1.    #1  
    Okay, here's the deal:

Cingular T650 gets good reviews for battery life from PC Mag and I like the aspect of 'roll-over' minutes; I can get 900 minutes that roll-over the unused portion for about $59.99 a mos. Unlimited data plan is $49.99 (this is from a visit to a store).

Sprint T650 was definately NOT preferred by PC Mag, but with their merger with Nextel, I expect big thing happening w/ regards to coverage, perhaps PTT, etc. Also, member on TC seem to have no problems with the Sprint T650 and I live in a metro area so coverage is not a problem (burbs of Chgo).

But (and I have not checked them out yet) I believe Sprint offers no roll-over plan. Bummer. But, if what I read here is true, their data plan is much cheaper.

What to do, what to do.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Sprint's data plan is definitely cheaper than Cingular's. What's more important to you, coverage or price? Cingular's network is bigger and that's what you pay for.

Joe
    The rollover is very attractive, but after a year all of those unused minutes are gone. Sprint has the fair and flexible plans that allow you to go over without paying and arm and a leg. I prefer Sprint to Cingular (I've used both networks) for the data, no other company can offer true unlimited data for only $10 or $15, it depends if you opt for certain packages.
    I used AT&T (now cingular) for almost 5 years before switching to Sprint and all I can say is Sprint blows them away in my market. Call clarity is better far and away. Not to mention data is MUCH more affordable on the Sprint side.

Until last month, I was on a $100/mo personal plan with 3 extra lines (for a total of 4). The second line was free because I was on a 2000 minute plan. The first line got free Vision (data). Vision for lines 2-4 were $5 a month if desired, and having lines 3 & 4 were $10 each/mo.

Last month I got my Treo and moved to a business plan which is a $115/mo plan fair and flexable with 2500 min/mo to start plus i get a 10% (or is it 15%) discount. Primary line still gets free vision, secondary line is still free and lines 2-5 are $10 a month and data for lines 3-5 is $5.

Rollover would be cool, but really, if you dont use your minutes each month, how realistic is it that you will have several months go by that you only use half your minutes and then find yourself in a month where you use 5 times your monthly limit? I don't see that happening very often if ever. And the fact that you loose them all at the end of the year... well you dont REALLY get to keep those rollover minutes now do you?

It really all boils down to where you are and who supports your market the best. There are deffinitely places where Sprint trumps all, others where Verizon or Cingular have the best coverage service. The trick is finding out who it is in your area, and the areas of the country that you will be traveling to.
    CDMA gives better bandwidth than non-EDGE GSM.

And EVDO is better than even EDGE GSM in terms of bandwidth.

Nuff said.

And having an insurance option with Sprint is not bad either .
    That "no insurance" thing with Cingular would be a BIG issue for me, too.
    My other thing is that for an extra $5 a month you've basically got all of the other CDMA networks out there working for you too! Oh, and before someone mentions it, the little caveat that said you could only use 50% of your minutes or less roaming? You know, the one EVERYONE kept pointing to when I would mention this? Yeah, they've removed it from their brochures.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Sprint's data plan (Vision - 80-120Kbit/sec) is only $10-$15/month and is available on 100% of the network. Cingular's Edge (100-200Kbits/sec) is not available in many cities and it's non-Edge service is ridiculously slow.

Cingular will be fine as a voice player but data is their weak spot.

BTW, Verizon's coverage is not better than Sprint's. It just depends on the market. Both Sprint/Verizon have about 21,000 cell sites each. Sprint is now expanding by 14K more on Nextel sites.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Sprint's data plan (Vision - 80-120Kbit/sec) is only $10-$15/month and is available on 100% of the network. Cingular's Edge (100-200Kbits/sec) is not available in many cities and it's non-Edge service is ridiculously slow.

Cingular will be fine as a voice player but data is their weak spot.

BTW, Verizon's coverage is not better than Sprint's. It just depends on the market. Both Sprint/Verizon have about 21,000 cell sites each. Sprint is now expanding by 14K more on Nextel sites.
    You can't go by count of cell sites alone. Secondly, even if Sprint is not on many of the NXTL sites already (a dubious proposition at best), they would still have to hang antennas on the remaining sites - otherwise it doesn't matter. They use different technology, different frequency, etc.

