Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    Merger was approved on August 4th/05:

    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...extel_fcc.html

    My question is: Can I switch from my Nextel cell to a Sprnt Treo 650 without incurring cancelling charges from Nextel? Hmmm.....

    As of today, 8-5-05, Nextel still wants it's $200 cancellation fee if I switch.

    Any thoughts, ideas, inside info?
  2. #2  
    Just because the FCC approved the merger doesn't mean that the merger is complete. I suspect that it will be Q1 or Q2 of 06 before consumers see any significant changes as a result. I do suspect at that point you will be able to switch between networks without an ETF, but that is speculation at this point.
  3. #3  
    I was in the local Sprint store last week and the assistant manager said she had gone through a lot of training the last two weeks and the merger with Nextel would happen September 1st.

    She said the merger would start off by each company (Sprint and Nextel) selling the products of the other company in their stores. She said they were also changing and making a push to move more customer service from the stores to the call centers. She also said that if I didn't like the customer service of Sprint now I would hate it in the coming months. I couldn't believe she actually said that!

    I also asked what promotions if any they planned and if they planned on producing a product that combined the Nextel wakie talkie with a Sprint phone. (I wanted to know if they planned a Treo of course) .... Her answer was she didn't know any of those details.

    I thought I would pass this on if anyone wanted to know.
  4. sledgie's Avatar
    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by winginit
    My question is: Can I switch from my Nextel cell to a Sprnt Treo 650 without incurring cancelling charges from Nextel? Hmmm.....

    As of today, 8-5-05, Nextel still wants it's $200 cancellation fee if I switch.

    Any thoughts, ideas, inside info?
    winginit: check over at pcsintel.com or sprintpcsinfo.com , i'd give you the exact link but one of the news articles over there points at the sprint/nextel merger and what you CAN/CANT do before/after sept 1st (2nd). meaning cancellation charges, etc.
    hth,
    sledgie
  5. #5  
    When in doubt, read your contract.
    If they merge with another company (nextel) it won't necessarrily have any effect on the contract already in place.

    If they change the terms of the contract without your approval, you should have grounds to void the contract without penalties.

    Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

    I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self
    .



  6. #6  
    Sept 1 seems to be the major new structuring annoucement around Nextel consolidation. There will apparently be a new pricing structure announced too on Sept 1.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  7. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #7  
    When you call a NexTel phone now it says "Please wait while the Sprint subscriber is located". Just FYI.
  8. #8  
    Perhaps the answer to your question is here.
  9. #9  
    Good Find

    Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

    I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self
    .



  10. #10  
    I guess this is what the Sept 1 date is about....



    If I want to switch my service between Sprint and Nextel will I be charged a penalty or fee?

    In the weeks immediately after the close of the merger, existing Sprint and Nextel switching and upgrade policies will not change -- customers will be charged early termination and activations fees as applicable. This will be required only during an organizational period before the combined company begins a highly visible promotional campaign. At that point, customers who would like to switch services between the Nationwide Sprint PCS Network (CDMA) and the Nextel National Network (IDEN) and will not be charged an early termination fee, activation fee or upgrade fee. A new contract will be required. Customers eligible for an upgrade discount will receive the discount when switching across networks. (Note: Due to certain legal requirements, the company will not be able to waive early termination or activation fees for customers who are switching to or from Sprint Affiliate or Nextel Partner coverage areas.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  11. #11  
    Basically as of last night, blazer stopped working. It continually timed out. I got data fine (via Chatter) but couldnt get on the web. Called sprint, talked with a level 2 techie, troubleshooted it. Told me to go to the sprint store for them to diagnose it. Got to the sprint store (they close at 6 pm here), no tech in, have to come back on Wed (partly my fault with work and school schedule.)

    My question: Since when does Sprint charge $35 dollars to diagnose my treo? The assistant manager said it is a new policy since the Spring/Nextel merger. Dr Doom (or others who work for sprint), is this true and why? The assistant manager said I could avoid it by paying $3 a month for each phone on my account by signing up with ESRP.

    (BTW-I did a hard reset and reinstalled everything with backup lite...worked good except for one database. Since I got home and hotsync'd, my web is back up and working great...go figure.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  12. #12  
    What does the diagnostic fee gives you?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    What does the diagnostic fee gives you?
    Evidently it would have told me if there was a hardware/software defect and whether they needed to reflash it or replace it. I don't think they would have replaced it because I bought it off ebay a year ago and the warranty date on the unit is 2-3-04.

    My point is that this diagnostic service was free (or so I thought). I wanted to make sure this Asst. Mgr wasnt pulling something out of his rear end. When I called sprint CSR, they had no idea about this diagnostic fee.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  14. #14  
    This fee must apply to all handheld. I doubt if they apply it to their Windows based smartphones.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Basically as of last night, blazer stopped working. It continually timed out. I got data fine (via Chatter) but couldnt get on the web. Called sprint, talked with a level 2 techie, troubleshooted it. Told me to go to the sprint store for them to diagnose it. Got to the sprint store (they close at 6 pm here), no tech in, have to come back on Wed (partly my fault with work and school schedule.)

    My question: Since when does Sprint charge $35 dollars to diagnose my treo? The assistant manager said it is a new policy since the Spring/Nextel merger. Dr Doom (or others who work for sprint), is this true and why? The assistant manager said I could avoid it by paying $3 a month for each phone on my account by signing up with ESRP.

    (BTW-I did a hard reset and reinstalled everything with backup lite...worked good except for one database. Since I got home and hotsync'd, my web is back up and working great...go figure.)
    Same thing happened to me...they made me wait in line after I told them that I wanted to speak to a tech. When they called my name, the girl at the computer told me that I had to pay $3/month or send my phone to the mfr. I only wanted to ask the tech about a network problem, not a phone problem. Those idiots had me upset that day.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by 9thfloormaniac
    Same thing happened to me...they made me wait in line after I told them that I wanted to speak to a tech. When they called my name, the girl at the computer told me that I had to pay $3/month or send my phone to the mfr. I only wanted to ask the tech about a network problem, not a phone problem. Those idiots had me upset that day.
    I am kind of surprised that they would institute this kind of policy but then not train the CSR's on what they are doing. It seemed common practice that if something was wrong and they could not fix it on the phone with you that they just tell you to take it in and 'get it tested'.

    Love Sprints prices...hate their services. I guess there is always a tradeoff.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  17. sledgie's Avatar
    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #17  
    ok here's the official word on phones being fixed for money$$$$

    if you bought your phone PRIOR to the merger (9/1) they HAVE to look at it without paying a fee since it's under Sprint's policy prior to 9/1

    if you bought it after 9/1, then you have to pay $$ to have it looked at or fixed

    if you bought it before 9/1, but your phone breaks after 12/31 (and it's still under the 1 year policy) you have to pay $$ to have it looked at or fixed.

    so between 9/1 and 12/31 there is OPEN enrollment even if you have PREVIOUSLY not bought insurance, you can buy it now. if you bought the treo in june, but didn't buy insurance, and you drop the phone and the lcd breaks, you were up the creek. but, now you can add the TEP plan and when it drops, they'll fix it or send you a refurbished for $50 (but at least it's better than the other offers)
  18. #18  
    Thanks Sledgie. Still kind of sucks. Its not really worth it for my old treo 600 though. If you have a 650, I would sign up for it now.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Posting Permissions