1.    #1  
    Not sure if this has been covered but here you go.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1834858,00.asp
    $80 a month for unlimited EV-DO !?!

I don't think so. I am not that much of a speed freak!! $30 is my top end.

Let's hope it comes down by the time they start offering EV-DO Treos.

Cheers , Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 07/12/2005 at 06:13 AM.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I'm not biting if that's how much they will charge for unlimited data.

that's ridiculous. sprint's whole appeal was their affordable data plan - if they lose that, they lose me.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    As well, the statement about a roll out to 60 cities by "early 2006" lends credence to the speculation that the next Treo will not be out until then. . . . .(rather than late 4thQ 2005)
    Last edited by gtwo; 07/12/2005 at 08:07 AM.
    80 bucks a month is a little out of my price range for highspeed data. Currently, the speed I get from Sprint is good enough to check weather, movie times, and news. Ofcourse I know more is available with highspeed, but right now the costs don't seem to justifiy it.
  6.    #6  
    I think the $80 is for laptop service.
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    I think the $80 is for laptop service.
    That makes sense, since they do not hav an EV-DO cell phone out yet, but if it is for a cell phone, as well, they no doubt will have a firestorm on their hands. . .
    If there was a EV-DO Treo with $15/month unlimited.........to quote Evilghost when the Sprint 1.12 update came out, "Sweetness in my mouth socket":
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    . If they offered ev-do for $15 - $20 for unlimited data on a treo? That'd be strawberry shake sweetness in my mouth socket!
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Question, I read in the article that some users are getting 500-800kbps with 1xevdo. Is this true? This is good enough for most of what I do...So, what if I drop my cable modem service and budget my 80/month for 1xevdo for both home and mobile use? Like I say, this is just fine for my purposes. Then, at home, one day I decide to download a 100MB windows update. Will Verizon or Sprint ding me?

In other words, does the age old question, "is an all-you-can-eat unlimited data plan, really unlimted?" still worth asking like it used to be a few years ago?

I've not been keeping up as much as I used to.

Thanks.
    I believe the $80 is for unlimited laptop service which is only $10 more then normal.. so this can be good for mobile users because that would put unlimited data at $25 a month just $10 more..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    If you have Business account you get the Card free ($249) for New activation 2yr contract .Then get your Business disc of 18% (GP) $65.60 then average the cost of the card over 2 years $55.23 Month for unlimited fast internet in your calling area , its not really that bad.
    I already have an unlimted 1xrtt data plan with Sprint. I beleive with rebates/incentives, I can get an EVDO card for free (I have a biz account), and pay the same $80/month. For me, It's a no brainer.
    Carl
    Quote Originally Posted by rwilson290
    Question, I read in the article that some users are getting 500-800kbps with 1xevdo. Is this true? This is good enough for most of what I do...So, what if I drop my cable modem service and budget my 80/month for 1xevdo for both home and mobile use? Like I say, this is just fine for my purposes. Then, at home, one day I decide to download a 100MB windows update. Will Verizon or Sprint ding me?
    I can't speak for Sprint, but the speed you quote is conceivable with Verizon (typically in the 300-500kbps range in my experience). According to the Terms of Agreement, the EVDO service is not to be used for streaming audio/video or for "large downloads" (whatever that means). In the (almost) 2 years I've had Verizon's EVDO service, I have exceeded 2 gb per month almost every month, have downloaded files larger than 100 mb, and routinely stream music (which is actually not that big of a bandwidth hog) and have never heard from them. I suspect you won't trigger their usage monitors unless you're hosting a busy web site or using the EVDO as an internet access point for a busy network, both which would involve (relatively) continuous long-term use of an IP address.
    I have been using both the Sprint and Verizon EVDO cards as we deploy both to our users at work. We consistently get 1Mbit/sec and peaks to 1.6Mb with Sprint's Merlin card. Don't get the Sierra card, Merlin S620 card is much much better because it has dual hi density antennas and noise cancellation.

With Verizon, we only gets about 400-800Kbits/sec avg with some peaks to 1Mbit, even in low density areas. Sprint with VPN often outperforms Verizon with no VPN.

The Sprint card was often too fast for the 600K test on dslreports.com/mspeed. Had to use broadband testers to keep up.

And $80/month is well worth it if you are mobile and job depends on net access. It's great to not have to search for inconsistent WiFi hotspots.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery