Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM
    But why would Sprint activate the usage of our Treos as a Modem if they don't want us doing it!
    But they do want you doing it because they can charge you more.
    hey..
    AHHH the old Sprint usage delema. I have had these discussions with them already.

First of all, Sprint defines unlimited data useage to surfing the web only. If you have a Vision premium unlimited data plan, You only get a $10.00 credit toward downloads per month. Which comes out to 1000 kilobytes or 1 megabyte. Anything over that, they can charge you $10.00 per 1000 kilobytes more.

Now to the phone being used as a modem. According to the service agreement I have, Sprint does not allow you to access Vision by way of using the phone as a modem. To me, if I access Vision data plan by telling my computer to dial the phone, then that is using it as a modem. I tried that already. The modem software was destabilized badly on the second try.

I got my 650 in December of 2004 and 4 days later I purchased the PDA Net software by JUNEFABRICS. Now I send the web from the phone to my laptop. To do this I am accessing Sprint Vision by dialing the phone. This is no different than getting the web on the phone itself. Technically, this software turns the phone into a router. there is nothing in the service agreement that says you can't use the phone as a router. I am sure this is true for the DUN update in the firmware 1.12 update.

At one time they turned my Vision Plan into a wireless web account and said I was over my web minutes by 4 minutes. They never said a word about it. I noticed the new deal on my bill when I got home from being on the road. I called them up and got them straightened out, and my Vision plan back to normal. You have to be on Sprint pretty heavy for a while. It seems to me, they have limited knowledge about this 3G technology the Cell companies are switching over to. You have to be an informed consumer.

I usually spend about 3 to 4 hours a night on the web, surfing only. If I want to go crazy downloading, I use wifi. about $4.95 for 24 hours. I can download over a 100 megabytes. A lot cheaper than it would be at Sprints limit.

Chuck
    So unlimited is actually a single megabyte? I find that hard to believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    So unlimited is actually a single megabyte? I find that hard to believe.
    Yep it's true... the "unlimited" is for surfing only, no data downloads over the 1000 kilobytes credit included in your monthly Vision charge. If you have Sprint as a carrier. Anything over that they can and probably will charge you $10.00 per 1000 kilobytes downloaded. I am sure the other carriers have similar limits.

Since 1000 kilobytes is equal to 1 megabyte, that is all you get.

You can call and ask them to define unlimited to you. You will get the same definition of "unlimited".

You see, before the "3G techonolgy" switch over, the cell companies really didn't have a way to charge us for data packets. We could get on the web and surf and download stuff as long as you had enough minutes in your plan to cover data transfer. They would typically charge data as 1 megabyte equals 1 minute.

Now thanks to, in a large part, Qual Com and in a small part, Nextel, the cell companies can separate various types of data into packets and charge a specific fee for each packet type, plus voice minutes. nice deal for them.

Chuck
  5.    #25  
    So, does streaming count as surfing, or is that a different type of download? I've been trying to find some of Sprint's terms and conditions on the web and so far have found this. Free PictureMail, well that's a surprise. Why do they want to charge me $5/mo if I use that service?

I'm sure they will be able to swith the services provided in their contract whenever they feel like it... in the business world it seems a little on the shady side. If I changed a contract, I believe I would have to have an agreement with the other party or there would be a lawsuit. (Not just a rip on Sprint, but any provider in general)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnout
    If I changed a contract, I believe I would have to have an agreement with the other party or there would be a lawsuit. (Not just a rip on Sprint, but any provider in general)
    Agreed but doesnt Sprint have a term in their contract where they reserve the right to change it at their leisure?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    My Treo will be smoking with the amount of data coming through via PTunes.
    LOL! I can just imagine the poor little Treo on the nightstand with smoke pooring out.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Agreed but doesnt Sprint have a term in their contract where they reserve the right to change it at their leisure?

But of course. Shysters always make their loopholes. The problem is it's difficult to stay up on what their service covers. It is almost impossible to find any information on their website, and it could change every week for all we know.
    So, does streaming count as surfing, or is that a different type of download? I've been trying to find some of Sprint's terms and conditions on the web and so far have found this. Free PictureMail, well that's a surprise. Why do they want to charge me $5/mo if I use that service?

I'm sure they will be able to swith the services provided in their contract whenever they feel like it... in the business world it seems a little on the shady side. If I changed a contract, I believe I would have to have an agreement with the other party or there would be a lawsuit. (Not just a rip on Sprint, but any provider in general)

Hey burnout..

It appears to me that you are receiving data streamed to your phone through an open data connection. Sprint is obviously looking at this streaming as a continuous download. To them you are going over the download limit. Hence the letter asking you to change to a wireless webb connection. Which translates to more money you pay them. They base their wireless webb connection fees on specific download megabytes you receive. 20 megabytes would equal $xx.xx, 40 megabytes would equal $xx.xx, you get the picture.

I would do what was suggested already and call sprint and discuss this with them. Ask them to tell you how many kilobytes or megabytes they see you downloading. They may not realize what you are streaming to your phone.

Chuck
    Quote Originally Posted by chckhbrt
    Yep it's true... the "unlimited" is for surfing only, no data downloads over the 1000 kilobytes credit included in your monthly Vision charge. If you have Sprint as a carrier. Anything over that they can and probably will charge you $10.00 per 1000 kilobytes downloaded. I am sure the other carriers have similar limits.
    If that is true, everyone should be expecting a letter soon because e-mail no doubt will throw everyone over that limit.

I maintain that such a limit is so insane that no one, not even sprint, would impose it.
    A recent review of your Sprint PCS Account noted an unusually large amount of data usage with your spring pcs phone. In our experience usage of this level is typically the result of using the phone as a modem...
    Is this the verbatim text of the letter ? Why the "spring pcs phone" ?