The issue with Sprint is that it doesn't have any legacy network sites like Verizon does - they have many old analog sites which although doesn't help from a tech perspective for a Treo owner (because Treos are not analog capable), they have easy access to swapping out equipment on those towers already - without having to go and renegotiate new leases for additional tower space.
    ^Righto, Sprint is adding more CDMA cell site equipment to existing Nextel sites. They've already started, adding about 3-5, sometimes 10 new sites per market per month. The cost of adding sites are not as much equipment as much as community approval and leasing of spots. It's a pretty big coup for Sprint to have these sites already approved and leased.

Verizon would have to do a great deal of negotiations, community approvals to catch up. They may need more sites for EVDO capacity more than coverage. Adding equipment is easy, acquiring a site is not.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    I can get Sprint's service just fine at every place I frequent.

The whole "no analog" thing comes into play for folks in less populated areas. But I guess that's why they offer that coverage map to customers so people can see what they are getting.

In my years with Sprint their coverage has never been much of an issue for me. And I guess that's one reason why I've been with them so many years.

I had Cingular back when they were BellSouth Cellular. And seeing that ROAM light is about as bad as no service at all. Cause most folks (me included) will never make a call while in ROAM. In those cases I'll get someone else's phone to use .
    Last edited by darnell; 08/08/2005 at 12:13 PM.
    Cingular's rollover is way overrated.....essentially it amounts to buying (and paying for) more minutes than you really need most of the time, just to build a cushion for some time in the future when you use more minutes than you typically do. Sprint's Fair and Flexible is the better way to insure yourself against big bills, because you can sign up for a cheaper plan that more closely reflects your typical usage. And, you don't have to worry about minutes expiring.

And as others have stated, Sprint blows Cingular away on data pricing....and they are now rolling out EVDO (though that won't matter on a T650)
    Best way to choose is by testing out what works in your area and the areas you frequent. Hardware wise, the phones are NOT the same. PC Mag clearly gave the edge to Cingular in the Sprint / Cingular comparison and one would expect a later release to have some improvments.

But I think they fudged it with their Verizon comparison. They clearly stated that the Verizon phone had better sound and other enhancements but withheld editor's choice from the Verizon model (giving it to Cingular) cause it did not provide EV-DO.....so what, neither does the Sprint so I don't see how that can be a real knock . Of course PC mag didn't go back and rate what the latest firmware has done for Cingular and Sprint so we are at a lack of published comparisions in that respect. Hardware wise though, I'd have to give a slight edge to Verizon simply cause they again had more time for refinements.

Best service / signal availability choices in my area are Verizon and Cingular. I have both; advantage in my area, Cingular. I use Cingular as, my primary phone and the Verizon one as a backup.

Other differences you might consider:

Free Calls - The more peeps you know on a particular service which your vendor will let you call for free, the better for you. With the most customers, I gotta give a very small margin to AT&Tingular.

Cost / Minutes Voice - The plans change often so who has the advantage one week is offset by someone else undercutting it next month. When I started my contract Cingular was offering 50 more minutes for the same price compared to Sprint. Verizon didn't have a Treo yet at that time. Advantage here....continually changing.

Data - Sprint has a $5 advantage on data plans right now over Cingular. While speed is not an issue on routine e-mails and regular web browsing as "in practice" speeds are comparable. However, as detailed in the PC Magazine article

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1771797,00.asp

if you routinely send large files back and forth, the speed advantage on large files will likely be worth the $5. Verizon's Ev-DO would be even better but it ain't on the Treo.

Slight edge to Sprint on the $5 data pricing advantage if you don't send / receive large files.

Unlike the previous poster I find the rollover thing HUGE.

I am in the office most of the time. My travel away from the office is not the same each month. During the construction season, I am out on job sites more frequently. I vacation in the summer and travel out of town on business for a week in the months of January and July to national professional events as well as March , June and November for statewide events. Our phone usage (4 phones) might be 300 minutes one month and 2100 the next. Even 1000 / 1200 variation has huge cost impact if you ahve an 1100 minute plan. This is a clear advantage if your usage follows a similar pattern. If you use the same amount of minutes each month, then no one has advantage other than the month to month indicated above. If you usage is variable I think rollover is huge advantage.

My suggestion......go to a brick and mortar store....better yet several of them in your area. 1) you will get better pricing than anywhere on the web 2) you can hold the three of them in your hand, walk outside the stores, see what signal you are getting or even make a call on the store's "samples" and see hat you like......then look at the plans, what you wnat from them in the way of data / voice servcie and make a decision on what works best for you.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite

serious question- do you work for sprint?

THe topic was sprint versus cingulair and you toss out comparisons to verizon.

just curious.