1.    #1  
    I drive through some rural areas almost daily and my 650 goes into roam mode and I have noticed lately that my phone does not go back to the Sprint network automatically. I disconnect and reconnect and it does not make a difference, it ends up back in roam after connection. If I do a soft reset (just push the pin-hole under the battery cover) and then reconnect it to the network it ends up going right to the Sprint network (often with 2 or more bars). I know this didn't start until after the ROM update but don't recall it happening immediately afterwards.

Has anyone seen something like this? I tried to search but couldn't find anything in this forum...although it's hard to figure search terms.

Any ideas? Could it be a hw radio issue?

-Neil
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Cancel Digital roaming
  3.    #3  
    Cancelling digital roam would mean I'd just lose service at the point that it can't access Sprint's network...correct? That doesn't sound like it'd work for me, I'm not against roaming, just don't like it staying that way when it shouldn't.

Thanks
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the0ne
    Cancelling digital roam would mean I'd just lose service at the point that it can't access Sprint's network...correct? That doesn't sound like it'd work for me, I'm not against roaming, just don't like it staying that way when it shouldn't.

Thanks
    Right, but if you know you have service (Sprint) in one particular area then turn off digital roaming and it will force it to pick up Sprint towers.
    Oddly today I noticed my treo stuck on roam for quite a while when i should have full sprint coverage.. I'll keep an eye on it tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by wikka
    Oddly today I noticed my treo stuck on roam for quite a while when i should have full sprint coverage.. I'll keep an eye on it tomorrow
    Did you try pressing *18 and then hitting dial???

That's supposed to lock you on to the strongest tower your phone's radio can find.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I started getting stuck in roaming in my office on Monday. For the past 8 months I have had a 2 bar signal, but on Monday only roaming. I called
    Sprint tech support and they said I needed a new PRL. So I tried downloading by dialing *2 and stating "PRL" and it responded with "What do you want to upgrade your voice plan or your phone". After calling Sprint back a few times, they said I have to go to a Sprint store and have the fone manually updated...GRRRRGH as I am sure that won't work either. Something weird is going on with their network....
    Some Sprint Reps are idiots. Call *2 and say "Technical Support", then "Representative". Tell the Tech support rep you need your account flagged for a PRL update.

Redail *2 and follow the directions ( which consists of waiting a minute or so) then you're all set.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Which begs the question .. what's the current PRL? I got 10028 as a result of the 1.12 update.
    - Fushigi
    I just realized this morning that I am also having this issue. I have 10028 as well. Is there a newer one?
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
    This happened to me yesterday. Never noticed it before. It eventually switched off roaming without intervention. Hope I don't get billed for roaming!
    You'll only get billed if you made or received a call while on roaming. Just being "on" roaming doesn't cost anything.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    My problem was resolved by Sprint. The issue was not a PRL issue, but a tower issue due to some inclement weather. At first Sprint said their was no problem, but then they called me back and acknowledged that there was a tower issue. Less than 24 hrs later all is well - no more roaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    You'll only get billed if you made or received a call while on roaming. Just being "on" roaming doesn't cost anything.
    Yep, made a call then. I was right outside my office so didn't check before dialing but noticed the roaming after hanging up. I had been a bit out of town earlier and thought it was strange but shrugged off the fact that I didn't get coverage where I was.

So it looks like the stuck on roaming issue was but a blip on treo trouble scene. But I'll prolaly get billed for it :<
    I'm also experiencing the same problems. Because of the area where I work, everytime I step into a building I go into roam, but that is normal. I just seem to be staying in roam all of the time. At home, I shouldn't roam at all, but it never seems to get out of it once I leave work. It's pretty annoying, I thought having the roaming option was good, but it's not when I'm constantly roaming. The weather here has been pretty good, so I don't think it's a tower issue... unless the tower melted from the heat. lol. I hope it's not a bug with this phone.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I had the exact same problem 2 months ago. The phone was stuck on roaming no matter what near my home.

the solution that fixed the problem:

called sprint. Asked for representative in technical support.
    Had him flag my account for prl update.

the next day the phone was fine.

I'm almost wondering if this isn't one of sprint's latest act of trickery here - to try these periods of roaming on people in order to increase everybody's bills a little bit here and there!
    most likely a glitch in either the network or the phone, but makes you wonder. I wouldn't put anything past these damn carriers.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    I'm almost wondering if this isn't one of sprint's latest act of trickery here - to try these periods of roaming on people in order to increase everybody's bills a little bit here and there!
    most likely a glitch in either the network or the phone, but makes you wonder. I wouldn't put anything past these damn carriers.
    Or to incentivize people to add Unlimited Roaming to their service plan (not quite unlimited).
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    ....I'm almost wondering if this isn't one of sprint's latest act of trickery here - to try these periods of roaming on people in order to increase everybody's bills a little bit here and there! most likely a glitch in either the network or the phone, but makes you wonder. I wouldn't put anything past these damn carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetoad
    Or to incentivize people to add Unlimited Roaming to their service plan (not quite unlimited).
    If that's the case, they certainly tricked the hell out of me!!! I had no choice but to add the "unlimited" roaming feature to my plan. *&^$%^& Sprint!!!