Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been a Verizon customer for several years and think the customer care and service is OK, but Sprint has similar reception at 1/2 the cost. Sprint EVDO will likely be in my area before Verizon, Verizons internet charge sort of pisses me off as well.

What is the general concensus on Sprint vs. Verizon with the exception of coverage?
    Generally Verizon's customer service seems better, but the two companies seem to be converging on this point.
    I've had no real problems with Sprint, either service or customer service. I've been with them for a number of years and, unless things change, I'll stay with them.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 07/25/2005 at 02:00 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I have had sprint for years and have been quite happy with their service and 100% satisfied with their prices compared to VZW.
    I was with Sprint before I came to VZW (about 3 years ago). Now at that time...I thought Sprint's coverage was horrible and their customer support was horrible (what more is there?). I would call up with problems and it never was a pleasant experience. I live in the RDU in North Carolina (4 major universities and Research Triangle Park all within 50 miles or so) so I should have had reception. But I'd frequently start roaming in my living room. Hope I never have to go back to them!
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the kind replies, I know this issue has been covered.

Its hard to argue with a 50% savings for the same service.
    The real issue is reception. Every carrier has dead spots, even Verizon. My neice was not happy with Sprint: at home, she had to go out in the street in front of her house to get a signal. But when she moved to Boston, she was very happy with it.

I was recently in Arizona on vacation. I got a decent Sprint signal in even most of the small towns we went through. I think my wife's Verizon phone roamed a lot more than mine did.

You've got two weeks to cancel your Sprint contract if you're not happy with it, so give it a try if you're disatisfied with Verizon's pricing.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Also sprints data is a fraction of the cost of the verizon data plans
    Palm V to the Palm 505 to the Palm 515 to the Zire 71 to Treo 600 to the Treo 650 to the Treo 700 to the Treo 755 to the Treo 700w (30 days hated it) to the Treo 755p to the Blackberry World Edition (Hated it) to the PALM PRE!
  9.    #9  
    I'm trying the Sprint, I have noticed that the internet is faster, but I noticed that all of the weather sites are premium while I can just type the URL with verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Howitzer
    I'm trying the Sprint, I have noticed that the internet is faster, but I noticed that all of the weather sites are premium while I can just type the URL with verizon.
    What sites?

Try mobile.wunderground.com
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    What sites?

Try mobile.wunderground.com
    I tested that one in the store and it redirected to accuweather. It could have been a fubar?
    Coverage is pretty equal on the whole now but not necessarily in the same markets. Both Sprint and Verizon have about 21,000 cell towers. When Sprint acquires Nextel, they plan to convert 14K of 28K Nextel towers to CDMA in two years, which will give Sprint much more coverage/capacity than Verizon.

The cost of adding a tower is not as much equipment costs but rather getting approval for each site. Verizon will have a hard time catching up with Sprint to add that many towers unless buying another carrier.

On EVDO, Sprint will pass Verizon next year in coverage. Sprint plans to convert 100% of their data network to EVDO covering 250 million potential users. Verizon admits they only plan on 75% of their network to EVDO, covering 160-190 million potential users. Sprint also has much more bandwidth to each tower so can deliver closer to 1MB/sec more often where you'll typically get 300-600Kbit/sec with Verizon.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    They're the greatest.
    They saved my dog, Seņor Pepe's life once.
    Sprint fixed my relationship with my wife.
    One time, I was walking through the woods, and I fell in an old, abandoned well. Sprint raced home and barked until somebody understood, and came to help me.
    Sprint's working on a cure for boredom!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    They're the greatest.
    They saved my dog, Seņor Pepe's life once.
    Sprint fixed my relationship with my wife.
    One time, I was walking through the woods, and I fell in an old, abandoned well. Sprint raced home and barked until somebody understood, and came to help me.
    Sprint's working on a cure for boredom!
    Saaaawwweeeeeet, I'm sold I have a bad neck I wonder if they can accomplish that.
    They do have cheap data services but almost no coverage, except in the midwest.

The rest is roaming on Verizon.

If you have a problem with Sprint, it's very difficult to get it resolved because I call three times a week at the least. (i live in south san fran bay area- great coverage in this area but outside of here pretty much no coverage).

