Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 86
  1.    #1  
    Anyone else get one of these?

    July 1, 2005

    Dear burnout,

    A recent review of your Sprint PCS Account noted an unusually large amount of data usage with your spring pcs phone. In our experience usage of this level is typically the result of using the phone as a modem. Using your Sprint PCS Phone as a modem in connection with any other device (computers, etc) is strictly prohibited under the terms of your unlimited Sprint PCS Vision Plan.

    To the extent you wish to continue to use your Sprint PCS Phone as a modem, you will need to change your Sprint PCS Vision Plan. Sprint offers a number of data-only plans, which are similar to our voice plans, whereby you are allotted a certain number of megabytes for a monthly recurring charge. These data plans are in addition to the voice calling plan that you have on your phone.

    Please note that continuing to use your Sprint PCS Phone as a modem on your current unlimited Sprint PCS Vision Plan is not an option and may result in cancellation of your Sprint PCS Vision Service.

    To find out more about our data-only plans, please visit a Sprint Store or contact Sprint at 000000 today. We look forward to working with you to set you up on a plan to serve your wireless dat needs.

    We apologize for any confusion and thank you for your continued business,

    Sprint Customer Service
    OK, what is funny about this is I rarely use DUN. I do, however, stream music nightly with PTunes. If you are going to have something UNLIMITED than make it freakin unlimited ya hosers.
  2. #2  
    They're automatically assuming that the charges are predominantly due to DUN. If as you say you rarely use it, call them and inform them that all data use is via the Treo and it's associated applications only, not because of DUN.

    Figure out where you go from there.
  3. #3  
    LOL, sorry. I have heard that happening (letters/warnings being sent out) but most who have gotten them admitted to using their treo as a dial up modem with like PDAnet or something.

    Have you contact them? If so, what did they say?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  4.    #4  
    Call them? Why would I waste my time doing that. I'm writing my response letter now.
  5. #5  
    How often do you use ptunes to stream music?
  6.    #6  
    Nightly. Usually on for 90 minutes. Now I'm going to run it all night.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by burnout
    Now I'm going to run it all night.
    LOL...taking the road less travelled I see. Good luck with that.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by burnout
    Nightly. Usually on for 90 minutes. Now I'm going to run it all night.
    Yeah, I've been w/Sprint for over 5 years...I'm just waiting on them to send me one of those letters. Fortunately, I'm out of a contract, so I'm in the driver seat here. I dare them to threaten me.

    What I don't get, is why they enabled DUN. It's like they are setting us up (read: entrapment) by enabling us to now use BT DUN. I mean, if it's there, why can't we use it? Oh, we can, but what? We have to upgrade our $10/"unlimited" account to an $80/unlimited "data" plan? Sweet. This is why I say "entrapment." You can bet your bottom dollar Sprint is monotoring data useage on Treo users like a hawk after 1.12.

    For me, I will continue streaming PT, using DUN (occasionaly) and if they shake the stick at me, then I'll go from there. Can't wait on a lawsiut to surface from this... (maybe that's extreme, but I do feel like they are tricking us into using DUN, then forcing us to upgrade to a "real" unlimited plan for 8x the cost of their existing "unlimited" plan).

    /rant
  9.    #9  
    ^^^

    Don't know if it is the proper term, but "bait and switch" comes to mind. I think everyone on here knew something was up when Sprint enabled DUN with the latest firmware.

    My Treo will be smoking with the amount of data coming through via PTunes.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by burnout
    ^^^

    Don't know if it is the proper term, but "bait and switch" comes to mind. I think everyone on here knew something was up when Sprint enabled DUN with the latest firmware.

    My Treo will be smoking with the amount of data coming through via PTunes.
    I agree, "bait and switch" is a better term. Yeah, well we knew all along that the reason DUN was disabled was because the carriers don't know how to bill the data that would inevitably come from DUN useage. After lying for months and months about "technical barriers" relating to non-functional DUN, they finally decided to flip the switch (thanks shadowmite, been using it since you fixed it).

    I saw the writing on the wall as soon as I activated my Treo 650 in November 2004. Shortly after activating (even before Sprint had a photo of the 650 when you log on) I saw on the main page after logging into your acct it now says "View the minutes and data you have used during this invoice period."

    Data? Awesome. Now I suspect they will begin limiting the amount of data PDA users are allowed because of the heavy data use on these type of devices. DUN I think is the nail in the coffin...now that it's enabled, they will be forced to monitor this more closely.

    Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying a *reasonable* fee for all-you-can-eat data access...but if it's anywhere close to what they are suggesting with their laptop data plans, that's too high. Maybe $15-$20/month for a no-frills data plan. Hell, use it as your slow ISP if you wish. That's what people want. None of this 3MB or 10MB month crap. It's 2005, let wireless flourish. Remember when cable modem data limits were suggested? Imagine if you were capped at, say, 1 Gig/month on your cable modem account. It would stifle the internet, it's development, etc, etc.

    Greedy companies. That's all it is.

    Man, I need some ice water here.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying a *reasonable* fee for all-you-can-eat data access...but if it's anywhere close to what they are suggesting with their laptop data plans, that's too high. Maybe $15-$20/month for a no-frills data plan. Hell, use it as your slow ISP if you wish. That's what people want. None of this 3MB or 10MB month crap. It's 2005, let wireless flourish. Remember when cable modem data limits were suggested? Imagine if you were capped at, say, 1 Gig/month on your cable modem account. It would stifle the internet, it's development, etc, etc.

    Greedy companies. That's all it is.
    I don't get how people consistently think that data prices are high when it comes to how much data is used. VZW's unlimited is $45 a month, and while it seems high, I know how much data I use. And I know that data is not free.

    Now, I know it's not priced the same way as say, a web server, but I do understand that there's a level I can hit where they are losing money.

    At any rate, I have no problem paying what I pay because I think I'm getting my money's worth.

    Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    I don't get how people consistently think that data prices are high when it comes to how much data is used. VZW's unlimited is $45 a month, and while it seems high, I know how much data I use. And I know that data is not free.

    Now, I know it's not priced the same way as say, a web server, but I do understand that there's a level I can hit where they are losing money.

    At any rate, I have no problem paying what I pay because I think I'm getting my money's worth.

    Pamela
    Well, my POV is this. Sprint says it's data is unlimited. They charge $10-$15 for that, but when you use all you want, they get upset and try to upsell you to a data plan that costs $80 for unlimited. That would make my monthly bill go from $100 to $180. That's quite a lot for a cellphone. Add that to my comcast modem @50/month, DirecTV @ $60, ah, you get the point. Sure those other companies have nothing to do with the cell provider's data plans, but as a consumer it adds up. I just think it's excessive pricing for their plans. Now if the speeds were as fast as my cable modem, I'd happily pay it. It's just too much of a "gimmick" for $80/month...as well as $45/month.

    Vision data plans

    I guess it's how you use it. For me, it's mostly liesure. I suppose if you use it for business, any price is acceptable.
  13. #13  
    But those are for connection card plans, are they not? I thought he was talking about the data plan for the Treo.

    VZW also charges $80 for them, and I'd pay if I needed it because I can't rely on every place I go to have WiFi.

    Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
  14. #14  
    It seems here that all you have to do is tell them you are using ptunes and that's the end of that.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    It seems here that all you have to do is tell them you are using ptunes and that's the end of that.
    Great advice...this has solved the problem for others in the past.
  16. #16  
    I really don't think there is any entrapment or bait & switch going on.

    In Sprints policies, dont they state that you cannot use your treo as a modem?
    Using your Sprint PCS Phone as a modem in connection with any other device (computers, etc) is strictly prohibited under the terms of your unlimited Sprint PCS Vision Plan.
    If its always been like that, and you can buy the data plan that they advertise, then where is the bait and switch?

    If you want to do that, then you have to pay the higher data plan. Simply because Sprint has allowed DUN does not mean that they are admitting to waiving all rights to go after people who abuse their data policy. Sprint could very easily argue that they enabled DUN for their higher data users Remember...no one is forcing or coercing you into tethering your treo with DUN. Because of that, there is no entrapment either.

    Now don't get me wrong. ..I have used PDAnet before and it worked fine but if Sprint sent me a letter, I wouldnt get too bent out of shape about it. Their policy seems pretty straightforward.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    But those are for connection card plans, are they not? I thought he was talking about the data plan for the Treo.

    VZW also charges $80 for them, and I'd pay if I needed it because I can't rely on every place I go to have WiFi.

    Pamela
    Pamela, that could be the case. I honestly don't know, but I've never heard of a "PDA" only unlimited data plan. If they have one, it isn't published anywhere. I'd be curious if they are working on new plans for PDA's. Wouldn't be a surprise to me.

    KRamsauer, you are probably right...I have just waited for the day Sprint would no longer be the low price carrier for data. Guess that day is coming soon. Just seems data prices are headed the wrong direction. I still think that in order for this technology to explode, it has to be affordable for every one. Thankfully everything on my account is unilmited (SMS, "data," pictures, I have more minutes than I can possibly use). I would hate to be one of those people (most everyone) who gets concerned with every picture/SMS you send or receive. I don't want to be on a diet with technology. It's there to use, and not make you worry. If I had 100 SMS's and 20 pics a month, my bill would be a fortune. I don't even think carriers offer unlimited SMS or pics anymore...and the large plans are very costly.

    Anyhow, I'm getting off topic. Yeah, just say it is ptunes and let it go. If they press further, then escalate it or pay a fortune for DUN.
  18. #18  
    VZW offers TXT packages starting at $2.99/month for 100, and also unlimited IN-TXT.

    Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
  19. #19  
    I remember the deal I have now wtih VZW. I have 200 Text messages with no In text...got this plan about 1yr ago and im payin $2.99 for just the 200 text to ne one..I want...Fruck the $80.00Mo vzw.
  20. BenJoeM's Avatar
    Posts
    786 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #20  
    I got this same letter about 2 years ago when I started using my phone to download movies off of Kazaa and Bearshare...I through it away! Never heard from them again.

    But my buddy is still doing it and got a bill. The just switched him to a new plan with out telling him because of his hi data usage, well his bill was for $2,000!!! Fortunatly he is a rich kid and has a family lawyer on retainer and they called sprint and they never bothered him again.

    But why would Sprint activate the usage of our Treos as a Modem if they don't want us doing it!

    THEY ARE CRAZY
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions