1.    #1  
    Looking for some advice. I have been a sprint customer for about 6 yrs with a family/shared plan. Currently have 2 mos remaining on contract incurred when updating my plan. I'm looking to get a 650 for myself & a i500 or something lighter ($$ wise) for the wife. So far the best sprint has offered me via phone & in store is exactly what they have on their website. I'd like to think I have a little negotiating power with the ability to walk in 2 mos but it sure doesn't seem that way.

Any advice on how to get a better deal? Do the phone reps actually have the power to cut deals? I know the last time I called for a different question they offered my a 5% customer loyalty discount in return for a 2 yr contract.

Sidenote: This whole thing seems like a bunch of bs, they won't even give a the full $150 rebate on a new phone because I haven't had my current phone activated for long enough (purchased on ebay).
    You can try going through the customer retention dept. Someone posted the phone # here a few days ago. I can't remember it, but try a search. You might get lucky.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

3.    #3  
    Ok, tried Sprint again. They said they couldn't do anything for me. I also called a 3 local SprintPCS stores to see if they would price match against the OfficeMax $199 price (Earthlink) and got different answers from each store as to why they would not match.

Store #1 - it had to be through best buy, or radio shack, a "SprintPCS" reseller and they definitely would NOT match the advertised price of other carriers.
    Store #2 - i had to have an advertisement from the store -- not printed from the web -- even though i told her i could walk in the store and purchase the phone.
    Store #3 - if i was a new customer they would match, but not an existing customer

I even asked the rep about terminating my service to get a better deal elsewhere and he didn't budge.

Too bad there isn't a holding area type of place I could transfer my number after my contract is up, sort of park it, and then reactivate as a new customer and transfer my number back.
    The phone number for customer retention is in here somewhere, but I'm not gonna look it up for you.
    They have the authority to get you where you want to go.
    A tekkie in a store can't do squat.

As for the number parking thing, Great idea! I sense a huge business op. here for the right individual. Sort of Number insurance. $$$

Thread Crapper

I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

5.    #5  
    I'm trying to track down that number. So far both number i have found in the forums listed for retention are no longer in service.
    Good Luck With That...

I am in the exact situation and have been trying to upgrade my Treo 600, unfortunately I have been getting the same response from Sprint. They have offered me a $75 upgrade discount (which anyone can get after 18 months). I have probably called about 10 different times, and each time get the same response.

So when my contract is up in September, I'll probably leave Sprint since they are unwilling to compromise to retain a customer that has been in good-standing for 3+ years. All I wanted was the price a new customer would pay for a 650.

I guess they would rather lose a good customer and about $1500 in revenue over the next two years than offer me a reasonable discount on a new phone.
    Last edited by rventuri; 08/17/2005 at 09:33 AM.
  7.    #7  
    It does seem crazy that they would be willing to lose an existing customer. I know we (my wife & I) aren't big customers (we typically pay about $100/mo), but for $200 or so they could have me locked into another 2 yr committment. Even bigger nonsense is that I had to sign a 1 yr contract to upgrade my plan last year. I had been overpaying with an antiquated plan for a number of years and finally got off of my lazy a** and made the call. Anyways, sorry for the rant, this whole thing has me pretty aggravated (especially since I dropped my phone in Lake Michigan over the weekend and have no choice but to get a new phone now).

Thread Crapper

We were lucky. Got one T650 for the wife using insurance for a damaged T300. Got mine from a Costco in HI that still had actual Sprint sales reps so the cost was reasonable. Got the $150 new for you rebate for both phones. I doubt you could ever get them to match the OfficeMax/Earthlink deal but you might get some accommodation from retention. Otherwise "parking" your number with another carrier and using a cheap phone for a while might be worth it. Depends on how badly you want the T650.
  10.    #10  
    I actually found that post and tried all of those numbers. Unfortunately none of them worked for me (all disconnected).

I did have a bit of a breakthrough with a customer service rep this morning. She offered to give me the full $150 rebate for any phone purchase, add 300 anytime minutes to my paln and cut my bill by $10/month.

So that would mean I get 1000 anytime with unlimited n&w for $60 (shared). Not including any data services i have to add.

Basically I'd save $240 over the length of the contract.
    Last edited by therf; 08/17/2005 at 10:36 AM.
    See what a little polite insistance can do? Great.

I'll bet if you stand firm, you might even get a little more.

Think of it this way, It is retention's job to offer these little extras to keep you. Thats the reason the dept exist. Ironically, in that department, the more they give you to stay, the better review they'll get from their boss for keeping customers satisfied. So they WANT you to be happy.

Just make sure to READ and UNDERSTAND any contracts BEFORE signing them, when you re-up.

Thread Crapper

This weekend, CompUSA advertised a Sprint T650 for $299 after rebates. Normally I would expect the usual new activation required footnotes but they aren't there. Might be worth a shot but the plan modification offer you got from Spint sounds pretty good as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelivesoundguy
    As for the number parking thing, Great idea! I sense a huge business op. here for the right individual. Sort of Number insurance. $$$
    I hate to quote myself, but this idea has really facinated me.
    I don't have the necessary background to do this, but imagine a business with probably very little overhead, where people pay you a monthly fee, just to "Hold" a phone number for them. Does this not have possibillities?

Oh well, I can at least be a witness for you when someone steals your idea and runs with it. One of the existing carriers may even already have this as an option, but I'm unaware of it if they do.

Thread Crapper

"Retention" as a seperate department of Sprint Customer Service no longer exists. There are Reps that are trained in Retention issues, but they also do regular rep work. You can ask for someone that can handle a retention issue and but, problem is, there is no way of telling if who you are talking to really knows retention or not.
    "Retention" as a seperate department of Sprint Customer Service no longer exists. There are Reps that are trained in Retention issues, but they also do regular rep work. You can ask for someone that can handle a retention issue and but, problem is, there is no way of telling if who you are talking to really knows retention or not.

In the "old days" Retention was a seperate department that could offer you lots and lots of goodies to keep you as a customer. It was supposed to be kind of semi-secret, but the word got out an they were giving out too much stuff, in Sprint's opinion. First, they severely restricted the goodies to be given out then - at about the same time they closed/downsized a number of service centers and sent a lot of business to pakistan, they eliminated the retention department as a seperate unit.

There still are retention deals available, but it is an effort sometimes to find a rep that knows about them, understands them, and can enter them into the computer system.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I was told today by the customer service rep that "retention" reps help people close their accounts. That's after getting the run around and being hung up on by the "floor supervisor" who never gave me his name.

I'm still trying to resolve this issue:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...0&postcount=20
  17.    #17  
    If I can get them to throw in free vision I think I'll jump on it. At that point it would be too good to pass up. They seem to be more responsive if I just ask about the procedures for transferring my number to another provider instead of just saying "give me this or that" and I will stay, so I'm not sure how I'm gonna go about it but I'll give it another try in a bit here.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I don't know how you guys do it.

I've talked to 5 people at "customer solutions" and called Lockline twice. I've spent all afternoon trying to get results, but everyone says the store will have to replace my phone, since that's where I got it. Of course the store manager says go through insurance or some other store - even though their computers say my phone is over 2 years old and out of warranty.

And to top it all off, the website is messed up and somehow I got disconnected when I talked to the floor supervisor at Customer solutions the first time.

I made an appointment at the store for tomorrow.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by hocndoc
    I don't know how you guys do it.
    I guess neither am I now. I called Sprint yesterday to tell them I was looking to just drop one line of the family plan just to get the "Can I ask you why you want to cancel?" conversation. Well, I got it, and the offer she made was LESS generous than the previous offer. The previous rep (as stated before) had offered me the full $150 rebate + 300 anytime minutes added to my plan with $10 off monthly. This rep said there was no record of the 300 mns/$10 off just the full $150 -- and she had no idea how the other rep could make that offer since that plan didn't exist. My goal was to see if I could get vision thrown in for free and all I ended up doing was screwing up my previous offer.