1.    #1  
    I have been holding off the purchase of the 650 for some time to see how it faired in the reviews.

One question that i have is, is it possible to use the 650 in essence as a wireless card to access the EVDO (or whatever verizons wireless web is called) and provide my laptop with access to the internet anywhere?

I know i can just buy the PCMIA card to do the same thing, but if i can get a phone and a conduit to the internet for my laptop in one, that would rock.

Thanks!

Phil
    That's not a router, but a wireless modem.

And although it's a violation of Verizon's TOS, yes, you can do it with either a USB cable or a bluetooth hack.
    for lots of information on this search for DUN (Dial Up Networking).
    Quote Originally Posted by Egress
    I have been holding off the purchase of the 650 for some time to see how it faired in the reviews.

One question that i have is, is it possible to use the 650 in essence as a wireless card to access the EVDO (or whatever verizons wireless web is called) and provide my laptop with access to the internet anywhere?

I know i can just buy the PCMIA card to do the same thing, but if i can get a phone and a conduit to the internet for my laptop in one, that would rock.

Thanks!

Phil

Here's the best program I've found for easily doing what you want to do:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=88368

-
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    except the treo 650 does not have a EVDO chipset, it has EDGE and 1xRTT, so you would be using Verizon's 1xRTT

and, it's not against verizon's TOS if you pay for the $80 unlimited (or whatever pricing plan they have now for 1xRTT speeds) instead of the $45 handheld
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    except the treo 650 does not have a EVDO chipset, it has EDGE and 1xRTT, so you would be using Verizon's 1xRTT

and, it's not against verizon's TOS if you pay for the $80 unlimited (or whatever pricing plan they have now for 1xRTT speeds) instead of the $45 handheld

What type of connection speed is that?
    i remember using my motorola v710 as a modema and setting up a dial up networking option, are there drivers out there that make the treo a modem like the motorola v710?
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    well i was just correcting your statement that you could set the treo 650 up to use verizon's EVDO network. it doesn't work that way. The CDMA version of the treo has a 1xRTT/CDMA 2000 chipset, the GSM version has an EDGE chipset. I'm not sure what speeds EDGE is, 1xRTT is about 144kbit/sec max, so about 8-16k/sec, in OPTIMAL conditions.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    well i was just correcting your statement that you could set the treo 650 up to use verizon's EVDO network. it doesn't work that way. The CDMA version of the treo has a 1xRTT/CDMA 2000 chipset, the GSM version has an EDGE chipset. I'm not sure what speeds EDGE is, 1xRTT is about 144kbit/sec max, so about 8-16k/sec, in OPTIMAL conditions.

ehhhhh..... looks like i'm going with the pc card...