Anyways, it is curious that the text says "In our experience..." People keep on saying that Sprint has methods for detecting *with certainty* whether a phone is being used as a modem or not. The wording does not suggest that Sprint knows for sure...
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie
    Is this the verbatim text of the letter ? Why the "spring pcs phone" ?

Anyways, it is curious that the text says "In our experience..." People keep on saying that Sprint has methods for detecting *with certainty* whether a phone is being used as a modem or not. The wording does not suggest that Sprint knows for sure...
    Yes, this was transcribed by me. I was testing my typing abilities learned in the 9th grade. Only the names were changed to protect the innocent.
    Sprint sounds like a restaurant that offers all you can eat and gets pissed when a fat guy comes in and gorges himself. Sure they'll lose money on the occasional glutton- but they more than make up for it with everyone else with a normal apetite. Sorry, Sprint you made your bed, now you have to lie in it.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Got my letter today! I am calling them right now!

UPDATE

I just got off the phone and the rep told me the following:

1. Those letters are warnings only sent out to get people to call in and if they are using it as a modem it is to stop them from using it for two reasons.
    1. Sprint Says it will Damage the Phone
    2. Sprint wants you on a higher plan.
    2. I specifically asked if they were going to change my plan or charge me more and he said, "Sprint will not change your plan with authorization from you."

3. Basically he told me, it is a trap to get people to admit using it and switch over.

I told him when I got the phone I asked what I need to do to access the internet and email and they said Vision so I got it, so you are stuck with my usage.

WE ARE IN THE CLEAR!
    Last edited by BenJoeM; 07/15/2005 at 10:42 AM. Reason: UPDATE
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    I don't get how people consistently think that data prices are high when it comes to how much data is used. VZW's unlimited is $45 a month, and while it seems high, I know how much data I use. And I know that data is not free.

Now, I know it's not priced the same way as say, a web server, but I do understand that there's a level I can hit where they are losing money.

At any rate, I have no problem paying what I pay because I think I'm getting my money's worth.

Pamela
    I'm no techie, But from my work at Nextel a few years ago, there does not seem to be significant higher operational costs associated with increased data traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by chckhbrt
    hey..
    If you have a Vision premium unlimited data plan, You only get a $10.00 credit toward downloads per month. Which comes out to 1000 kilobytes or 1 megabyte. Anything over that, they can charge you $10.00 per 1000 kilobytes more.
    I have had a treo for a couple of years now and routinely download 20-40 mb/month MINIMUM and have NEVER been charged a penny over my plan. Also, I have never received "the letter" either.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III --> Palm V --> Visor Prism -->Palm VII --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p -->Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    I'm no techie, But from my work at Nextel a few years ago, there does not seem to be significant higher operational costs associated with increased data traffic.
    There are no higher operational costs, but there is only so much capacity that their network can handle. If too many customers use their phones for DUN, there is a high liklihood that either some customers won't be able to access the network, or it may crash. While it's highly unlikley that their network will crash due to capacity issues, I would assume the actual motivation for this is financially driven.
    Is this really an official Sprint letter because it has more typos than anything I ever seen from Sprint.
    Also, and this is just a hunch, unless your account name is "burnout," hard for me to imagine this being addressed to "Dear burnout"?

July 1, 2005

Dear burnout,

A recent review of your Sprint PCS Account noted an unusually large amount of data usage with your spring pcs phone.<~~~S_PCS is always caps In our experience usage of this level is typically the result of using the phone as a modem. Using your Sprint PCS Phone as a modem in connection with any other device (computers, etc) is strictly prohibited under the terms of your unlimited Sprint PCS Vision Plan.

To the extent you wish to continue to use your Sprint PCS Phone as a modem, you will need to change your Sprint PCS Vision Plan. Sprint offers a number of data-only plans, which are similar to our voice plans, whereby you are allotted a certain number of megabytes for a monthly recurring charge. These data plans are in addition to the voice calling plan that you have on your phone.

Please note that continuing to use your Sprint PCS Phone as a modem on your current unlimited Sprint PCS Vision Plan is not an option and may result in cancellation of your Sprint PCS Vision Service.

To find out more about our data-only plans, please visit a Sprint Store or contact Sprint at 000000 today. We look forward to working with you to set you up on a plan to serve your wireless dat needs.

We apologize for any confusion and thank you for your continued business,

Sprint Customer Service
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex
    Is this really an official Sprint letter because it has more typos than anything I ever seen from Sprint.
    Also, and this is just a hunch, unless your account name is "burnout," hard for me to imagine this being addressed to "Dear burnout"?
    Look at post #32......
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM
    Got my letter today! I am calling them right now!

UPDATE

I just got off the phone and the rep told me the following:

1. Those letters are warnings only sent out to get people to call in and if they are using it as a modem it is to stop them from using it for two reasons.
    1. Sprint Says it will Damage the Phone
    2. Sprint wants you on a higher plan.
    2. I specifically asked if they were going to change my plan or charge me more and he said, "Sprint will not change your plan with authorization from you."

3. Basically he told me, it is a trap to get people to admit using it and switch over.

I told him when I got the phone I asked what I need to do to access the internet and email and they said Vision so I got it, so you are stuck with my usage.

WE ARE IN THE CLEAR!
    Very good. I wonder if anyone will take the time to read my letter I sent and respond to it. I have emailed Sprint in the past and have never heard anything back from them, so I will expect the same with snail mail.

Sprint Says it will Damage the Phone Hahahaha. Thanks for including the DUN in the update!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast