Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    The beginning of the story is here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...0&postcount=20

I made an appointment with the manager, but he was at lunch when I arrived. A young woman insisted on helping me after a 15 to 20 minute wait, but when she got to the part about exchanging the phone, she went for Richard, the manager. Who was argumentative and still didn't know what was wrong with the phone.

I became frustrated when he started to take my phone to the back to be checked. I had waited over 20 minutes for it to be tested 36 hours before. I explained that I had been treated badly before, that I had tried the CS route, that I had made an appointment and driven the 45 miles to get here, already been in the store over 30 minutes, most of it waiting, all of it standing.

He insisted that the machine must be tested again and he couldn't do anything else. Then he said he wouldn't do anything else. I shaking and was about to cry (which I don't do in public) or make a scene ( I didn't think I did that, either), so I left the store, but returned minutes later. By then, I was more mad than frustrated and didn't care anymore about a scene. You can assume that I spoke in a voice that was less than quiet, although I was polite.

By then he had found the record of the previous test, said that the contact was broken, so I had to pay the $50 "deductible" and wait for insurance.

He refused to give me his supervisor's name and number. He spent minutes arguing that if I was going to interupt (which, I'll admit to: "no" everytime he said I had to pay, wait for reimbursement and the phone - and come back - he never gave an inch on that.)

At first, he refused to contact a supervisor - denied there was anyone, except a supervisor who was off that day, but said I could come back tomorrow to speak to him or I could call the store. Eventually, he gave me Manuel Ruiz' name. A little later, he gave me Mr. Ruiz' card, with phone number and email address. I called, paged and left a voice message and then typed out an email on the treo. I spent a few minutes asking others if they had to wait so long, told my story if they were half way nice, and asked where the posters for the regulatory agencies were posted. (There were none, but Richard wrote a number on a post-it)

30 minutes later I called Mr Ruiz again.

I heard at least one of the reps talking about "she could have the phone if she'd pay the insurance" to someone on the phone.

Then I got a text message to call a number (He couldn't call me???)

I called and essentially learned that Mr. Ruiz must have trained Richard:same argumentative way, no budging on "I have to follow the rules. I cannot do anything else. I will not do anything else." (and I'm convinced that he was in the store: I could hear the overhead speakers through the phone as though he were in the room.)

I couldn't keep it up. When he agreed to pay the $50 and have a phone at the store on Saturday I agreed. (I'd been there over 3 hours)

So no money, phone replaced, but I left without a replacement and have to do the 90 mile round trip again.

I did get Manuel's supervisor's name and number. And learned that he believes that I couldn't have learned a thing from this board, because no one here works for Sprint or has any idea about what he can or cannot do.

I'll email him the link.
    Wow. Congrats on staying somewhat calm. I might have lost it a few minutes in to the conversation and made an a** out of myself. Heck, I've been struggling to keep my cool at times during my attempts to upgrade my phone at a reasonable price as an existing customer.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Thanks, therf.

I have never figured out the "you must be wrong and admit it in order for me to be right" personality.
    Quote Originally Posted by therf
    Wow. Congrats on staying somewhat calm. I might have lost it a few minutes in to the conversation and made an a** out of myself. Heck, I've been struggling to keep my cool at times during my attempts to upgrade my phone at a reasonable price as an existing customer.
    Sprint is awful about upgrading phones. I have been a customer with 5 phones on a family plan (over 4 years), and they would only offer me $75 off of list price for each phone. Much higher price then they would give to a new customer. I may end up switching to Cingular. At least I can get phones cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by hocndoc
    Thanks, therf.

I have never figured out the "you must be wrong and admit it in order for me to be right" personality.
    As a last resort you can file a complaint with the FCC. I have done this in the past when I encountered problems with AT&T. It took a couple of months, but I ended up getting more than I initially asked for. Their website is www.fcc.gov.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Thanks, justleft, I am considering notifying the Texas Public Utilities Commission and/or the Attorney General because of the prolonged refusal to give me the name of the supervisor, as well as the misrepresentation of the assistant manager as the manager.

And I have emailed the boards of directors of both Sprint and Nextel. I also plan to call Mr. Ruiz' supervisor this afternoon. (left store at nearly 5 yesterday and had a granddaughter's doctor appt this morning. We just got back.

The old me (pre-yesterday's frustration) would have left the store in wimpyness, as I had before. And never have even spoken to the manager or demanded last names and business cards.

Everybody has their limits, I guess. But, I don't want this to consume too much of my life - maybe use up a little of their time to fix it, though.
    I don't understand, if there was nothing wrong with the phone physically, wouldn't they have to fix/replace it for $10?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    The tech says that a contact in the card reader is broken - which I believe, since the reader didn't work the day I came home.

I paid $10 (plus 3 years monthly insurance) to get this phone. I don't believe I should have to pay again.

See this note:http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...0&postcount=20

I've been in several times since I got the phone, but they kept saying come back with the filler card, then come back with the SD card, etc.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Saturday I went in and got a brand new 600, with the owner's manual and CD. It was a long trip, and I was nearly sick with dred of going back to that store. The woman I was told to speak to was busy, so I got to wait and then tell my story again. My name was on the box for a 650 - I had a real ambivalence about that, since it would mean all new accessories. But, the young man looked very puzzled and checked with the woman I was supposed to meet, and brought back the 600.

I'm happy with the phone. I'm convinced that the screen is even better than the refurbished model I had. And I've listened to my Audible on the SD card in the phone while my husband shopped this afternoon.

But, still no apology for rudeness, delay, misrepresentation about the assistant manager and refusal to refer me to a supervisor. I'm out minutes from the calls to the manager in the store on Thursday and all those trips to the store.