1.    #1  
    I recently purchased a Verizon Treo 650 to replace an aging v60 and m505. I didn't care about data, just wanted a new phone/pda combo so my pockets didn't bulge quite so badly. But, since it has the wireless option, I figured I'd give it a whirl and went for the unlimited plan.

As I suspected, I have not found much value in using the Treo wirelessly (don't have an IMAP email account so no push email and browsing web pages on the Treo is a joke). The only real benefit was being able to use Avantgo wirelessly (I've got a Mac so unless I buy Missing Sync or connect wirelessly I can't use it).

So, I'd like to cancel my unlimited data plan and go with no data plan at all. But, I've read the horror stories here and elsewhere about ridiculous data charges and the phone connecting by itself, etc.

What I'd like to do is get as much info as possible on how to disable wireless connections on my Treo. Do I need to (and can I) remove certain apps? Do I need to change certain settings or preferences? What can I do to the Network connection to disable it or put a dummy one in its place?

Any and all input is appreciated. I plan on implementing the advice I receive here, resetting the totals in my call log and monitoring data usage for a week before removing the data plan.

Side rant1: Verizon/Palm should have a simple setting that gives 3 options - Connect at will, Notify before connect, Never connect. In my opinion not having the never connect option is a scam.

Side rant2: Verizon should charge a reasonable rate for the service. I'd prefer something around $5 or $10, but would consider something like $20. $45 is just ridiculous.
    Treo 650 is an expensive device if not connected. PDA's don't seem to be very useful anymore if not connected as well. Sprint's unlimited is only $10-$15/month and they have about same coverage as Verizon depending on market (both have about 21,000 towers each and Sprint is adding more at a faster rate).

Has anyone tried getting a data deal with Verizon by threatening a switch to Sprint?
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  3.    #3  
    Not really. I paid $200 for my last cell phone and $450 for my last pda. Verizon charged me $300 for the phone/pda. And, my pda is still as useful as my last one for carrying my datebook and addressbook. Being able to call someone from my addressbook or add them to my addressbook automatically after receiving a call from them is definitely a plus.

I tried threatening to switch - all it got me was a $30 loyalty credit to my account. (I also was offered a cheaper Familyshare plan than the one I was paying for, but that had nothing to do with threatening to switch.) On the flip side, Sprint offered me a ton to get me to switch and by a ton I mean: 2 treos for $350 each plus a free case, car charger, and bluetooth headset for each plus 2 color screen camera phones for free plus 2 months of free data on all 4 lines and $20/month for the data on both treos after that plus no activation fee. Unfortunately none of that was worth the $175/line fee of breaking my Verizon contract. I bet Verizon would be much more interested in negotiating if you were out of contract but I had over a year on each line and didn't want to wait.

Once I get rid of the data plan, Verizon actually is cheaper for voice only.

Anyway, I don't want to contribute to hijacking my own thread. So, if anyone could give me the advice I was looking for, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
    Try entering ##3282# - that should open the menu for your network connectivity settings. Just type a bunch of nonsense in there and the device will not be able to connect. I think you will need your MSL for this, though.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    I have never installed wireless sync. I have done nothing else and my VZW Treo 650 has necer tried to conenct without me initiating it. I have no data plan.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Change your netowrk access to something else besides National Access. I set up a nluetooth profile so I can connect for free through my computer at home, if I have that set then I will never connect.
  7.    #7  
    Could you give me steps I can take to set up a bluetooth profile like that? Or, point me to someplace I can find more info?

Thanks!
    At least on my GSM phone this works.

Under preferences, Network, Preferences. The only option is "Ask before connecting to the Internet" If you check that, it should always prompt you any time you try to do something that would connect to the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by themant
    Could you give me steps I can take to set up a bluetooth profile like that? Or, point me to someplace I can find more info?

Thanks!
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=99512

Follow the directions here...this is so you can set up a roadrunner connection and use MOU (minutes only use) instead of data. Instead of the script and having a dialup, you could either put in the bluetooth data or put in nonsense. Once this is your default setting, you won't connect with data anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    Try entering ##3282# - that should open the menu for your network connectivity settings. Just type a bunch of nonsense in there and the device will not be able to connect. I think you will need your MSL for this, though.
    I'd be grateful for a few more specifics on what screen I need to be on in the phone to enter that info. I've bought a Treo 650 with Verizon CDMA. I want to turn the data transfer options OFF.

Thanks so much,
    Kamila
    I figured out a way to actually delete the National Access connection profile from the device making it virtually impossible to initiate a data connection. I wrote a set of instructions to Disable National Access on a Verizon Treo 650.
    I am in Canada, and with Telus Mobility. When I got my Treo, I made it clear that I only wanted to use it as a PDA, and didn't need web access at all. As they had just introduced the Treo, they had no idea that anyone wouldn't want this. But, they had no reasonable plans. After constant pestering, they devised a "Pay as you Go" plan, where I pay an additional $5 per month, and then it would be a "pay per use" fee if I needed web/email access. I have had the Treo for about 4 month and it is great. I tend to send more text messages from it than I ever did, but that is much more reasonable than emailing. I hope this helps your case.