Sprint would be great if it was a GSM network adn they kept their prices and deals (and better coverage)...
    Quote Originally Posted by wackochrisoidun
    They do have cheap data services but almost no coverage, except in the midwest.
    Now that's an exaggeration. You also can't roam data AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $Read$ $my$ $above$ $post$. $Both$ $Sprint$ $and$ $Verizon$ $have$ $about$ $21$,$000$ $towers$ $each$. $Each$ $may$ $be$ $stronger$ $in$ $some$ $markets$ $than$ $others$.
    I travel the country and rarely, very rarely have any coverage issues with Sprint. This includes cities, suburbs and rural. I have no personal experience with Verizon but I have heard for instance that little towns on the Oregon coast have Verizon as the only option. So it may be true in some rural areas they have better coverage.

The only places I have over the last year I could not get a sprint tower was east of Williams Arizona, and south of Mount Shasta, California.
    Quote Originally Posted by robangel
    I travel the country and rarely, very rarely have any coverage issues with Sprint. This includes cities, suburbs and rural. I have no personal experience with Verizon but I have heard for instance that little towns on the Oregon coast have Verizon as the only option. So it may be true in some rural areas they have better coverage.

The only places I have over the last year I could not get a sprint tower was east of Williams Arizona, and south of Mount Shasta, California.
    I too rarely have dropped calls all over the country. The only exceptions are my grandfather's farm in Oklahoma and at a concert in Tennessee....it wasn't the location as much as the number of people trying to use their phones at the same time. People with Verizon made calls without a hitch though. That was the only time I've ever regretted owning Sprint...and then I remembered how great Sprint was when I woke up the next morning to get the news and do some light browsing (before my laptop's battery died) while everybody else was still sleeping in their tents.

As for rural areas....Verizon prolly wouldn't help that much compared to Sprint. You'd need to look to GSM technology for that one.....but most people who own Treos aren't that rural.....so, Sprint it is!!
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    we're having this discussion in another thread but the summary us pcs (1900mhz) towers are not equal to cell (800) towers. It takes art least 1.3 or perhaps 2.0 times as many pcs towers to get the same area covered.

sprint is all pcs. verizon has a mix.

real world the only difference seems to be getting a signal indoors. if you are lucky enough to be in an 800 market you'll be somewhat better off with vzw.

I think the nextel towers are in the 800mhz range so that might be the rush to change so many of them. I can imagine that sprint/nextel would have a need for some many towers since both they and verizon are pretty darn good in most cases already with about the same number.

important points though about data speeds. vzw also seems to have the most digital subs per tower so I think that also potentially slows down their data to a degree.

also while I agree that getting sites is tough since they all co-locate both by choice and regulation I don't know that it is such a big deal. want more towers you just call the competition and ask how much to rent a spot. I think sprint even sold all their towers to a 3rd party anyhow and leases back space so they don't even own them anymore. so presumably vzw could call the owner and make a deal to co-locate on all of sprints 20+ thousand towers all at once if they wanted to.

why vzw is only going EVDO on part of the network is anyones guess...
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd
    we're having this discussion in another thread but the summary us pcs (1900mhz) towers are not equal to cell (800) towers. It takes art least 1.3 or perhaps 2.0 times as many pcs towers to get the same area covered.
    We've had this discussion and it seems that in dense metro areas, this may be moot. There are usually many towers in denser areas for the purposes of adding capacity as much as coverage or penetration. If you look at Sprint/Verizon NYC maps, they have towers all over the place blocks apart, not miles. When you add that many for capacity reasons, the building penetration issues are automatically not an issue.

1900 might have penetration issues in certain cases but 800 doesn't have as much capacity per tower as 1900 so more have to be added for different reasons, the net result is generally the same.

My brother in NYC uses Sprint and his antenna once broke. He said he never had issues in NYC with the busted antenna but when he traveled to smaller towns, he dropped calls. He ended up getting a new phone and has had no dropped call issues since. The huge number of towers in NYC pretty much makes penetration issues moot when more are needed for capacity reasons, whether 800 or 1900.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast