

Verizon has on occasion allowed other phones on its plans. I would suspect that if they have agreements with earthlink that they won't allow use of earthlink ESN's on their plans.
    Thank you, this makes a great deal of sense.