Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Anyone know how exactly the data plan works for Verizon? In other words if I have the 20mb plan and use chattermail, am i only using kb when i download mail. in other words if i stay connected with the two arrow things by my signal meter am i using data, or no? do i need to disconnect from chatter to save data space/time? thanks
    If you are going to have a persistant network connection, you need the unlimited data plan. Otherwise, just check your email and disconnect.
    What gapost said. Verizon has incredibly crappy data plans...far too expensive
    I have VW and the Unlimited data plan. After 6 days of regular emails and very little surfing I exceeded my MB's and even got hit with an overage charge and paid the difference until the unlimited started. Anyway to rip us off!! No doubt go unlimited b/c the fees are out of control.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    If you are going to have a persistant network connection, you need the unlimited data plan. Otherwise, just check your email and disconnect.
    I spoke to a Verizon rep in the store yesterday and he said that the only way to disconnect from the web is to take the battery out. I called a rep on the phone today, asked the same question and got the same response.

Is this true or are they just uninformed...because that's the only thing stopping me from getting the 650.

Mikey/
    Quote Originally Posted by pookeymp
    I spoke to a Verizon rep in the store yesterday and he said that the only way to disconnect from the web is to take the battery out. I called a rep on the phone today, asked the same question and got the same response.

Is this true or are they just uninformed...because that's the only thing stopping me from getting the 650.

Mikey/
    You guys are getting ripped off. Go w/Sprint..$10 unlimited internet!
    Please post carrier questions to one of the carrier forums.

/moved
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Quote Originally Posted by pookeymp

Mikey/
    That is BS. I've had a VZW 650 for 3 months and have gone on the Net and manually disconnected.
    I've never had a billing issue.
    ALWAYS manually disconnect and you will NOT have any data billing problems.
    Agree with patchs. I manually disconnect and have had no suprises at all.

Manually disconnect and you will be fine.....UNLESS you have a program that connects automatically.

This is where many of the horror stories are coming from because people have thier email programs set to check mail every 30 seconds then wonder why the data usage is high.

Also, if you're still concerned, you can dial #DATA and a txt message will be immediately sent to your Treo showing your data usage (although there is a slight time delay).

-jeff
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Very cool...thanks guys...that makes much more sense than what the reps were telling me. I'm gonna head back over to Verizon and pick it up.

Mikey/
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone-Ike
    Agree with patchs. I manually disconnect and have had no suprises at all.

Manually disconnect and you will be fine.....UNLESS you have a program that connects automatically.

This is where many of the horror stories are coming from because people have thier email programs set to check mail every 30 seconds then wonder why the data usage is high.

Also, if you're still concerned, you can dial #DATA and a txt message will be immediately sent to your Treo showing your data usage (although there is a slight time delay).

-jeff
    I was hit with a huge cell phone bill from Verizon. Apparently I was still connected to their data network after sending a pix message. Is what you're saying, the answer to my problem? How do I manually disconnect?
    Unfortunately their data info is usually a few days old.
    Quote Originally Posted by adrock
    How do I manually disconnect?
    I always go to the web and hit the menu button, then scroll to options/disconnect. I know that sounds like a lot, but it assures me I'm disconnected and only takes a few seconds. I even have unlimited data but I'm worried about missing a call when connected.
    I was hit with a huge cell phone bill from Verizon. Apparently I was still connected to their data network after sending a pix message. Is what you're saying, the answer to my problem? How do I manually disconnect?
    You can manually disconnect throught blazer as posted by RickMG. You can also go into Preferences>Network and disconnect there.

Sorry to hear about your big bill - sounds like a technical mishap on VZW's end. I'm simply trying to dismiss the all-to-common myth that the Treo, in and of itself, will just randomly connect to the data network when not connected, causing astronomical bills.

As RickMG said, manually disconnecting really only takes a couple of extra seconds to insure all is well.

-jeff
    -jeff

Verizon's MMS/SMS doesn't count towards data usage, so you might want to look into this further.

I bought the Treo a few weeks back, didn't install any new programs or use the web for the first two days. Called Verizon on the third day, they confirmed there was no data usage. I installed Chattermail that day, have it set to check every 30 minutes, and in the first week used about 6MB through Chattermail. After that I started normal web use.

I did this because 1. I'd heard rumors about the "automatic connection" and 2. I wanted to figure out if I needed the unlimited plan. What I learned: the treo won't connect to the internet until you run/install a program that connects, and throw in a little web use and I'd burn right through their data options.

If you want to make sure you're disconnected, go to "Prefs" from the main screen, and then "Network." There will be three buttons at the bottom (Done, Details, and Connect or Disconnect depending).

If you want to make sure the Treo *never* connects to the web, you can also add a "phantom network" while you're on this page. Click the menu button and select "New." Create a network called "Empty" or something like that. Leave this selected as your network, and if the Treo tries to connect, it will try to connect to "Empty" instead of the Verizon network.
    Quote Originally Posted by wantsatreo
    Verizon's MMS/SMS doesn't count towards data usage, so you might want to look into this further.
    I dont know where you got your info from? I spoke to several CS reps, and a Tech rep. They all told me the Treo 600 uses data for MMS, but not SMS. I've even checked my data totals after sending a picture. It always adds about 30kb to my data usage. I wish you were right.... but I dont think you are.
    I believe, after checking my data totals after sending quite a few photos this weekend, my data usage info also reflects the kb's used to send the photos via MMS.

Seems as though I just read a thread on this here recently and someone said VZW would issue a credit if necessary due to this, which they should.

I'm paying extra for 50 pix messages per month, and just setup a web photo-sharing page, so if it ever causes me to go over on my data, I'll be making a phone call for an adjustment.

-jeff
    -jeff

I just think its BS that Verizon charges me $5 for unlimited pix and txt messages... but then forces me to pay for Data use. I'm being charged twice to send pix. Its $0.15 a KB!! on the pay as you go plan. One or two pix costs me $9!!! I'm forced to get a data plan.... basically....
    I was credited $850 before I knew about MMS data use... I doubt they'll credit me anything again though. Data use is data use... what can I do... F'n bastards