Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    got this from another forum I go to so credit goes to Brian M over at anandtech....link

Here's the reason:

Verizon is adding a $0.40 “Administration Fee” to all accounts, starting as of October 1. Due to this new fee, Verizon customers have 60 days to cancel their service without having to pay the $175 or more early cancelation feee. This is the exact quote from the Verizon Customer Agreement stating this.

quote:

Our Rights To Make Changes
    Your service is subject to our business policies, practices, and procedures, which we can change without notice. UNLESS OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY LAW, WE CAN ALSO CHANGE PRICES AND ANY OTHER CONDITIONS IN THIS AGREEMENT AT ANY TIME BY SENDING YOU WRITTEN NOTICE PRIOR TO THE BILLING PERIOD IN WHICH THE CHANGES WOULD GO INTO EFFECT. IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE YOUR SERVICE AFTER THAT POINT, YOU'RE ACCEPTING THE CHANGES. IF THE CHANGES HAVE A MATERIAL ADVERSE EFFECT ON YOU, HOWEVER, YOU CAN END THE AFFECTED SERVICE, WITHOUT ANY EARLY TERMINATION FEE, JUST BY CALLING US WITHIN 60 DAYS AFTER WE SEND NOTICE OF THE CHANGE.

Verizon Customer Agreement. So, check your statement the next two months and once the new fee takes effect you have 60 days to cancel your contract while avoiding the early cancellation fee.

Here's what this means to us:

If you're a Verizon subscriber, you can get out of your contract free. This is awesome for people who are unhappy with their service and want to switch carriers. Or, it will allow you to sign a new contract with another carrier, port your number, and get a good deal on a free phone. Either way this is hot.

Remember that this only avoids the Verizon Early Cancelation Fee, but if you received a free Verizon phone or discounted phone you may be obligated to pay a fee for canceling. This is due to the commision money they receive from your monthly service.
    Has anyone actually accomplished this. I was reading on the forum and only 1 so far claimed they did.
    Even if this is true, you'll spend so much of your time getting it done (imagine telling a minimum wage CSR slave that they HAVE to let you out of your contract because of a .40˘ fee!) that in the grand time/money ratio it would be cheaper to PAY to get out.
    That's got to be a new record in the "hare-brained" schemes department.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Just got off the phone with a Verizon Wireless CSR and he (Leroy) Did confirm that they will be charging an additional 40 cent admin fee starting in October. He also said that if you want to opt-out all you need to do is call them to cancel. Hope this helps?!
    There's a very long thread on fatwallet.com about this. The $.40 charge isn't the only change. Apparently it's a 5x increase in SMS fees and taking away holidays as weekends. Lots of people have been able to get out. And this isn't about $.40, it's about consumer rights, honestly. Large corporations should not be allowed to change terms of service without consequences. Even though I'm happy with Cingular, I'd cancel my contract with them immediately if they changed the TOS on me.
    That is exactly what I am in the process of doing. I called up VZW and told them to put a note on my account waiving the ETF because of a breach of contract. At first the CSR said they are allowed to change prices in the agreement. I went on and told her that in the same agreement, I am able to cancel within 60 days of notification without ETF. After a few minutes on hold, she said I can cancel. I told her just put a note down so I don't have to go through this again. She puts it down and reminds me I have 60 days / until Oct 1st to cancel.

I am planning on getting the TREO 650 from Costco. The cost will be 319.99 which seems like the best deal out there. I only have to worry about $35 rebate. It comes with 1 year free voice command, earbuds, car charger, case, free service activation credit.
    Thanks for the info!
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Any chance they'll switch me/us to month-to-month?
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    wishman....are you sure Costco is offering the 650?
    Yes I am sure. Only some costco's have it. The one I am planning on getting it doesn't have any left but will call me once they have it in stock again. They said hopefully within the week.
    I don't think it is Costco that is selling it but it's the kiosk in Costco that is selling it. The company name is Wireless Advocates, www.wirelessadvocates.com. It looks like they have exclusive rights to sell wireless phones within Costco. They only deal with new activations.
    Which carrier are you moving to?
    Sprint
    Verizon is great for voice service, but if you have a Treo Sprint is way better than Verizon. Now, if you want to have fairly good voice and data then Cingular is the way to go.

Al
    hello everyone... ive actually been a long time lurker... but this basically was a breakthrough for me... ive been wanting to get the treo 650 for awhile and well the data plan of verizon was just killer.. that and i dont have reception for it at my job... i tried this.. they put me on hold for awhile but it WORKED!!! they are just going to send me a final bill of the minutes i used now... but im going to a sprint store tomorrow to get a treo 650!!! thank you kermalou for this thread!!!
    For those of you that are interested go to slickdeals.net and search the hot deals forum for verizon. There is like 30 pages of disscussion on this. Many have accomplished this. Some got a response from Verizon that they would credit the .40 cents for however long your contract was. Do not fall for this. You have the right to cancel due to the fee. I want to go to Sprint due to the Vision being unlimited instead of Verizon's $45.00 unlimited plan. Unfortunately my gf needs bluetooth in the car andSprint is limited on good bluetooth phones at the moment . Hoipefully a good phone will come out before the deadline to cancel the contract.
    You can get a Treo650 from Earthlink for $200...and you only have to sign up for a 1 year contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    You can get a Treo650 from Earthlink for $200...and you only have to sign up for a 1 year contract.
    Unfortunately ulimited data is $30/month...

http://www.earthlink.net/wireless/treo/pricing/
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Unfortunately ulimited data is $30/month...

http://www.earthlink.net/wireless/treo/pricing/
    Yeah, but that is still $15 less than Verizon.
    I heard the service was kind of crappy though. I think they contract through Sptrint to be honest. Can someone take these Verizon handcuffs off of me and set me free
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    I'm seriously thinking of dropping Verizon and going with Sprint, especially now that Sprint has all incoming calls free!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast