1.    #1  
    Just got a verizon 650...device is great except notice it is consistently one to two bars less on signal strength than the moto t720 I also use, in identical locations. often signal stregth is 1 -2 bars on treo but 4-5 on moto. Is this normal?? no dropped calls yet...should this be reason to swap treo?
    thanks
    In all honesty "Bars" don't always correspond from one particular phone to another (I.e Treo 650 vs. 650) let alone across brands and models. I.e. not all radios that received -100 dBm at the receiver will show x-number of bars. It boils down to how well does it really recieve and make calls. One can tweak it to show lots of bars for a weak signal, or few for a strong signal. It depends on how it was set up.

Bottom line, enjoy your radio. If you find issues with not being able to receive or make calls, then I'd start worrying.

Have fun with your new 650!
    As noted by Joey's Poppa, the number of bars may not mean that much. My old phone is a StarTAC, which goes up to five bars, whereas the T650 only has four.

I've been paying attention to this, because I've been having T650 reception problems in my house. By bringing up the radio status screen (#*#DEBUG on VzW Treo) and comparing it with the StarTAC, I've picked up on a couple things. One is that the Treo takes significantly longer to reflect signal strength changes on the meter than the StarTAC. The other is that the phones are usually close in signal strength (dBm). So it really comes down to your ability to make calls and transfer data, if you do that.
    Visor Deluxe -> m125 -> Tungsten|T -> Treo 650 (CDMA)
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by XJCoupe
    ... By bringing up the radio status screen (#*#DEBUG on VzW Treo) and comparing it with the StarTAC, I've picked up on a couple things. One is that the Treo takes significantly longer to reflect signal strength changes on the meter than the StarTAC. The other is that the phones are usually close in signal strength (dBm). ....
    could be a couple reasons I can think of- first perhaps the subroutine in the treo asks for a response from the chip in larger intervals then the startac. I use chemical detectors at work all the time- and some report an answer every 10th of a second, others every 1 seconds, still others every 3 seconds. It's just how the software was written.

The other thing is the nature of CDMA itself. To save battery and give hte newtowrk more capacity, the phone is not always connected to the tower. When the phone is off and just waiting for a call it is assigned a number by the tower (I believe between 1 and 128) then every fraction of a second a new number is told to check in (if I recall every 1/100th of a second. So the effect is the radio talks to the tower only for 1/100th of a second every 1.28 seconds. That's part of how the standby time is so so much longer then the talk time. I'm not sure if it wakes up the connection completely when we use the debug code. It certainly seems like it isn't continously checking- so i wonder if its still in that standby type mode where it checks in every 1.28 seconds? If that is the deal then if the startac is assign 1 and the treo is assigned 50 then the startac will get a reading 1/2 a second before the treo every time they both check in.

Not sure at all if that's what is going on- just a WAG.
    Does anyone have an FAQ on what all of the fields on the radio status screen stand for and what numbers you should be looking for?
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd
    the subroutine in the treo asks for a response from the chip in larger intervals then the startac.
    That's what I was observing. Both phones update their debug screens at about the same interval, but the Treo is slower to reflect the changes on antenna meter. I only mentioned it because if you're moving around, you may never get a fair comparison between the Treo and another phone that updates the meter more quickly.

The other thing is the nature of CDMA itself. To save battery and give hte newtowrk more capacity, the phone is not always connected to the tower. When the phone is off and just waiting for a call it is assigned a number by the tower (I believe between 1 and 128) then every fraction of a second a new number is told to check in
    I had forgotten about "slot cycle index". According to the StarTAC info I have, it can range from 0 - 7, with a default of 1. I had fooled around with this value on the StarTAC, to get a faster response on incoming calls, but it affects battery life. And battery life on StarTACs is already miserable.

I don't know how to check this on the Treo, but I doubt it matters. I have seen the Treo radio go to sleep while in the debug screen, but it usually wakes up again within a few seconds.

Thanks for the response.
    Visor Deluxe -> m125 -> Tungsten|T -> Treo 650 (CDMA)